PDA

View Full Version : Robesonia Fall trials official thread!!!!

Lyle4LClover
09-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Dave, I know you started one already, but it had a question mark. This one has exclimation marks! And it says it's official!!!!

Thursday October 24th through Sunday October 27th.

Thursday 24th - late arrival, camp setup
Friday 25th - "free" day, no trails scheduled, free ride "follow Lyle" day
Saturday 26th - Novice run, for the newbies
Sunday 27th- advanced

Work Days will be Saturday the 19th and Sunday the 20th.

I have ideas and if I get hands on work days, we can make it happen!

Pets welcome provided they are leashed and behaved.

Cost is same as last year even though we're kind of adding another day.

Email me questions!

Started running the Robesonia Trials after meeting Tom and Jeff at a show in Carlisle in 2000. I just traded my 1997 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air WS6 for a 1996 Discovery due to the arrival of my 2nd child. Went to Carlyle with my father as Land Rovers were featured that year. We met up with Tom and Jeff there, talked a little Rover. Had a meeting in Fall of 2000 in Robesonia to establish the Trials event. Went to Tom's house to attend the R.O.V.E.R.S picnic a week later. Tied in the trials couse behind Tom's house with the "Solomons Island Yaht Club" series. I was in my "new" '96 bone stock Disco. Had to switch trucks for the "drive off" to determine the winner,. Ended up 2nd. Had a series and a Range Rover, just did'nt really "off road" until that. Late Fall 2000 was our first event and we've been holding the trials twice a year since. This will be our 13th bi-annual event for the trials. Hope to see you here!

I'll send another email with more details later.

Thank you, Lyle

Ivar
09-13-2013, 09:00 AM
... This will be our 13th bi-annual event for the trials. Hope to see you here! ...

Aha, nice to see you are finally coming out of the closet!

Frank84
09-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Got it on the calendar!

Rob P
10-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Ok, I haven't "officially" logged in for a L O N G time. I've missed you guys. I have also missed the last two trials events. Having children AND moving to a new house will cause that. I think I am actually gonna make it to the trail setup day and to one or both days of the trials. Now if only my computer auto corrected like my phone did I'd be in good shape.

On a side note, has anybody ever done a front end alignment at home with a tape measure on a D1? Should I attempt it?

Lyle4LClover
10-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Work Days!!!! I'm ready. Got some real good ideas. One or two sections behind my house, something we've not done before. Already cut some paths. Also a few favorites across the street at Dads and two new spots for sections I stumbled upon whilst getting firewood this weekend. Please contact me if you have any questions on work days. I'd like to be in the woods by 9:00 AM at the latest as there is some fallen trees that need to be moved from recent storms and such.

Hello Rob, do not align your Disco front end with a tape measure. Been there, did that. Got me out of the woods, literally, and back home to PA from VA but not much more than that. Take it to a shop. Call the shop and be sure they can do it first.

Lyle
484-357-9058

dbeard
10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Hey Lyle,

I can't make the Saturday work day, but I'm in for Sunday.

bfmcelroy
10-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Man am I glad I checked the Forum. I joined in 2008 and pay my dues automatically and never have a clue what is going on. Is there still a hardcopy newsletter?

I hope I can make the October Novice Trials. Went once with Trevor and of course he won in his Range Rover Classic. Does he even have that anymore?

I never been to the Spring Trials....never actually realized you had them and I always miss the picnic because I don't know it is happening. I should check this forum, huh? Duh! :o

My '96 Disco has 137,000 and is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I still love this beast.

Don't know what I'd do without Trevor Griffiths.

Is there a way to get updates sent to any of my e-mails so I don't miss out (repeatedly) in the future?

Dave, I know you started one already, but it had a question mark. This one has exclimation marks! And it says it's official!!!!

Thursday October 24th through Sunday October 27th.

Thursday 24th - late arrival, camp setup
Friday 25th - "free" day, no trails scheduled, free ride "follow Lyle" day
Saturday 26th - Novice run, for the newbies
Sunday 27th- advanced

Work Days will be Saturday the 19th and Sunday the 20th.

I have ideas and if I get hands on work days, we can make it happen!

Pets welcome provided they are leashed and behaved.

Cost is same as last year even though we're kind of adding another day.

Email me questions!

