PDA

View Full Version : R380

galen211
05-31-2013, 01:46 PM
I took apart a core R380 I bought a few weeks ago. Here's the aftermath. Now I just need to order the rebuild kit from Ashcroft. So far the tear down was easy except the oil seal collar, that took me all of Memorial Day weekend trying to figure out how to get it off. 2 new wheel pullers and a split bearing tool later I got it. Everything else came apart in one evening.

Just figured it would be good to document this somewhere!

Frank84
06-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Cool! Glad you're documenting it here. I took a million pictures when I did mine to make sure I put it back together right. If you need any let me know. In general though, it went back together pretty smooth. That oil seal collar was tough! Probably the hardest part of the whole job to get apart. I used the Ashcroft kit and it was very complete - good stuff.

devildog01
06-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Good to know that you or Frank can rebuild my R380 when the time comes;):rolleyes:

galen211
06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
If all goes well I intend to install this one and rebuild the one currently in the truck for resale. I at least want to tear it down and see what the bad noises are inside. Likely a bearing.

Frank84
06-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Good to know that you or Frank can rebuild my R380 when the time comes;):rolleyes:

Sure thing!

galen211
03-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Bringing this thread up to the front. Just ordered my parts from Ashcroft. Now to get a shop press from Harbor Freight and I'll be ready to put it back together.

Frank84
03-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I took TONS of pictures when I did mine so if you have any of those moments where you ask yourself, "which way around did this go?" just let me know.

LC Rover
03-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Galen:
I have a industrial floor press that I no longer need...just needs a little TLC....you r welcome to it...you just need to come to pick it up...I am up in Mansfield by the University

galen211
03-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks Larry, but I picked up a table top one from Harbor Freight. Their directions leave a little to be desired, but got it together.

Ashcroft is already impressive, bought my stuff Monday night, had it Thursday around noon. That's pretty good from England.

Was going to start last night, but Jess's Volvo blew a spark plug out of the head and had to helicoil it back in.

galen211
03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
In the measure twice, cut once category. I bought and assembled the little press before looking at my parts. It was way to small and I had to exchange for a 20 ton unit that luckily went on sale Friday.

Took about 1/2 hour to assemble and had the bearings off the main shaft 10 minutes later. That's all I got accomplished this weekend unless you count 2 coats of paint, rehanging kitchen cabinet doors and new hardware all around.