PDA

View Full Version : Brake flaring tools and/or Series Shop Day?

Tom109
08-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm nearing the point I need to run new hard lines on my 109. Based on what I've read, it is a decent chunk of change to get good tooling. I can rent one from Fedhil, but it's a vice-mount and I think it would be easier to flare in place (?).

So, does anyone have the proper flare tooling for a '65 IIa 109? Would you entertain renting/loaning the tooling, or helping on a scheduled brake line shop day? I'd have to host as the truck can't move right now...

Tom P.

mlp141
08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
You're in NJ right Tom? If I possible I might also ask for club assistance but I can drive my series there.

Tom109
08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Michael ,

Yes, I'm in Western NJ, about 1.5 hours from you by modern car, provided you're not on LBI. We go to Forked River a lot, via Lacey Road, 539, and 195. This route avoids the GPS/NJTP traffic.

I'm still acquiring a few brake components and need to send my cylinders for sleeving. My rough guestimate would now be September, as I think it's too tight to fit into August.

Tom

crazyfish
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I may be wrong by I think Evan or English or Tom B have the tools.....

Frank84
08-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Tom B. said they had been renting tools and buying supplies for work out at the shop in Lebanon from here:

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

This place rents the tools and has the supplies and I think you want the British/Girling stuff (big surprise), not the metric/standard which is far more commonly available. They're pretty helpful at at fed hill if you give them a call.

Tom109
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Frank,

I was aware Fedhill rents that tool, but it is vice-mounted operation, and I thought it would be simpler to be able to get a flare in situ. I've since located a tool, now I just need to get the rest of the new brake components.

Tom P.