PDA

View Full Version : Presidency and the club

galen211
12-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know the status of the club at this moment? I know Mike posted at one point about outside issues going on and maybe he doesn't have time?

I have been thinking and would be interested in taking over the presidency if that is possible? Does it need to be voted at a club meeting or anything? No idea if rules even exist for this kind of thing.

I have several ideas for events to mix in with the old traditional ones that make this club great.

Any feedback?

devildog01
12-13-2013, 08:12 PM
I second that emotion. Galen for El Presidente

Disco96JSWB
12-14-2013, 11:40 AM
My 2 cents is that the people in this club are a nice, diverse group of folks. Land Rovers are cool. Interest in the Series trucks is strong; the imported 90/110s are an added dimension that bridges the gap to Discos and RRCs. There's plenty of reason to try to keep the club together and moving forwards. I'm in favor of anything that builds on what exists today, and if Mike would like to hand over the reigns, I certainly support Galen. To be fair to Mike, he agreed to take over from Tom Bache when all the rest of us took a step backwards, so to speak, and kept it together.

Jeremy

Frank84
12-14-2013, 06:45 PM
If you need Mike's contact info let me know. But I know he has been swamped with life and work lately and trying to not only run but also rejuvenate the club is a lot of work. I'd love to see some new ideas and we could use a spark to get things going again. Mike (along with others) have worked hard at keeping Robesonia alive and well but a lot of the other things have fallen off a bit over the past few years.

The people and their rovers are still out there, just need to bring everyone back together.

galen211
12-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Frank I would appreciate his info. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or create a coup de tat. Just want to see the club moving along.

I kept quiet when Mike stepped up before, but because I was in VA. Now is a better time for me being back in PA.

mlp141
01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Any updates?

galen211
01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Wrote Mike 2 weeks ago and no response. It is my feeling at this point to just start organizing some things and get some new events on the calender and go from there. If Mike wants to continue to be president he can at any time. Not sure that I even want to call myself president, but maybe interim adviser to the president or something along those lines? :D

Time to schedule a date for SCC? :cool:

mlp141
01-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Makes sense. If there is a full reshuffle I might be willing to try to resurrect the newsletter. However I have zero desire to be a part of actually/physically printing the thing. It seems like a waste of time and energy. I propose a PDF version only. It can be posted it on the website and forums and emailed to the entire club. It allows for full color, unlimited copy and ad space, and immense cost savings. Instead of spending tons on ink, paper, and postage we'd need to get our hands on a full copy of Adobe's PDF maker (only the reader is free).

I know we love our "old" Rovers but it doesn't mean our members use of technology need to be equally outdated. I know very little about everyone's occupations but using email and reading PDFs must be a part of their respective jobs.

devildog01
01-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Time to schedule a date for SCC? :cool:

Working on it. :D

spechols
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I propose the position be renamed "Club Lackey" and that we appoint Galen.

galen211
01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I think an email newsletter would be good. Let's the club members know we are still here.

I had a few other thoughts for the club...

1. Facebook - I hate Facebook, but we should have a page.
2. In talking to Frank we will likely drop yearly dues, but continue to collect fees per event.
3. Couple of years ago we did a swap meet and would like to see one again.
4. Have always wanted to do a Series only event. My initial thought is a road rally or scavenger hunt style event up here in the State Forest. Something fun, but non-damaging for the shiny trucks.

Any other ideas? Would love to see a mini camel trophy, but no idea how to pull that off?

galen211
01-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Went ahead and created a facebook page. Anybody else want to be a moderator besides me?

devildog01
01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
What's the starting salary?

galen211
01-08-2014, 05:42 PM
What's the starting salary?

I'll match my salary for said service! :cool:

crazyfish
01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I can add content management to the site as well.
Keep charging dues.

galen211
01-08-2014, 09:51 PM
I can add content management to the site as well.
Keep charging dues.

If we charge dues we need to offer something in return and be consistent. Frank was getting nastigrams from people asking why they had to pay dues for when they weren't even getting a newsletter.

I have no problem with a one time membership fee and event charges, but yearly dues need to have a consistent return in my opinion.

devildog01
01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
I'll match my salary for said service! :cool:
Deal!!!!!

rvrsrvc
01-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Maybe I could host a swap meet at my place. There are also some obstacles in the back yard that could be utilized for fun.....

galen211
01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Maybe I could host a swap meet at my place. There are also some obstacles in the back yard that could be utilized for fun.....

I have wanted to do a swap meet, but at one point Doug Crowther talked about one too. Not sure if we would get some cross-swapping...

devildog01
01-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Hhhmmm, a trials event using chicken's and a goat instead of canes? I'm game!

