PDA

View Full Version : Robesonia Trials - Spring 2012

87xj95disco
01-12-2012, 08:26 PM
ok here we go. Trail work will be on Saturday April 21st and April 22nd. the event will be on Saturday April 28th. i will be there on the 22nd and 28th. Drivers meeting will be 9:45 am. This event will be for the advaced. Please bring tools to cut tree limbs and brush,gloves, and anything you can think of to make it easier. We will be making 10 courses see you all there. mike stevens

Lyle4LClover
03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Here we go! Due to the unprecendented weather my father and I are opening up both the work days and event days to camping! All we ask is that you show respect and not burn down the woods! We have mostly brush to move so bring gloves, chainsaw, nippers and hand saws. Overall it's looking better than Fall as my Dad has been bringing in tree tops for firewood. I, of course, have some evil plans for trails again as usual! I am always asking about use of the property below but never quite nail it down. I will be inquiring again this year in hopes we can set up a section or two. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. If anyone has any questions start asking awhile.
Thanks, Lyle

Rob P
03-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Im ready, Grady has only been asking about the trials event for 4 months. He wants to set up trails with you Lyle.

hilltoppersx
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
FYI someone on facebook was looking for the address.

87xj95disco
03-21-2012, 05:44 PM
FYI someone on facebook was looking for the address.

taken care of

Rob P
04-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Lyle, Oh Lyle, Shall I attempt to bring saw of chain along? I'll have Grady with me for sure.

Lyle4LClover
04-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Rob, bring Grady and the chainsaw. I need an engineer to help me design courses and we'll need to clear some larger deadfall. We need to do a general cleanup of downed branches. There are no more (or very little) in the way of standing trees or sticker bushes to go through, mostly just downed tree tops yet. Some trails I'd like to use are pretty heavily covered, thinking tow straps to pull the offending branches to a better location? It'll save us time compared to cutting it all up and moving by hand. Of the regular interconnecting trails they are 95% open at this point, just need to clear the actual trails we want to use through the woods. Look forward to seeing everyone again!
Lyle

DiscoSux
04-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Im ready, Grady has only been asking about the trials event for 4 months.

Maybe if you went four wheeling somewhere else once in a while... :p

87xj95disco
04-18-2012, 07:35 AM
for anyone that is going to help this weekend for trail prep grab your rain gear too.

Hammertime
04-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Hey I promised I would come and help cleanup but..... In the mean time a wedding came up that I have to attend. Am I/we going to be shunned if I show up at the event and not worked? sorry in advance.

DiscoSux
04-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Am I/we going to be shunned if I show up at the event and not worked?

You mean like most everyone else that didn't help but shows up at the events (including me)? Anyone that lays a D90 over on its side is welcome I believe. :cool:

Lyle, can we get a little play time if I can get up there to help?

dcarr1971
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I'd come help if I didn't live close to 300 miles away. I think my buddy (Kerry) is planning to come help out this weekend though, so feel free to work him extra hard. ;)

Lyle4LClover
04-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Everyone is welcome, including Dana! (keep it on it's wheels please!) Come on out. For those attending this weekend and planning on camping but worried about the possible rainy weather, grow up! Sorry, I mean come up anyway! My father has an apartment that will easily sleep 6 or more on site for use if the weather is bad, same with the event weekend if anyone is planning on camping. For those coming this weekend the address is:
101 East Mountain Ave.
Robesonia PA
My cell number for those lost, (in the mountains, not life) is 484-357-9058.
Many are planning on coming out to work days on Sunday, not so many Saturday. I'm not sure if you want to leave me unsupervised on Saturday! You know what happens! (remember the section "jackrabbit" we ran backwards a few events ago?!) For all those coming up for the work weekend, there will be plenty of playtime in the 1900 acres behind my house and the 11 acres below my Dads nicknamed "the playground". We will be breaking about noon for lunch at the usual diner, Tony's Pizza at the West end of town.
please call me if you have any questions!
Lyle

DiscoSux
04-18-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd come help if I didn't live close to 300 miles away. I think my buddy (Kerry) is planning to come help out this weekend though, so feel free to work him extra hard. ;)

Are you coming for the event, Dave?

dcarr1971
04-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Are you coming for the event, Dave?

Yep...I'll be there.

