PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft conversion

03springer
08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Hello all, Last month or so I replaced my rear rubber coupling on my rig. Last week it all most flew apart. Today I replaced the whole shabang with a conversion kit I got from Atlantic British. What a big differance. My truck always had a little vibration in it.
I had already rebuilt the front one with greaseable u-joints. Which did help with that problem. Now we`ll see how long this will last.:rolleyes: It almost seems weird not having any vibration or clunking anymore.

Bob

Frank84
08-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Nice! I never did the conversion on my dad's DII, but his only has about a 1.5" lift so it has been rather vibe free. Got a lift on yours?

For the front DS, don't forget to grease the centering bearing once and a while. The u-joints need it often (like every 5-7k miles) cause the grease seems to cooked out of the ones in the double cardon joint, but you can get away with every 20-30k miles on the centering bearing.

03springer
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
I got a 2" Old Man Emu I put on. Then went with the 265 75 R16`s. Yep I know about the centering bearing. I remember when I was doing that job I didn`t have a blind hole puller to get it apart. I went to Hoaks
`s 4wheel drive in Wrightsville and the mechanic had it out in about 2 minutes. So far I`m happy with what I did:D

DiscoDaze
09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I repalced by fwd prop shaft with an aftermarket from Rovers North and rebuilt the aft prop shaft with parts from Atlanrtic British. Went back and forth on wether to do the aft prop shaft conversion. Decided to do the rebuild becuase I don't do any heavy wheeling and only have a 1.5 lift. All vibration went away.
My fwd prop shaft was ready to come un-lued. another 50 miles on it and my truck would have been sold for parts. Check your fwd prop mshaft often and don't skip on the grease.

Disco Daze