PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood Trail Clean Up - Nov 23rd, interest?

Frank84
09-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I know there was interest earlier this year for another trail clean up in Ringwood State Park (NJ), but due to pipeline construction that area of the park was off limits. Well, it is still under construction but the park has partially opened the "brushwood" area that we normally go to and they would allow us back in for a volunteer clean up day.

I'm looking at the saturday before thanksgiving, November 23rd, as a possibility since I don't think it interferes with any other off road events that I've seen. It will run roughly 9am - 5pm and you must be there for the start or you'll never find us. The number of vehicle will be limited to 12 trucks.

So, is there interest still? If so, I'll try to book that saturday with the park.

For those unfamiliar with the event, we basically get permission for the day from the park to head back into the "brushwood" section of Ringwood State Park with our rovers and clear back overgrowth, fallen trees, and pick up "garbage". I use the term garbage loosely because we have hauled out entire junked cars in the past. This is very much a TREAD LIGHTLY type of wheeling adventure since we are there with special permission and want to be allowed back with our rovers - this is state land.

The trails are of mixed difficulty and we generally do an 8 mile loop so there's no parking it for the tougher spots - everyone must get through. A stock rover (with low range) can make it with some careful tire placement and a little spotting but there is always a risk of damage. Running boards and low front spoilers might not survive. If you are squeamish about scratches, you'll want to bring some branch clippers. Actually, you'll want them anyway but you'll just get to use them more.

Disco96JSWB
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Frank,
Please add Jake and me to the list.
We'll be in the LR3.

- Jeremy

Joe
09-19-2013, 05:35 PM
I think it is time I got back into the game! Put me down.

Unfortunately I blew the transmission yesterday. Looking for a rebuilt unit. Any leads?

Joe

Frank84
09-19-2013, 07:57 PM
I think it is time I got back into the game! Put me down.

Unfortunately I blew the transmission yesterday. Looking for a rebuilt unit. Any leads?

Joe

Glad you're up for it Joe!

Sorry to hear about the transmission though. Ashcroft is always a safe bet for quality rebuilds and parts. I've ordered a few things from them with no complaints.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=51

You'll either have to suck up the core charge or deal with shipping the broken one back to England. If you don't ship back the core you're probably looking at somewhere around $2000 + installation. I'm not sure what installation costs. Maybe 10-12 hours labor at $100 / hour.

grnthng
10-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Hi Frank, it's back by popular demand! I posted on Njlr as well! If there is room I would like to be there...and my brother in law wants to know if he could attend with his Jeep? I know it's a Jeep, but just asking?

Frank84
10-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi Frank, it's back by popular demand! I posted on Njlr as well! If there is room I would like to be there...and my brother in law wants to know if he could attend with his Jeep? I know it's a Jeep, but just asking?

Sure thing!

grnthng
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Great!! Looking forward!

Frank84
11-13-2013, 06:52 PM
There are others going from NJLR.org as well but here are the details. Looks like about 5-7 trucks so room for more if anyone else is interested.

PLEASE NOTE!!!! We will NOT be meeting at my parent's house this time. Since it gets dark so early we'll save 15 minutes and meet up at the park office. This is at the Ringwood Manor House (NOT Skylands Manor), 1304 Sloatsburg Road, Ringwood, NJ 07456.

Plan is to meet up there at 9am, sign the volunteer forms, and head into the woods for the day. Event is rain or shine. PM me if you don't have my cell # in case you are running late or lost. Here's what to bring:

1. lunch and plenty to drink (no alcohol)
2. have at least a half tank of fuel
3. work gloves
4. a few large garbage bags
5. if possible, chainsaw + fuel + cutting oil
6. if possible, hand saw and branch clippers (not hedge trimmers)
7. Anything else?

Disco96JSWB
11-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Jake and I are looking forward to the day at Ringwood.
We'll bring our chainsaw and branch cutters.

- Jeremy

grnthng
11-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Also looking forward.....I drove up through that area to West Milford and went past the reservoirs, needless to say they looked eriely dry, couldn't believe it!

cris_rrc
11-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Ready to go , got a new chainsaw today and oil , I'll get some gas as well , be there with my girls first offroad trip for them , see you in the morning.

grnthng
11-24-2013, 10:47 AM
What a great day...despite not reaching our final destination (the Buick) we still did a a lot of maintenance on the trail!
Thanks again Frank!
Cris, hope you made it home Ok!

Frank84
11-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone for coming yesterday and a special thanks to those who brought the chainsaws - we wouldn't have gotten too far without them. I didn't count how many we removed but some were a lot of work and took a while to clear. Clearing the downed trees (still from Hurricane Sandy) really was the main goal of this clean up but we still managed to pull out some garbage found along the way. With all of those trees cleared we should be able to get to our destination next time.

cris_rrc
11-24-2013, 12:26 PM
What a great day...despite not reaching our final destination (the Buick) we still did a a lot of maintenance on the trail!
Thanks again Frank!
Cris, hope you made it home Ok!

Yes we had great day , driving back home with no brakes wasnt fun but between down shifting and ebrake I made home in one piece , now I need caliper rotors and pads , ohh well needed brakes anyway

qbenplaya00
04-01-2014, 05:57 PM
any talk of either doing this again or running the trails up there? know if the construction is finished?

Frank84
04-03-2014, 11:29 AM
any talk of either doing this again or running the trails up there? know if the construction is finished?

We'll do a clean up again, likely in the fall. The construction is still going on unfortunately - I have no idea when they'll finish.