PDA

View Full Version : Series III coming back from England

crazyfish
11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Got this email today, thought I'd post it up for you to add your thoughts:
( I also thought he means NOT a problem since it is over 25 years )

I've been in the UK for more than two years working on a Boeing project in Gosport, England. Planning to return to Wallingford, PA soon. Would like to bring back my 1980 Series III SWB which I bought last November.
I found an importer which appears to be reputable, Hill Shipping/Trans Global Auto Logistics. Fran Markowitz at Mini Obsession recommended them.
I found a mechanic in Kennett Square who appears to be reputable. I stopped by to meet Jon Palita when I was home on annual leave in August. Jon can do the PA state safety inspection. No emissions test required.
I spoke to Howard Marder at the Customs House about the import paperwork. He told me there would be a problem since it is more than 25 years old.
My only remaining question is about registering it in PA. Are there any problem registering a RHD car in PA? I don't want any kind of a restricted registration like "antique." I would like to drive it to work in Ridley each day.
I've attached on photo of my truck from a year ago. Have added some driving lamps since then, but it basically looks the same.
Plan to join your club as soon as I get back.

Rex

Rex Russell

siiirhd88
11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
We've three (two at the moment...) RHD Series trucks registered and inspected in Pa. We had no legal difficulties with the registration, but ours had titles from other states when we registered them in Pa. I'm not sure what problem you might have with just the England and import paperwork.

RHD is not an issue, as the current and ex-mail trucks were built that way. We see a lot of Jeep Cherokees and Wranglers that are RHD....

Inspection should be by someone who understands older trucks. Some of the inspection people have never seen brake drums held in place with screws or even swivel balls.... We once had an inspection mechanic question the lack of side marker lamps, reverse lamps and dual circuit brakes on our '75 SIII so we went to someone else. It now has dual circuit brakes and reverse lamps anyway.

The state title and inspection info can be found here:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

Bob

rvrsrvc
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I've bought some parts from Jon and has been a pleasure to do business with him. I haven't had any work done as I also am a Rover shop, near Hershey!