Started running the Robesonia Trials after meeting Tom and Jeff at a show in Carlisle in 2000. I just traded my 1997 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air WS6 for a 1996 Discovery due to the arrival of my 2nd child. Went to Carlyle with my father as Land Rovers were featured that year. We met up with Tom and Jeff there, talked a little Rover. Had a meeting in Fall of 2000 in Robesonia to establish the Trials event. Went to Tom's house to attend the R.O.V.E.R.S picnic a week later. Tied in the trials couse behind Tom's house with the "Solomons Island Yaht Club" series. I was in my "new" '96 bone stock Disco. Had to switch trucks for the "drive off" to determine the winner,. Ended up 2nd. Had a series and a Range Rover, just did'nt really "off road" until that. Late Fall 2000 was our first event and we've been holding the trials twice a year since. This will be our 13th bi-annual event for the trials. Hope to see you here!

I'll send another email with more details later.

Thank you, Lyle

bfmcelroy
10-18-2013, 01:17 PM
What time on Saturday and Sunday?

billcooper
10-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Looks like I can get some time free for Saturday, not sure I can be down by 9:00 though.

Lyle4LClover
10-19-2013, 08:33 AM
If you can make it just call me and I'll help direct you where we're at in the woods. We'll be on both sides of the road this year with a little hill climb treat on my side this time!
Lyle - 484-357-9058

Lyle4LClover
10-19-2013, 08:40 AM
What time on Saturday and Sunday?

I do hope you are able to make a club event soon! As for me and communication about events I usually use the forum here. I can also email, not a problem. We, as I think the rest of society today, are straying from hard print and snail mail. Some of us slower than others, I still prefer catalogs in the mail and such but with everything going electronic it's hard to keep up. Our work days this weekend will start at 9:00 AM just as event days next weekend. We like to get started by 9:00 due it getting dark so early this time of year. Let me know if you have any specific questions and you can PM me, email me or call my cell.
Once again, hope to see you here!
Lyle

Frank84
10-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Can't wait for the trials! Got a couple things to "fine tune" on the RRC before the event but nothing major.

Lyle4LClover
10-19-2013, 09:09 PM
We had a great time and thanks to Rob, Bill, Rob, Tom, Dave, Brett all the kids (me included) and a few more, we got 3 brand new sections behind my house along with 2 new sections across the street. It was a very effective day and lots of new ideas. Tomorrrow will be filled with cleaning courses and changing entrances, exits.
This year will feature not only a hill climb/descent or two but also a nice swamp crossing behind my house. So far, everything has been driven and canes set with a Disco I and Disco II.
Lets hope for a good drenching rain Wednesday/Thursday next week before the event, it'll make things VERY interesting!
Once again, thanks to everyone that showed up to help out on work days so far!
Lyle

Lyle4LClover
10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
We got a few more courses cleaned up and ready. Thanks to Tom, Dave and Jensen. Jensen drove some of the courses Rob, Rob and Brett made yesterday and I tried to direct him but even I got confused! They are going to be fun this year! We set all sections today with a stock Range Rover on street tires with a 13 year old driving. Hope to see you all next weekend!
Lyle

bfmcelroy
10-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Lyle, thanks!

One of the messages stated that the course was layed out using a Disco I and Disco II.

Was this with the regular bumbers or after market bumpers? Just asking as I have the front bumper with the fog lights and am just wondering about clearance issues.

I hope to make it out this Saturday the 26th.

Thanks again.

Has the club ever considered using "constant contact"? When I was in the SVVSCC for my MGs they uesed that quite a bit which replaced the paper newsletter.

Just something to consider.

I do hope you are able to make a club event soon! As for me and communication about events I usually use the forum here. I can also email, not a problem. We, as I think the rest of society today, are straying from hard print and snail mail. Some of us slower than others, I still prefer catalogs in the mail and such but with everything going electronic it's hard to keep up. Our work days this weekend will start at 9:00 AM just as event days next weekend. We like to get started by 9:00 due it getting dark so early this time of year. Let me know if you have any specific questions and you can PM me, email me or call my cell.
Once again, hope to see you here!
Lyle

dcarr1971
10-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Hey guys,
At this very moment, I don't have a single one of my Discos capable of being driven, but I'm still planning on begin there one way or another. (Hopefully I'll have 2 trucks running by tomorrow night...Thursday at the latest...)

Dave

Lyle4LClover
10-22-2013, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=bfmcelroy;18820]Lyle, thanks!

One of the messages stated that the course was layed out using a Disco I and Disco II.

Was this with the regular bumbers or after market bumpers? Just asking as I have the front bumper with the fog lights and am just wondering about clearance issues.

