PDA

View Full Version : M&S lights

03springer
08-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey all, Seems kinda dead in here so Ill post something to exercise our minds. The other day I came to a light and when I went to go I heard the engine rev up and I went slowly. Seen the M&S lights flashing. Made it to where I going. Restarted the truck a little later and everything was fine the rest of the day.
Next day ran over to Starbucks for a delicious latte, came out and the truck turned over and over then finally started. Went to work and in the parking lot I put my code reader on it and it gave for a crankshaft position sensor. It didn't give any check engine lights.
I ordered one. My question is, is this two different things going on here or are they related. Flashing M&S lights are supposed to be a transmission electrical fault.

Anybody?

DiscoDaze
08-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I had the same problem. The xyz plug connection into the transmission sees a lot of water. The A/C Condensate drain also drips right on it. I do 99% of my off roading in the NJ Pine Barrens / under water. When the plug corrodes and some intermittent contact is lost the M&S lights will start flashing. I could not get my hand into where the plug is. Its too tight. I had one guy suggest that I pull the transmission to access the plug. I think he has too much spare time. I sprayed a full can of WD40 on the plug. That was a year ago. Not flashing lights since.

Disco Daze

Frank84
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM
What disco daze said - most likely the XYZ connector just needs a clean. Your trans went into "limp" mode which locks it into ONLY 3rd gear hence the sluggishness. Keep in mind low range still works so if you need a lower gear to get up a hill or something that will work.

I'd clear the crank code and see if it comes back.

One other thing to keep in mine - you can get some very weird and seemingly unrelated codes on a DII when the battery voltage drops. In general, make sure your battery is good and terminals are clean.

03springer
08-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys. I read about the xyz plug before. I'll clean it. To replace was 629.00 ouch!!! Ordered the cps yesterday and got it today! Wow.

hilltoppersx
08-12-2013, 05:22 PM

drill out the rivets, clean up the contacts really good with electrical cleaner and q tips. let it dry. put it back together, seal it with RTV. never worry about it again. this was mine when I opened it.

03springer
08-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow Hilltoppersx that looks cruddy! Battery on mine is new. Checked charging and all is good. Bearings are a little noisy in the alternator though. I`m gonna have it rebuilt. They said any wheres from 50-70$. Installed new cps today and it starts up good with no hesitation. If my M&S lights come on again I will take it out and clean it.