PDA

View Full Version : yet another new guy.... with a 95 RRC LWB

soncjet
05-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I picked this up a month or so ago... and have been just driving it.

Let's see if I can figure out / remember everything that was done to it. I bought it built as-is, so I'm not 100% on it all but here goes....

95 LWB w 170k +/-
air swapped to lift coils (i believe they are 2")
2" body lift
33x10.5 BFG MT KM2
unknown black steelies
terrafirma shocks at all 4 corners
F&R GBR driveshafts

all of the lift and suspension work was done within the last year, not many miles on it at all.

It came with a bunch of maint work already done - rad, alternator, starter, cats, exhaust - and with boxes of other misc. small parts and pieces. I have the stock wheels and tires for it and the front spoiler. apparently the guy i bought it from, bought it from someone (maybe not even on here) with the s/n of SVEN from the state college area. it's lived the last year or two up around Lewistown.

Here's a bit of the history of it (and just so that I have a copy of it somewhere :cool: )

1995 Range Rover Classic LWB, 158k miles, Rare “Avalon Blue” Color. Paint is in very nice shape. Some dings and scratches on the pass side but not too bad. Underneath is in very good condition as well. No rust on the frame, sills, floors and door pillars. The underside looks like it was waxoyl'd in the past. Driverside wheelwell has a quarter sized hole right underneath the brake pump, but can be repaired. All other wheelwells are nice. Rear taillight housings have surface rust as does the rear crossmember, no rot. Both upper and lower tailgates are mint. I just replaced and had the lower one repainted. The upper looks like a recent replacement.

Drivetrain is in very good shape. The Borg Warner transfer case does not bind and the H-L function works. ZF transmission was replaced with a newer remanded unit out of a Discovery. Engine had the head gaskets and valve job done about 10k miles ago. I just replaced the radiator, alternator, starter and rebuilt the front axle swivel balls. Cats and downpipe were also replaced. There are literally no leaks underneath. Air suspension did work however I installed OME medium duty springs. ABS and traction control function correctly.

Interior is pretty nice. Both front seats had their heated seat elements replaced. All power seat, mirror, sunroof and heated windscreen functions work. Heat and AC work perfectly. Headliner is “pinned” up at the rear but still looks respectable. Seats, dash and carpets are nice. Included are weathertech mats and D2 cup holders.

aside from just driving it so far... about all i've done is remove the front bumper end (more like broke the mounts while trying to tighten them up) and added the plate my boys got me for my birthday

I'm really bummed i missed the run this past weekend - but i coach little league, and we had our opening day ceremonies and games on saturday. about as far as this has gotten offroad since i've owned it, is the grass parking area at the ball fields :o Anyways... i'll add to this, and be browsing around here now that my account is activated (thanks sean)

I'm from Annville... right between Hershey and Lebanon

galen211
05-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Haha, that's Sven's old truck....welcome. Sven's here.

You're also close to Trevor if you ever need help.

soncjet
05-01-2012, 02:26 PM
yep... well good, i'll have to pick sven's brain then :D The extra parts that came with it, are most likely the ones he included when he sold it to Erik (who I got it from)

I already emailed Trevor already - as he's only 20 minutes away (if that).

I'll be honest here.... i wasn't looking for a Rover, but I traded a car I had for this, and haven't looked back since. In fact, I was dailying my Grand Cherokee up until the point I got this.... I started that for the first time in about 3 weeks yesterday. haha.

It's got a few issues i need to work on, and figure out.... some buzzing going on from time to time, and it tends to wander a bit at highway speeds - but i've had lifted trucks before, and it's nothing too bad, and took all of 3 days to compensate for it.

sven
05-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Nice truck :cool:

Here's what it looked like when I had it

soncjet
05-02-2012, 08:55 AM
aside from the suspension and wheels/tires - it seems to be virtually unchanged. i have a new set of front mudflaps for it... and those wheels and tires in your picture are stacked in my driveway currently. :p

were you the one that made the passenger side a bit wavy? :cool:

sven
05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
were you the one that made the passenger side a bit wavy? :cool:

No, I dont think there was a single dent on it when I had it.

I bought it from a friend in CT back in 08-09. It was garage kept and super clean. I replaced the lower gate and repainted it. The air suspension worked but the front bags leaked so I threw a set of OME springs in it. I did a bunch of mechanical stuff but thats about it. If you jave any questions let me know.