I hope to make it out this Saturday the 26th [Quote]

On Saurday we are running novice courses. All courses were designed to be non damaging. We try to use as close to stock trucks to set as possible. That being said, there is always the potential for damage. Taking a different approach than the setup truck, speed of approach, slow or fast, etc. can always effect the section one way or another.
All sections are designed with the ability to either skip it altogether, skip out part way or bypass a bad spot. All sections are up for inspection of the driver prior to starting to let them be the judge.
A spotter can be asked for by the driver to help watch from the outside. If a spotter is chosen all others around are to allow that one person to spot the driver.
Remember, our whole goal here is to have fun in the woods with the best 4x4xFar, not to keep your Rover parts dealer in business! Although, if you must, please visit the event sponsors whenever possible, they help make it happen.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Lyle

devildog01
10-23-2013, 06:00 PM
I see lot's of money in Randys future.

pushngo
10-24-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm coming up as soon as I can get out of the shop Saturday, hopefully around 3:00 so call if you need anything brought up.

dcarr1971
10-25-2013, 02:56 PM
As of right now, it's looking 99.9% like I'm out. Both Discos are still DOA...

Frank84
10-26-2013, 09:48 PM
See you all tomorrow morning!

Rob P
10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
So how is Steve doing?

Lyle4LClover
10-27-2013, 10:19 PM
So how is Steve doing?

Steve broke both.bones in his forearm of his right arm. He is stabilized and seeing the orthopedic surgeon on Thursday. It looks like he'll needs pins, plates or screws. Let's all wish him a speedy recovery. I'll keep you all posted.
Lyle

billcooper
10-27-2013, 11:16 PM
What happened?

Lyle4LClover
10-28-2013, 07:41 PM
What happened?

Steve's arm came out the window of the Rover whilst passing a Maple tree and he could not retract it in time and his arm got caught between the tree and the window frame and broke both bones in his forearm.

87xj95disco
10-29-2013, 11:07 AM
first off best wishes to stephen.

Another good turn out.

10-26-13 Novice.
we had 6 disco and 20+ spectators

Congrats to 2nd place-Brett $25 cash
1st-place-Jensen $50 girt certificate.

camping saturday night was another big hit. Around 12 tents and over 25 members
spent the night. Temps dipped down to 42 but still a good turn out.

10-27-13 Advanced.
5 discos,2 series,1 RRC,1 p38

Congrats to 3rd place- Dave Beard $75 gift certificate
2nd place- Frank Battersby $100 gift certificate
1st place- Randy Williams/Steve Bossongs

Randy Williams received the Bill Simone trophy and $70 gift certificate/ Steve was willing to take
a $35 gift certificate.

The winner of the spring event will receive the trophy from Randy.

hope to see you all soon

Lyle4LClover
10-30-2013, 09:17 PM
I was very happy with the turn out. I hope everyone liked the mud suprize on my side! It was a different event with the hill climbs and mud this year! It was great seeing some old faces again too.
Sorry I had to cut out early Sunday but duty called. Steve is out of surgery and everything went well.
The help on the work days made the courses what they were and a big thank you to those that helped. Looking to the next event!!!!
Lyle

Lyle4LClover
11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Anyone have a link to pictures or video from the event? I would love to see some of the hill climbs behind my house! Due to runing the event I can'be everywhere at once. I know there were several cameras catching such things as Evans daughter flying up some of the hills. Anyone have links? Would love to see the whole event as a spectator! Post what you got!

Ivar
11-08-2013, 05:17 PM
My friends took some videos of your back yard hill climb. I will try get them over the weekend.

Is it Steve in the yellow Series? I know they have one of him climbing that hill.

Ivar
11-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Hopefully you can all access this ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1w260xeoqvrpnf/6j3G52zmoQ

Frank84
11-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the videos Ivar!

Lyle4LClover
11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Hopefully you can all access this ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1w260xeoqvrpnf/6j3G52zmoQ

Thank you! That was great! Anyone else got pics or video?

Tom109
11-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Steve's arm came out the window of the Rover whilst passing a Maple tree and he could not retract it in time and his arm got caught between the tree and the window frame and broke both bones in his forearm.

Oh my! That sounds horrible! BTW, which Steve - English?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lyle4LClover
11-15-2013, 09:56 PM
The "Steve" that broke his arm is Steve Danz from Baltimore area. He has the pale yellow "Warthog" series III truck you may have seen here before or at MAR events. He did not have the truck entered in this fall's compitition due to a transmission issue. Steve is our cook on most events where we have a cookout for lunch and is a chef by trade. We all wish him a speedy recovery. Cooking with one arm can't be good for the wallet! His surgery went well and he's in the recovery process itching for the next event! Let's keep the photo's and video's coming from the event. I know there were more!
Lyle