Disco96JSWB
01-17-2014, 03:27 PM

Here's a vote in favor of the idea of a swap meet at Trevor's shop.

The AACA Museum is nearby and a trip over there could be an optional agenda item possibly. Hershey has other attractions too, so the event could possibly appeal to folks combining a family destination with Rover parts shopping.

rvrsrvc
01-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Excellent point Jeremy.
Brett, I like the idea of moving gates....

03springer
01-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Thumbs up for the swap meet. Even if I don`t buy or sell anything it still would be good to chew the fat :cool:

DiscoSux
01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Here's a vote in favor of the idea of a swap meet at Trevor's shop.

I, for one, am completely against the idea of a swap meet at Trevor's place. The thought of Brett in my hometown gives me the chills...

scottsdalerrc
01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
While i'm no dues paying member, i'd be happy to be one. And if i can offer any of my abilities i'd be happy to if it'll keep a local club going (i'm in IT: photoshop/design, web, all around IT).

qbenplaya00
01-30-2014, 09:16 PM
hope you got stuff for us jerseyans

87xj95disco
02-01-2014, 01:16 PM
hello everyone

sorry for not being one for a long time posting n keeping in contact with everyone.

a lot has had happened in my life right now with BIG changes.

@gal that would be great if you could help VP.
I take care of all paper work and money for the club any help with running the club
will be great. SORRY that I have not returned any emails

im working with lyle on trials at Robesonia very soon
I now have internet and will start being more active now.

im going to go all out this spring to make up for the rovers picnic.
again im sorry for not being on for a long time.

Disco96JSWB
02-02-2014, 10:21 AM
hello everyone

sorry for not being one for a long time posting n keeping in contact with everyone.

a lot has had happened in my life right now with BIG changes.

@gal that would be great if you could help VP.
I take care of all paper work and money for the club any help with running the club
will be great. SORRY that I have not returned any emails

im working with lyle on trials at Robesonia very soon
I now have internet and will start being more active now.

im going to go all out this spring to make up for the rovers picnic.
again im sorry for not being on for a long time.

Does the club have by-laws?
Is it run as a non-profit?
Is there any reporting (financial or otherwise) done on a regular (e.g., annual) basis?

87xj95disco
02-02-2014, 06:09 PM
we are a non profit.
we do not have enough funds to report. there is a certain amount that a club has to have to report, but we are not the even close to it.
the club has a waiver that club members have to sign be for each event. we are in the middle of up dating the waiver right now.

Disco96JSWB
02-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know the status of the club at this moment? I know Mike posted at one point about outside issues going on and maybe he doesn't have time?

I have been thinking and would be interested in taking over the presidency if that is possible? Does it need to be voted at a club meeting or anything? No idea if rules even exist for this kind of thing.

I have several ideas for events to mix in with the old traditional ones that make this club great.

Any feedback?

Well, a few weeks later we know more about the status of the club than we did.

According to Mike, there are no by-laws specifying a procedure for voting in a new president.

I nominate Galen for a 2-year term as Club President which could be extended by another vote.
Do I hear a second?

devildog01
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
I second that motion. I also nominate Frank as secretary and treasure. He already has the clubs best interset in mind and is familiar with the financial status of the club. This is a great club with a great heritage and it is my feeling that we can move forward with a little communication between members.

galen211
02-04-2014, 09:28 AM
To be fair, if Mike has spoken up and wants to stay on, that's fine by me. But, let's create some bylaws and set a time for elections.

Ultimately I want what's best for the club to continue on in an enjoyable way. I would like to see more events, or try some new ones. Also would like to see cross sponsorship of events with groups like NELR. When I got Solomon's there was a dash plaque in the bulkhead tray that was ROVERS and Blue Ridge Land Rover Club Groundhog day event. Not only did they have an event, but they had dash plaques made!

Lastly, I would advocate for the removal of the ROVERS group site on FB. It has 27 likes (I didn't even know it existed), the page I created has 85 likes. Pages are better because they show up in your feed, so when we announce an event people see it. With the group site people have to actively go look at it. Mike if you like the ROVERS page I can make you an admin. Right now, it is me, Dave, Brett and Sean.

galen211
02-04-2014, 10:42 AM
To be fair, if Mike has spoken up and wants to stay on, that's fine by me. But, let's create some bylaws and set a time for elections.

Ultimately I want what's best for the club to continue on in an enjoyable way. I would like to see more events, or try some new ones. Also would like to see cross sponsorship of events with groups like NELR. When I got Solomon's there was a dash plaque in the bulkhead tray that was ROVERS and Blue Ridge Land Rover Club Groundhog day event. Not only did they have an event, but they had dash plaques made!

