PDA

View Full Version : Engine and trans removal question

Frank84
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Transfer case is already off the RRC, can I remove the engine and trans together or do I have to separate them?

Rob P
05-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm gonna take an un-educated stab in the dark and say that if you have a high enough engine hoist WITH the balancing do-hickey to tilt the whole assembly you should be fine.......maybe.

Frank84
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna take an un-educated stab in the dark and say that if you have a high enough engine hoist WITH the balancing do-hickey to tilt the whole assembly you should be fine.......maybe.

My un-educated guess agrees with you're un-educated guess, but I wouldn't mind hearing from a more educated person:D I'm not sure my engine hoist will go high enough and i don't have a balancing do-hickey. However, I do have an extra set of hands so maybe that will be enough?

rvrsrvc
05-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Never done it that way. I've taken trans and t-case together or engine only, but not engine and trans together.

Frank84
05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Never done it that way. I've taken trans and t-case together or engine only, but not engine and trans together.

Thanks Trevor. I gave it a closer look when i got home and it MIGHT work with an overhead hoist perhaps but not easily with a simple "crane style" engine lift like I have. I was trying to find a shortcut but I guess it probably isn't worth it. I don't think i could get it high enough to clear the front radiator panel.

Rob P
05-29-2012, 08:43 PM
You would clear it with the radiator and front clip removed.

Frank84
05-30-2012, 06:45 AM
You would clear it with the radiator and front clip removed.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But I was trying to avoid pulling off the ARB bumper and front clip if at all possible - probably less work to just separate the two components.

Rob P
05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
You always wanted that ultra cool one piece tilt front end right?