PDA

View Full Version : Rochester Carb - 109 2.25p ?

Tom109
08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Anyone have experience with the Rochester on the 2.25p? Is it a worthwhile upgrade from a Zenith ?

Tom P.

siiirhd88
08-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I found the Rochester to be absolutely trouble free. It is a simple carb, with a rebuild kit available from Napa for around $20.00. I can't say it makes a 2.25 more powerful, or gets better mileage, but it has not required any further ajustment after installing. I had problems with several Zeniths, and the idle was always going out of ajustment. The Weber had frequent jet clog issues.

On the Rochester I have the throttle arm needs to push up to open the throttle, so if you have a Weber or Zenith you will have to play with the linkage a bit, and remove the base adapter as the Rochester won't use it.

On my truck the intake elbow rubbed against the bonnet. I had to trim the base of the elbow and shorten the rubber connector between the carb and elbow to get the required clearance.

Bob

Ken Heaton
08-04-2012, 09:27 AM
:confused:How readily available are the Rochester carbs? Can you get them easily? They haven't been made in years, correct?

Ken

siiirhd88
08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
The Rochester carb I am running came on an engine I bought a while ago. I have a spare that came in a box of carb bits, but I haven't checked it out. There is great Rochester info on one of T.A.W.'s web pages at:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rochester.htm

They seem to bring big money on ebay, considering what you are buying, but they were used in multiples on 1950s hot rods. Note that the two I have both push up to open the throttle, like the early Rover Solex, so that style linkage setup works fine. I have run across a Rochester that pulls down to open the throttle, as on a Zenith or Weber. If you mount that type Rochester on the 90 degree carb base adapter, the top of the carb will hit the bonnet.

Bob

Tom109
08-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks Bob. I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild my Zenith, or look for a Rochester and rebuild it.

Now, if I could just remember how to get to that hidden junk yard in VA....there were probably 60 Rochesters still bolted to their engines, which were still under their original hoods!

Tom P.