PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

new2disco
09-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey,
I'm new to Landrovers and have lots of questions...A friend of mine gave me a 95 Disco for free. New tires, brakes & rotors but it does have its problems...Rusted front floors. Mechanically it seems pretty sound for a vehicle that shows 168K except for ABS light on dash and Diff. lock is frozen. He drove it from Southern Maryland and dropped it at my doorstep in Harford County. I'd love to get it up and running. Are floor panels available?

sven
09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Nice! Roversnorth used to sell complete sills and partial floor repair panels. Not sure if they still have them. Another idea is to buy used cut-out pieces from one of the used rover guys (Randy Williams, Will Tillery, etc).

Disco96JSWB
10-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I like the Mini in the background (behind the Disco) . . .

Rob P
10-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Ah Harford county. I used to live in Shawsville north of Jarrettsville. The D1 (discovery series one) is a good trail machine and not too demanding other than rust issues. The ABS light and the Check Engine light will be your constant companions on many journeys. Diff lock should be fixable with some lube in the right places. I've heard it called "Towny Syndrome" where the case is never shifted into lock and the lever freezes up from non use. There are some very helpful people on here that nursed me through my first 4 years of Rover ownership and I'm glad to know them all.

new2disco
10-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Thanks... I pulled ABS code 2-13. It blinks over and over... couldn't seem to clear it. Tomorrow I will tackle the diff issue and give my Disco a good once over. Hopefully no new issues.

My mini is an '87 brought in as a '60... Many mods though, it's been a work in progress!

Disco96JSWB
10-02-2011, 05:40 AM
My mini is an '87 brought in as a '60... Many mods though, it's been a work in progress!

Vtec !!
We have a '61 Morris Mini Minor and a '66 Mini Moke.

You should plan to come out to the club's trials at Robesonia. You'll have fun.

new2disco
10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm hoping to do a few events... I have to get both back on the road. The mini has a MINI TEC sub-frame under it with a motor hopefully producing about 120-140hp. I pulled the MG1100 out of it, trying to sell it.

I pulled the Diff-lock apart- top portion is completely frozen..dissimilar-metal corrosion! Hopefully getting it back together today then start on the floors.

new2disco
10-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Well, the last two days attempted to fix the frozen diff-lock. I was able to free the linkage to allow the diff to engage but couldn't get it out of Hi... With some guidance from Trevor at Roverlab I was able to locate the TC solenoid. I removed it and everything seems to operate properly. I bench tested the solenoid and it actuates fine. It appears to be a new unit.

Should I troubleshoot the system to find why it wont operate or just remove it and work on the next problem.

Rob P
10-05-2011, 05:19 AM
TC=what? Traction Control? I'd say if it holds no function for you then trash it and go on. If it is important then find the root cause.

I had A/C troubles in my 96 Disco. The A/C electric radiator fans still would kick on but the wire going to the clutch was dead so I rerouted the wire going to the clutch to join up with the fans. Problem solved even though it isn't right.

new2disco
10-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Sorry, I should have written "solenoid on transfer case" or "transfer gearbox".

My truck has a few electrical circuits which aren't working, just curious if no power to the solenoid is tied in to another issue.

galen211
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Toss that solenoid and never look back. Its only purpose it to ensure you don't engage low range while driving at highway speed. I think we can all assume you won't do that. :)

Lyle4LClover
10-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I have had many "new " trucks in the past. My advice is to make them as "series" like as possible. Get rid of every electronic componenet you don't need. If you need fuses, ECU's, switches, and the like you may gladly have your fill from my garage shelves. The more I removed from my "new" trucks the better they were. If it's yellow or red, wire or relay, get rid of it. Air bags will go off if you hit a challange hard enough on a trail! If it says "ABS", remember, your not running the 24 at Le Mans in the rain, your in the woods, the tires may slide, you don't want the brakes to let go when finally grab the last hope for traction before you hit the tree! Get a wiring diagram for your rig and remove everything you don't need. You'll be better off. Brake shift interlock, that silly thing that prevents low range when you need it most, the "alphabet" codes, like ABS, SRS, etc, you don't need it as much as you don't need our government "alphabet " soup, ATF, IRS, EPA, etc.
Lyle

new2disco
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question... Can the ABS and Airbag systems be temporarily disabled for off-road then applied again for normal driving? My daughter may drive the truck on occasion. Safety First!

galen211
10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
For the ABS, just pull the fuse and it will be disabled as long as you want. At the end of the day, put it back in.

For the airbag there is no way that I am aware of. Having said that I have never seen an airbag deploy off road. If you are hitting things that hard you are going to break a lot of stuff.

Oh and on the ABS. Don't worry, if will fail soon enough on its own. :)

rvrsrvc
10-14-2011, 02:54 AM
I've never seen SRS deploy off road; I think our speeds are too slow as I believe SRS needs speed and duration of sudden decelaration to activate.

The solenoid is supposed to prevent shifting of the t-case unless the transmission is in neutral. Items related: Fuse F12, 2 Interlock solenoids, transfer case position switch, Interlock Diode 1 and a transfer box solenoid diode.
One potential failure w/o the solenoid in play is that even with the transmission in park, if the t-case is not engaged in Low or Hi, the car could roll. But, I utilise my driveshaft brake as a habit!

DiscoDaze
10-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I have an amigo buddy if you want to make the "The Three Amigos" go away.
l'm located in Elkton, MD.
An ABS wheel sensor failure can also mean there is too much clearnace in the wheel bearing and the bearing is worn out. It's a common Disco problem. I have changed out three of mine and I'm waiting for the fourth wheel bearing to go. Who knows maybe it never will. These things are very hit and miss with the Disco's. It worth a look. I would not ingnore the amigos for too long. At least identify the problem then you can decide to let it go or not.

All the best,
Disco Daze

sven
10-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I have an amigo buddy if you want to make the "The Three Amigos" go away.
l'm located in Elkton, MD.
An ABS wheel sensor failure can also mean there is too much clearnace in the wheel bearing and the bearing is worn out. It's a common Disco problem. I have changed out three of mine and I'm waiting for the fourth wheel bearing to go. Who knows maybe it never will. These things are very hit and miss with the Disco's. It worth a look. I would not ingnore the amigos for too long. At least identify the problem then you can decide to let it go or not.

All the best,
Disco Daze

That only works on a D2, the OP has a 95 D1.

new2disco
10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
While troubleshooting the issue-( no power to transfer case solenoid), I noticed that I don't get an audible tone when t-case is placed in neutral position. Could this be part of the issue? Also, does anyone have wire schematics for this system?

rvrsrvc
10-19-2011, 04:52 AM
Atlantic British and Rovers north have Genuine manuals, but a RAVE disc is what you need. Repair manual, electrical trouble shooting manual ( component locator, fuse and power distribution, connector descriptions, earth points, description of function), and many others.

I use a subscription land rover database, the RAVE and about 50 manuals to keep these things going.
And a hammer.

Anyone know where to get a RAVE?

scatterling
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I have a disc that was burned for me. If I can figure out how to burn one I'll be glad to get one to you. -----Invaluable piece of software. Anyone (Sean?!) know if there is a way we could put the content up here somewhere so that we would always have access?

DiscoDaze
10-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I was able to find the RAVE manual for the D2 online and I down loaded it for free. Do some searching and check the LR message boards.

DiscoDaze
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I found the DI RAVE and other manuals for free down load in pdf format.
Follow this link.

http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/rave-manual-download-33681/

scatterling
10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
You're welcome :p

.....what I meant to say was " that was burned for me by some awesome guy named Sven" :D

sven
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I have a disc that was burned for me.

You're welcome :p