PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood Spring 2013 Clean-up

JerseyMudrat
01-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Frank, I've been out of circulation for about a year with back "issues", now trying to get back into the swing of things. Are there any plans in the works for a 2013 Ringwood Spring clean-up?

Frank84
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your back but glad you're getting back into it now.

If there is interest, I'll put on another event this spring for sure. However, the last year or two though the turn out has been zero or close to it so I sort of put the event on hold.

So, is there interest out there? Short of moving Ringwood, NJ closer to Pennsylvania (where most people in the club live), any ideas from people on how to improve the event to get turn out up? A dozen or more trucks was the norm for the first 6 or 7 years that I organized it. The last few years it was down to me and maybe one or two others.

JerseyMudrat
01-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Does Ringwood have a cut-off date, when the "clean-up" needs to be compleated by?
I mean, for example: are Landy's allowed to roam the park after say April 30th when more hikers start coming out of hibernation.

Frank84
01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
We never had a cut off date, but if there was something like a mountain bike race going on I made sure to stay away from those areas. I think we did one or two summer clean ups but attendance was best in the spring and fall from what I remember. I tried a two day event once and that wasn't a big success. There was a decent turn out on Saturday but nobody Sunday.

Though I don't watch much football lots of people do, I tried to make the spring event on sunday and the fall event on saturday to work around that.

grnthng
01-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Actually, I am always in on this one! I am pretty sure I will be ready to go....I wish I had a winch on my bumper, other than that I'm good go.... to test drive the refurbished LWB!

Hi Frank....BTW what happened to your build thread?

Frank84
01-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Hi Frank....BTW what happened to your build thread?

I finished building it! Well, I finished until the weather warms up once again. I've put about 4k miles on it since last fall and it is working pretty good so far. This year I'm planning to re-gear the diffs and I'm sure I'll come up with some other stuff as well.

Yours is looking good!

Disco96JSWB
01-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Jake and I would make every effort to attend, the problem being baseball from late March onwards.
Any chance of a mid-March clean-up?

Jeremy

mlp141
01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Jake and I would make every effort to attend, the problem being baseball from late March onwards.

Jeremy

HS baseball/softball starts March 1st this year in NJ. So no play time for me until after May. Although I am going to SCC.

Frank84
02-02-2013, 12:11 PM

Jeremy

Hmmmm....I think March may be tough for me to nail down a weekend. I'm traveling for fun and for work a few weekends and some of it is still up in the air.

JerseyMudrat
02-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Frank, It's clear that some members have kids that are at the age where thay have sporting activities at the weekends, but I suspect that many others members don't.

The prior "Spring Clean-Up" events that I attended were in April and April was a great month as most of the snow & ice had melted leaving many mud & water challenges along the trails.

Maybe the term "Clean-Up" is discouraging to some, but the events were extreamly enjoyable!
In reality, you guided us through many trails for several hours of great off-roading before stopping for a lunch break. We then headed back onto the trails for more hours of fun.
Then as the day was drawing to a close, we heading off to a clean-up area, spent a little time loading up our vehicles with bits & pieces, then drove to the park mantenance area to drop off those items collected on our way out of the park as the days event ended.

The location couldn't be any easier to get to, a mere 10 minute off I-287 and the NY Throughway at Mahwah, with pleanty of hotels, gas stations and resturants to choose from, should they be needed.

Frank, I am hopeful that enough members will indicate an interest in this event, making it worthwhile for you to organize.

Frank84
02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks Mike! Maybe I'll try to drum up some interest at Spruce Cabin in a few weeks. I was in the park this weekend on foot and it seems like 90% of the trails are marked "AREA CLOSED" for some reason. Never seen this before and couldn't see a reason why.

hilltoppersx
02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Frank,
I been wanting to help do this for a few years and it's not far from me so please keep me in the loop! cheers!

JerseyMudrat
02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Ed, Does the NELRC currently have any events planned in the Pine Barrons ?

qbenplaya00
02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Hey I'll be down to help I'm in Hudson county and its a short drive for me ill head in wife's d2 since mine is being a caca face. Let me know which weekend and ill try to get 2 othe guys with lrd's to help out.

hilltoppersx
02-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Ed, Does the NELRC currently have any events planned in the Pine Barrons ?

not yet. We usually only do one winter event and that was in Jan. Right now we are working on dates for our Spring event, and our Annual event. We try to keep the NELRC and Land Rover Events US facebook page up-to-date with events.

JerseyMudrat
02-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Frank, based upon these initial responses, it looks like 6 ~ 7 guys would be interested besides yourself, I would suspect that others might also be interested after you accounce the date.
Maybe Ed has some NELRC members who would like to join R.O.V.E.R.S. and participate in these local events ?

Frank84
02-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm traveling this week, but when i get back I'll go over to the park office and see what works for them. Sounds like it is time to put on another trip!

hilltoppersx
02-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah i can ask our club im sure we will have some interested folk. always looking to give back! i was thinking about every pine barrens run we do having a canned food drive or something similar.

Frank84
02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
At the moment - the area of the park we do the clean up in is closed to ALL public use due to construction on the gas pipeline that runs through there:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/ringwood.html

It'll be closed until the end of April at a minimum according to the office so I'm going to check back in with them after it opens up and then we can set a date. Might be a summer trip this year.

hilltoppersx
02-25-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm in pending it doesn't interfere with any other rover event we already planned

JerseyMudrat
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for checking and getting back to us, please keep us posted...

grnthng
02-26-2013, 11:34 PM
At the moment - the area of the park we do the clean up in is closed to ALL public use due to construction on the gas pipeline that runs through there:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/ringwood.html

It'll be closed until the end of April at a minimum according to the office so I'm going to check back in with them after it opens up and then we can set a date. Might be a summer trip this year.

Yee hhee......stock-up on the skeeter spray!! Thanks Frank!