Disco96JSWB
05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Here's an ancient video of Sven's RRC at Paragon(e) Adventure Park in the winter of 2006 on a day that never made it out of the teens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZWKveDWd7E

soncjet
05-08-2012, 04:04 PM
this photo brought to you by my "rover support team" ;)

closest in the picture is my mechanics montana green gti, his wifes (also a vw service advisor) windosor blue gti, and my wifes maroon passat wagon. and then the work van on the other side of the rover i stopped to look at.

did i mention that i come from a vw background, before delving into the murky waters that are rovers? :cool:

galen211
05-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Here's an ancient video of Sven's RRC at Paragon(e) Adventure Park in the winter of 2006 on a day that never made it out of the teens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZWKveDWd7E

That's a different LWB. Sven's had so many Rovers its easy to lose count!

galen211
05-09-2012, 11:37 AM
this photo brought to you by my "rover support team" ;)

closest in the picture is my mechanics montana green gti, his wifes (also a vw service advisor) windosor blue gti, and my wifes maroon passat wagon. and then the work van on the other side of the rover i stopped to look at.

did i mention that i come from a vw background, before delving into the murky waters that are rovers? :cool:

My VW made my Land Rover look reliable.

soncjet
05-09-2012, 11:57 AM
i had nothing but great luck with all of my vw's. I had one brush with an Audi, which was my A8L - and after dropping $2k just for a ps rack... it was fixed and sold off. Guy flew up from Texas, met me at the airport, paid in cash, and drove home. he's been delighted with it last i heard.

i've had mk1's, 2's, 3's, a few passats, and a slew of aircooleds. i still have my 1st car, nearly 24 years later - a 74 Super Beetle that is about 95% redone at this point - just ran out of money to finish it currently. since my wife bought her wagon 6 yrs ago - the rover makes the 16th vehicle i've had compared to her 1. i get bored way too easily. granted, there were a few trucks, a jeep or two, and now the rover thrown in the mix. heck, the car i traded to get the rover - i bought it, had it for 4 years, sold it, bought it back 9 months later (at a profit), and just recently traded it off again. i was both the 2nd and 4th owners. ;)

i'd be willing to go out on a limb here... yours was prob. a mk3 - 93-99. and if you had ALOT of problems, it was prob. an automatic too. :cool:

galen211
05-09-2012, 12:12 PM
2000 VW Passat SW. 2.8 V6 AT.

soncjet
05-09-2012, 01:03 PM
surprising. they have their issues though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/bshertzer11/00%20Passat%20Wagon/9b49ab8d.jpg

^^ the wifes 00, 2.8v6, at, 4motion. lowered about 2", 17" 3pc wheels, votex side skirts, rewrapped new beetle headrests, badgeless grille, euro front rubstrips.... and like 195k as it sits currently. aside from normal issues (cam adjuster seals, waterpump / timing belt, control arms) we've had excellent luck with it. she absolutely loves it.

i had an indigo blue (metallic navy) sedan with a chipped 1.8t and a 5spd. that was a fun car. ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/bshertzer11/00%20Passat%20Oettinger/b5_vf09.jpg

and my jetta (that i traded for the rover) as well.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv228/bshertzer22/ca265aa8.jpg

sven
05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
I had a bunch of VW's back in the 90's and early 2000's....(3) MK2 GTI's, 2 69 Beetles, 2 16V Siroccos, 3 Vanagons and the last was a 2000 VR6 Jetta. Oh and a 2000 1.8t a4.

That guy you got the RRC from was really into VW's too, right?

soncjet
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
yea. erik has several, and has had even more in the past. he's got a charged 16v truck, with a narrowed axle tucking 10's under stock fenders... as well as a nice late mk1 cabby, and an oval window project.

the jetta... i bought off the original builder. he was a local guy, and it was THE car that got me into vw's back in the late 80's. it was the first vr swap into a mk2 in the us all the way back in early 93. when i traded it, it only had 45/46k on the odo.

the vw scene has taken a nasy downward spiral over the last few years. i think it's time for me to take a step back from it all for a little. and on that note - i've hosted a local toys for tots drive for the vw/audi community... that over the last 6 years, has raised over $10,000 and just as many toys.

http://www.eurotuner.com/eventcoverage/eurp_1003_toys_for_tots_cruise_2009/viewall.html

rvrsrvc
05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I had an 84 GTI when it was new.....

soncjet
05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
dang. you're like old, and stuff. :cool:

soncjet
05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
took my first "somewhat" off road-ish trip today... took the boys out to Indiantown Gap, up to the 2nd Mountain Hawk Watch. nothing more than a rutted, washed out un-maintained road up to the top of one of the mountains out there.... but enough to get things crossed up a little bit... while being watched most of the time by our boys in camoflage :cool:

mlp141
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
2000 VW Passat SW. 2.8 V6 AT.

G - don't forget that Fox you had when I met you. What a death trap that was.

rvrsrvc
05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
And then you took a driveby my place, but didnt stop in. That was me on the bicycle heading out for 82 miles in the less than flattering spandex....

soncjet
05-21-2012, 09:19 AM
yup. i'm a stalker like that :cool:

by the time i turned around and came back up, you guys were heading out - i didnt want to stop or slow down any physical activity from occurring. at least i know where you are at now. then after crossing 743, i had some other guy wave at me from on a bike - so i didnt know who you is. who you was. or who you would be.

galen211
05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
G - don't forget that Fox you had when I met you. What a death trap that was.

That was an 83 Jetta Wolfsburg. I loved the color of that car and the interior. It broke more than my Passat.

mlp141
05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
It was orangish, right?

All I remember was a ****load of wires coming from the dash.