PDA

View Full Version : Bent steering track rod

Disco96JSWB
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
The Rovertym steering track rod (behind the front axle) is bent on our '96 Disco. (I'm going to guess it's an inch away from being straight in the center.) It's enough that it caused a big vibration from time to time.

I'll get it straightened and/or buy another. Other than carrying a spare and a tie-rod separator, is there anything else that is generally done?

Possibilities: either 'sleeve' it with another tube or install a skid plate, but a skid plate seems like it would get hung up all the time . . .

Frank84
12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
In my opinion, the best thing is to get an offset one. I think Lucky8 may have two different ones. One is much less expensive than the other.

It is bent up on the driver's side giving you good clearance under there, but comes back down to the stock height to fit under the diff.

http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2318

The other thing you could add is a small guard that bolts to the diff housing. There are some after market ones (Lucky8 once again) and also a genuine part is available. My defender has one stock. It only protects the part of the track rod that is behind the diff. It won't work with the QT diff guards - which already provide this protection.

http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2755

I don't have either of these on my truck. But I'd like to. I bent my rovertym track rod once, bent it back, re-aligned the truck, and I have been more careful ever since.

I'm not sure I'd sleeve the already heavy duty track rod. I'd rather that bend than break a tie rod or steering knuckle.

Disco96JSWB
12-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Frank, for your helpful response. I'll skip the idea of sleeving the link for the reasons you laid out. So the plan is to straighten the old Rovertym link and then to buy the Lucky 8 offset one as the long-term solution. I cleaned up the original and removed the steering damper to have a spare in the meantime.

Jeremy

galen211
12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Before I lift my Disco I had planned to do a stronger steering rod, but this thread makes me wonder why bother? I had no idea the aftermarket rods could be bent also.

scatterling
12-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I just paid $50 to have my Rovertym one bent straight again. I think the truck would have been undrivable if I had the original one on and bent it. I hit stuff hard :D
Overall I think worth the money.

pushngo
12-15-2011, 08:38 PM
They will bend but the stockers also break then you're stuck. If you have access to a lift truck that is the straightening solution.

Frank84
12-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Before I lift my Disco I had planned to do a stronger steering rod, but this thread makes me wonder why bother? I had no idea the aftermarket rods could be bent also.

I'd at least consider carrying a spare stock one. I have the HD rovertym one on the truck and also a spare one (minus TRE's) under the rear seat. I got the spare from Jason after he bent it and was going to toss it. Took a 20 ton press to get it straight-ish.

One advantage to the stock one is that it can be straightened on the trail much easier with a bottle jack. Once a stock one bends i'd replace it asap though.

But if you have the cash, get the offset one.

Disco96JSWB
12-23-2011, 05:06 PM
$10 to straighten the Rovertym link was a good deal, but then on top of that was a trip to Goodyear for alignment . . .

This is the weakest link (pun intended) off-road. There are probably reasons the track rod is down low, but rock crawling isn't one of them.

Jeremy

pushngo
12-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I had a Hi steer for sale forever and no one wqanted it ... now it's gone but realistically just carry a stocker to get you back to camp ot home it doesn't happen that often