Lyle4LClover
04-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Head count for work days? Especially tomorrow? Anyone want to set canes? Trade for play time! Let me know if anyone is able to make it out tomorrow so I know to stay at Dads house till 9:00 or a little later or if I should head into the hills.
Thanks, Lyle

Rob P
04-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Grady and myself will be attending along with Chain Saw

DiscoSux
04-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I am thinking Sunday Lyle. Jensen has a Lacrosse game tomorrow. Or are you bagging Sunday and doing it all tomorrow? I would not be able to make it tomorrow until late afternoon.

Lyle4LClover
04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
We've got 8 of 10 trails done. Only two more to do. I made some new ones and altered a few that were up already. We have some that will challenge the best. All were driven by a stock series II and a disco with a 2" lift and half bald street tires (except one as the bald street tires did not offer enough traction to get started, I made it through though and set the gates wide to accomodate coil sprung trucks.) Tomorrow (Sunday) we will set the final two sections at the top of the mountain. I have some ideas, some awful ideas!Today was beautiful if not downright hot in the afternoon. It just started raining here now. Lets hope for good weather next weekend for the event, if not, remember, for those who with to stay over there is an apartment to use on the property. Any questions?, give me a call or email. Hope to see you here!
Lyle

Lyle4LClover
04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, we got done in time, just started raining here. Due to the fact that I can't count, we now have 11 courses for next week. We will run six before our lunch break. I want to thank all those that did come out as we made 9 sections in one day! Mike and I finished two up top this morning and walked all the others. Our first section starts off of the driveway near the bottom so we ask that you please don't be late as there will be a bottle neck. If you find yourself late and try to come up with Rovers in the lane you may park across the street at the stone home. Please stay on the stones though. If you need to register, drop off parts, unload your truck, etc, please be early so we can try to get started right away. As stated before, you may gladly camp Friday into Saturday and/or Saturday into Sunday. Meals are your own and we have no planned activities for Sunday. I hope to see everyone here. I think you'll like some of the trails!
Lyle

Lyle4LClover
04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
1. Grady's corkscrew (one shunt allowed, this section only)
2. Needle
3. Downhill S
4. New Serpentine
5. Gully
6. Log bridge
Lunch
7. Log hop
8. Rock hop
9. Around the Mountain
10. Ridgeline
11. Camel humps

rvrsrvc
04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Driver's meeting on the 28th still 9.45?

87xj95disco
04-23-2012, 05:22 PM
yes it is.

Rob P
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Saturday set up carnage: I managed to break my grill and pop out my headlight on a 4" diameter loggish type thing in a section I had already driven through. Not sure what happened, but it popped up and had me. I stopped when I heard cracking plastic. Had to saw off the log and pry the A/C fan away from it's little radiator. Broke two plastic clips on the headlight but I had three from when Nicole broke the glass out of the same light.

On the way home I noticed the steering wheel wasn't quite straight. I stopped and looked but nothing was visiably bent so I went on. I wasn't driving right so I stopped again to take a better look. The drag link behind the axle was bent up to the vibration damper and touching the steering stabilizer. Oppsy. I got out a come along and with Grady's help was able to bend it straight again. Steering wheel straight I was able to drive home with no further drama.

Wonder what next week will bring?

Lyle4LClover
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Rob, thats what you get for trying to follow me!

Saturday set up carnage: I managed to break my grill and pop out my headlight on a 4" diameter loggish type thing in a section I had already driven through. Not sure what happened, but it popped up and had me. I stopped when I heard cracking plastic. Had to saw off the log and pry the A/C fan away from it's little radiator. Broke two plastic clips on the headlight but I had three from when Nicole broke the glass out of the same light.

On the way home I noticed the steering wheel wasn't quite straight. I stopped and looked but nothing was visiably bent so I went on. I wasn't driving right so I stopped again to take a better look. The drag link behind the axle was bent up to the vibration damper and touching the steering stabilizer. Oppsy. I got out a come along and with Grady's help was able to bend it straight again. Steering wheel straight I was able to drive home with no further drama.

devildog01
04-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Driver's meeting on the 28th still 9.45?

Yes, and I like my coffee with cream and sugar.

87xj95disco
04-24-2012, 05:50 PM
we will have coffee there so i gess we need suger and creamer now.

added this to my list.

DiscoSux
04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
The drag link behind the axle was bent up to the vibration damper and touching the steering stabilizer. Oppsy. I got out a come along and with Grady's help was able to bend it straight again. Steering wheel straight I was able to drive home with no further drama.

heh heh, the drag link and tie rod are like butter. I found out the hard way on a little black trail at Rausch - see avatar...

