PDA

View Full Version : Engaging overdrive

mlp141
02-03-2012, 12:14 PM
The series I have has a factory overdrive.

How do I use it? Do I engage it while moving? Before moving? Clutch in? I have no clue and don't want to screw anything up!

galen211
02-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Clutch in. Throw the lever. Think of it as 5th gear. When you come to stop disengage it and go through your gears and engage again.

I don't use mine here, it is too hilly and always lose speed driving along the roads. Out by the coast you would have better luck, but I don't see any use for them unless you are on the highway.

rijosho
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
You should also try to source an Overhaul Manual and an Owner's Manual for your new truck.

mlp141
02-03-2012, 08:14 PM
G - I leave the main gear lever in 4th?

Tom109
02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
If you use in only in 4th it will keep things simple while getting used to it. Run up through the gears to 4th, and let's say you're now cruising 55ish, engage the OD to achieve 4th-OD. You'll notice a drop in rpms, your 88 may feel smoother and at least quieter.

The OD has a synchro, just like your 3rd and 4th gears, and use the clutch just like the main box. As a matter of habit I always double clutch when shifting up, and rev match when shifting down. Also, when shifting, briefly pause in neutral when engaging/disengaging (this is partially why I dbl-clutch). You should get really smooth shifts this way.

Some common uses:
1. 4th OD, obviously!
2. 3rd OD, when you would be revving 3rd up long hill, but 2.25L is not enough engine to pull 4th all the way up. Some call this splitting 3rd.

Don' be afraid to use it.

Tom P.