PDA

View Full Version : Uhh, Ohh! Send lawyers, guns, and money!

grnthng
02-19-2012, 11:07 AM
So my LWB has been sitting for a while, and go once a week to start it to let the engine run and warm-up to lubricate things....and after it is at runnig temp. a major knocking happens and its on -off!

I've dropped a liner, hav'nt I!

Frank84
02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm sure there are a great many things that could cause a knocking noise in one of these and a cylinder liner ranks right up there with one of the most likely causes. Especially when you mention that it only occurs after things have warmed up. Top hat liners seem to be the only cure and they are super expensive. I had started rebuilding a 4.2 for my RRC and it needed 2 new liners and I looked into getting the top hat liners installed and the cheapest numbers I was finding was in the $2-3k range. Some were as high as $7k which is a crazy number to spend on one of these engines. The liners alone (not installed) are just a bit under $1k. Regular liners are far cheaper to buy and install but you risk this happening again.

Maybe there are some cheaper sources in the UK?

There also is some talk of pinning liners in place where you drill a hole perpendicular to the cylinder wall and drive a dowel pin into it. Then you grind/machine the excess pin off. To me, this sounds like it would work to keep the liner from moving perhaps, but if you have a coolant leak due to the shifted liner this will not stop that.

However, I'd make sure it is actually a liner before you get too worried. I'm not an expert on diagnosing the noise but I'm sure someone out there is. If it is a liner, the cheapest and easiest route is to simply find a good, used 4.2 or better yet a 4.6 and drop it in place.

Try something like "V8 rover liner" in youtube and you'll find lots of hits.

grnthng
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks Frank...I have spent all day on this and have learned yet again the ups and downs of owning a Land Rover of the V8 kind!
Here's what I got so-far...we know you and me both would not blow 7k on relining your existing block...I read about the top hat liners and those Coscast blocks, good option but new blocks are pricy too.
You pretty much said the same thing Paul Grant told me...that it might not be a liner/s at all and I 100% trust both of you!
So I am going to keep an eye on things before jumping the gun and while its in pieces I will start looking for a replacement engine/swap (4.6 definitly in the works if my mine is bad)...thought about rebuilding my engine but everybody says 4.2 are not worth rebuilding. Ironically mine is still running smooth, with the exception of this knocking now...which comes about once the thermastat opens up and things get hot.
I'm just worrying that it is because its been sitting since September...I start it once a week, and let it warm up before giving it some throtle to get oil to top of the engine to keep things lubricated! I know this is not healthy to do...they need to be driven not idling!
Another thing I learned is a good # of people just keep running these things with the knocks for thousands of my miles until the real problems and ultimatly failure occurs!

Probably going to need some leakdown tests and other diagnosing!

I will take anybodys advise on who ever is running like the 3.9l in D1's, I been reading that they are better engines!A 4.0l perhaps!

Thanks for the come back Sir... I will let you know what happens!

Btw, the wife said you better get rid of it... I told her I'm commited to it as I am to her! Uhh..I got a dirty look!:(

bbettridge
02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Doubt it's a dropped liner in a 4.2 - they aren't know for that like the late model 4.0 and 4.6 are.

Could be:
>bottom end bearings (not bad to replace).
>something simple like lifters that are not pumping back up (from sitting)
>cam walk (doubtful in a 4.2)

grnthng
02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
I am begining to get that impresssion....let me update, checked again for anything obvious and let it get up to tempeture and let run for while! I played with the rpm's up and down several times and nothing....absolutely no knock and ran very smooth!
Freaky man...this thing is messing with me!

Thanks Guys

Frank84
02-22-2012, 04:14 PM
If mine sits for a while the lifters do tend to get sticky and will rattle and tap about for a while after start up. For now, I'd go with the "do nothing" approach if it is quiet and try to get the truck out on the road.

grnthng
02-26-2012, 11:03 PM
If mine sits for a while the lifters do tend to get sticky and will rattle and tap about for a while after start up. For now, I'd go with the "do nothing" approach if it is quiet and try to get the truck out on the road.

I'm trying...I'll wait another couple of weeks to start tearing into the rust! I want it back on the road too!
Just filled my VW Touraeg full of goodies...ARB bumper, RTE radius arms, and brand new condition upper tailgate!

Its still in limbo mode!1468

Frank84
02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
That's going to be really nice when you're done!

grnthng
03-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Frank, It might be to nice for the woods...no dought its going to get scratched big time because of the black paint, I guess I can't let it bother me! Something I never worried about with the green one!

I will put together a bunch of pics to post in the build section!