PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leaks

DiscoDaze
11-03-2012, 10:43 AM
The battle of the oil leaks is finally over. My Disco II is no longer marking it's spot.

1. Valve cover gaskets. Its a big job because you have to dissassemble the entire upper manifild to get to them. Did a tune up while everthing was appart. You can actually see the coil packs when the manifild is off but they are still not that easy to get to.

2. Oil Sump Gasket. Not a bad job but I had to do it twice because I forgot to apply sealant to the two spots next to the "crusifix" bearing. Started leaking immidatly and I had to do it over with a new gasket.

3. Oil Pressure SensorThis took a long time to find. The oil pressure sensor was leaking oil through the electrode. It would leak when the engine was running and it would leak for 5 to 10 minutes after the engine was turned off until the oil pressure on the outlet of the oil pump was relieved. When oil leaks from this location it can look like its coming from a lot of different places. From the timing chain housing to the rear seal. I had to completely clean the under side of the engine with GUNK. Start the engine and lay under the truck with a flash light for 1 hour until I could follow it back to the pressure switch. I have big hands so changing out the pressure swithch was not easy.

DiscoDaze

mlp141
11-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Liar, liar, pants on fire!

It must be out of oil!

03springer
11-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Now its the coolants time to start leaking !!! :(