Lastly, I would advocate for the removal of the ROVERS group site on FB. It has 27 likes (I didn't even know it existed), the page I created has 85 likes. Pages are better because they show up in your feed, so when we announce an event people see it. With the group site people have to actively go look at it. Mike if you like the ROVERS page I can make you an admin. Right now, it is me, Dave, Brett and Sean.

Scratch the part about by-laws. I want the club to be informal and fun, not guided by rules. Maybe some basic guidelines instead?

Frank84
02-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Lots to discuss for sure! In the distant past the club president, secretary, treasury, etc were elected (or re-elected) at the "annual general meeting". I don't remember when the last one of those was but it may have been ~2004? This meeting was really just like the picnic only it was in the winter so was inside, sometimes at a dealership. It wasn't a very formal process from what I recall. Tom Bache will be at Spruce and he'll certainly remember.

Like Galen said, its probably time to renew the old "guidlines" and/or make some new ones so everyone is on the same page. I'm willing to help out wherever I can.

galen211
02-04-2014, 03:05 PM
I still have a really nice leatherbound photo album that the dealership gave us at one of those annual meetings. I use it as a log book for all my Discovery repairs.

Frank84
02-04-2014, 03:14 PM
I still have a really nice leatherbound photo album that the dealership gave us at one of those annual meetings. I use it as a log book for all my Discovery repairs.

I hope there were a lot of pages in that book.

devildog01
02-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Maybe we should try and hold a meeting at scc. Seems like it would be a fitting place to have it.

mlp141
02-06-2014, 07:27 AM
I remember one dealership event. I think it was at Mainline? I had just gotten my Disco (October 2003) so maybe it was that winter.

I think discussions at SCC make sense but some people cannot attend that. Not to say that everyone can attend everything anyway, but SCC is a 2/3-day commitment that is also limited in space. A one-day get together somewhere would hopefully yield greater attendance.

Also, what positions exist? President, VP, Treasurer and Secretary? If the topic comes up at SCC I would be interested in handling the club newsletter. I suggested to Galen, however, that it might make the most sense to make it a digital publication. If there is interest in that I would be more than happy to share my ideas.

I cannot make it this year to SCC and I am greatly disappointed. I look forward to the photos and stories.

Ivar
02-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I support any decision made to keep the club thriving. Willing to pay dues if I have to. Don't think we need complicated legal laws and by-laws. Lets keep it fun and simple, like an old Series.

Lets also consider organizing a get together where we all meet for a lunch (thinking Stoudts), or even a pub at night. Problem with pub is kids wont want to go. Just throwing some ideas out there. When I see other clubs photos of their diner or wherever get-togethers, I get jealous!

bbettridge
02-08-2014, 05:44 PM
In the past, positions were:

President
Treasurer
Newsletter coordinator
Webmaster
Membership coordinator
Activities coordinator
Legal guy (club used to be incorporated, but not sure if it still is)

Everything else were ad-hoc positions or responsibilities

I think its key to have a formal treasurer again separate from president. Good separation of authority.

Newsletter is a lot of work and costly, but maybe I'm old fashioned but it's still nice to get something physical.

New members used to receive a patch or sticker when they joined, and could also purchase a t-shirt for additional $$

Not saying it has to be the same again, but just pointing out what was in the past.

No horse in this race since I don't even have a Rover (sigh)

Bill

Ivar
02-13-2014, 12:40 PM

Galen, where or what is the name of the page you created? The R.O.V.E.R.S.club.org group site has 32 members. Is that going away? Which will be the central communication site?

bbettridge
02-13-2014, 08:56 PM
I'd think the old Yahoo group could go quietly into the night also.......IMO

mlp141
02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
I'd think the old Yahoo group could go quietly into the night also.......IMO

I concur.

Tom Bache
02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Members deleted.

TB

87xj95disco
03-13-2014, 06:34 PM
ok talked to some of the members and galen.
I am going to step back to VP and Galen will be club President.
He will officially take over at the end of the spring event. I will still have my hands in the
Robesonia events and some others.
Hope the best to Galen.

Thank you ALL for your support.

Michael Stevens

galen211
03-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Thank you Mike for this opportunity and thank you for staying on as VP and with Robesonia.

Lyle4LClover
03-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Thank you both, From being a big part of all the Robesonia events I know what it takes to coordinate and operate a production. I know the sacrifice from family and such. Mike thank you for taking the presidency and Galen thanks for taking over. I look forward to working wih anyone that has the passion to to take a Rover in the woods and do with it what it was made to do! Let's go show them what we can do together!
Let's make some trails and follow me!
Lyle

rvrsrvc
03-17-2014, 11:12 AM
I second- (or third?) a thank you to Mike for his efforts over the years. Looking forward to the Trials!