Check out RoverTracks for some proper pieces. Actually, get some tires first. You also may want to replace that drag link as it will bend very easily now. Ask Trevor or Randy to bring one to the event. You'll likely need it to get home.

DiscoSux
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes, and I like my coffee with cream and sugar.

I'll try to not make you spit it out in laughter... Dodge parking down by Route 422 please.

DiscoSux
04-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Looks like three NELRC slackers camping out Saturday night?

Anyone else?

devildog01
04-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Well the D2 is not going to be finished in time for the event due to a bad head gasket so I'll be showing up in the Dodge to be a spotter/cheerer-on-er/help Dana roll the D-90 over-er.Or maybe I'll slip Lyle some cash and drive the series and show you all up!!!!

DiscoSux
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Well the D2 is not going to be finished in time for the event due to a bad head gasket so I'll be showing up in the Dodge to be a spotter/cheerer-on-er/help Dana roll the D-90 over-er.Or maybe I'll slip Lyle some cash and drive the series and show you all up!!!!

Wear something pretty...

Rob P
04-28-2012, 09:41 PM
I actually won the dang thing. 19 points. Feels good to win it. Win or lose it feels damn good just to get out and four wheel with my club mates. Pictures to follow.

Disco96JSWB
04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Congrats, Rob!
Jake was disappointed we couldn't be there.

- Jeremy

87xj95disco
04-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Sounds like everyone had a good time that the event. No major carnage this time around.(during the event)
2 new members signed up there as well. We also had a guest from the U.K. Derek Spooner. Derek is with the Association of Land Rover Clubs. He is the International Liaison of ALRC.
Hope everyone had a chance to meet and talk with him.

mlp141
04-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Hey Rob - what was the grand prize this year?

pushngo
04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
A weekend with Lyle in the Pocanos.

DiscoSux
04-29-2012, 03:25 PM
No major carnage this time around.(during the event)

This is true. However, after the event, things changed.

87xj95disco
04-29-2012, 05:04 PM
3rd place trevor and max $25 cash
2nd place tom stauffer $50 cash
1 place rob (sparky) peirce $75 cash

i want to thank trevor and tom for donation the money back to the club.
rob kept his for a down payment for new tires.

mlp141
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Great prizes. Nothing better than cash money!

Rob P
04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
I like to think of cash as a universally accepted gift certificate.

dcarr1971
04-30-2012, 11:59 AM
This was a great event! I just want to say 'Thank you!' to everyone involved...especially Lyle and Dave!

Hopefully I'll have the wife and kids with me in the fall so I don't end up having to run back to Pittsburgh right away...

DiscoSux
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Trip Report over on NELRC, for mature audiences only...

http://nelrc.iftopic.com/t469p30-spring-robsonia-trials-event

DiscoSux
04-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Hopefully I'll have the wife and kids with me in the fall so I don't end up having to run back to Pittsburgh right away...

Um, the camp area gets a little rough. The wife and kids best have thick skin and not afraid of gun fire. Lots and lots of gun fire...

dcarr1971
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Um, the camp area gets a little rough. The wife and kids best have thick skin and not afraid of gun fire. Lots and lots of gun fire...

Yeah, don't worry. The wife grew up on a farm and shot competitively with me back in the '90s. (I hate to admit it...she's a better shot than I am.) The kids live with me, so they are pretty tough...

Lyle4LClover
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
A big thank you to all that came out for work days and event days. Freddie and Bill for the stickers too, wanted to do that for awhile, thanks Mike for making it happen. We have lots of new new ideas from our guest Derek to all the campfire talks, to just watching 11 year old children play with Land Rovers in the woods (not much different from the 40 year olds...hmmm?) As for lost and found this year, thanks to some boy scouts that acompanied Steve, there was nothing left behind but one small bag of wire type tent pegs and some drive shaft fodder on a lower trail. I'm glad everyone had fun and hope to have a sucessful Fall event!
Thanks again, Lyle

DiscoSux
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
As for lost and found this year, thanks to some boy scouts that acompanied Steve, there was nothing left behind but one small bag of wire type tent pegs and some drive shaft fodder on a lower trail.

Oops, sorry Lyle. Both of those items are mine... :o

Jhartman25
05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey guys it's Jake I am finally on the board! woohoo

Thanks to everybody who helped host and set up the event I had a blast as always.