PDA

View Full Version : Disco II Oil Leaks

DiscoDaze
12-31-2011, 07:28 PM
My 1999 Disco II has developed four problematic oil leaks over the last year. Oil Sump, Valve Covers, Rear Main Seal and Transfercase access cover. I decided to tackle the oil sump first so I ordered a new gasket from Atlantic British.
It was a pretty easy job to remove and clean the sump. So easy that I did not bother to consult the RAVE manual before starting the job. I replaced the gasket and finished the job in about 3 hours. However, what I did not do, becuase I failed to read the manual, was apply sealant to the casing breaks and put a dab of sealant at the crucifix seal points on each side of the aftermost main bearing. So I have ordered a second new gasket and the sump will be coming off again next weekend. The oil sump on the 1999.5 Bosch engine has two rubber plugs that give access to the troque converter housing. My two plugs were very deteriorated and swollen from the oil leakage so they were not usable and needed to be replaced. These plugs do not show up in the RAVE manual nor are they available from Rovers North or Atlantic British. I had to order them from the Land Rover dealership in Wilmington DE ($10.00 for both). I though that I could install them with the sump in situ so I reinstalled the sump and waited for the plugs to arrive. Well you can't get them in with the sump installed. I can't anyway. So the sump would be coming off again anyway. Without these plugs, New Jersey Pine Barren Swamp water will flow freely into the troque converter housing. Make sure you order these plugs before you start this job as it is likely they will have to be replaced.
The next project will be the valve cover gaskets as this is where the majority of leak oil is coming from. I have already tightened the outside bolts which were very loose but they still leak.
Questions:
1. How hard is it to remove the throttle body and top end intake?
2. Do I need to remove the A/C Compressor?

Please, if you have done this job, let me know of any pitfalls. Thanks.

DiscoDaze

Frank84
01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Removing the upper intake / plenum on a DII isn't too bad - there are worse jobs. You just need some patience to get all of the clips and wires off cleanly. Small hands help too. Take your time. It is a great time to replace ignition wires if yours are old.

The A/C compressor can just be moved to the side. No need to disconnect any of the lines.

DiscoDaze
01-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Finished the oil sump job this weekend. I did it right this time.
I'm still looking at the upper intake. Not sure yet if I want tackle the job
myself. I will definatly change the wires and plugs when the plenum is off.
They are about 5 years old now.
How often do you need to change the coil packs?

Frank84
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
How often do you need to change the coil packs?

I just replaced the originals on my dad's DII last fall - 310k miles. Only one was actually shot, but I replaced both. It is cheapest to order the two coil packs individually without the mounting bracket and then just swap the new coil packs onto the old bracket. When they are shot, you'll get a code for misfires. But there are lots of things that can cause misfires so it can take a few minutes (or maybe days...) to track down the actual problem.

If you are in doubt, replace them since it is super easy to do when you have things apart anyway. Keep the old ones as spares for trouble shooting at a later date.