PDA

View Full Version : 300TDI for my 109

siiirhd88
12-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Having struggled with several issues with my SIII 109 and needing to use it as my pickup truck, I thought I'd pull the 3.9 V8 from my rolled 88 chassis and convert the 109 to return it to service. Instead, I now have a 15k mile 300TDI from a MOD Defender, with R380 5 speed (that might have issues), rad and intercooler.

I've been looking at the numerous boards with conversion info, and think that I will use a late SIIA trans with a Fairy OD behind the TDI. Once I sort out the R380, I will consider that swap which will require moving the mounts and a chassis crossmember as I did in the wife's SIIA V8 109.

I'm starting to gather the assorted bits, including a right side engine mounting bracket, but I am concerned about fitting the rad and intercooler with the setback rad panel. I might have to go for the Defender grill and bonnet for adequate space.

Bob

mlp141
12-15-2013, 03:17 PM
I would love a 300tdi in my 88. If I ever get the cash together I really would like to put a diesel (prob a 200) into my SIIa.

Disco96JSWB
12-15-2013, 03:24 PM
The 300TDi in Frank's RRC is really impressive. It sounds good, and it delivers remarkable economy, so that seems like a great choice for a 109. Having lived with an R380 for 15+ years, I'm not a huge fan. A Series IIA gearbox is strong and has 'character. The 'Stage 1' look with a Defender front panel seems like it would be fine if there's not room for the setback panel but maybe a modern-style radiator would be small enough for the radiator panel in the original position, given the size of a stock IIA radiator? It'll be interesting to hear how the gearing works out.

We're going to want to see a picture or two as things progress . . .

galen211
12-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Funny. I love my R380, except for the failing bearing....

kun109
12-15-2013, 08:20 PM
20592060You can keep the stock rad support in its original location if you go with the series IIa tranny. I was able too, using my stock series III tranny on my 200 conversion. It took some trimming to the rad support and modifations to the rad/intercooler frame though. If you go with the R380, pretty sure everything's got to be moved 4 inches forward. Also, the 300 tdi conversion is going to require mods to both of the frames motor mount locations. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I came across that while researching the 200 conversion. Last, don't forget to budget in your new exhaust and possibly custom oil cooler lines. Good luck, you're gonna love it and getting almost 25 mpg's is icing on the cake.

siiirhd88
12-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Ken, thanks for the pics. I'd rather keep the setback rad panel.....

I picked up a right side engine mount bracket that spans the oil filter and uses the factory right side chassis mount location. There are two sets of threaded holes on the left side of the engine block, and the front set is supposed to be at the same location as on the 2.25 to allow use of the factory left side chassis mount. No oil cooler lines came with the engine, but I bought a set of AN adapters years ago that I thought were for a 3.9 but were apparently for this engine. I'll try to find them.

I'm looking forward to the conversion, even if I didn't already have enough projects.

Bob

Frank84
12-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Should be a great combo in that truck - you'll love it! Good luck on the conversion and take plenty of notes and pictures.

siiirhd88
12-23-2013, 08:27 PM
I plan on taking photos as I go, but I'll likely get busy and forget..... I'm still gathering bits and noodling plans while I remove the un-needed bits from the engine. I did find a sheared clutch cover bolt, but otherwise everything looks great. I need a starter, alternator and exhaust down pipe for the fitting, and figure out what to do with the PS pump.

Bob

Should be a great combo in that truck - you'll love it! Good luck on the conversion and take plenty of notes and pictures.

Tom109
12-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Bob,

Sounds like an great project, and with your skills should come out excellent.

Is your 109 LHD or RHD?

Tom P.

siiirhd88
12-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Hi Tom,

The 109 is a 1980 RHD, now on a military spec chassis. I think I will convert the R380 to a short bellhousing and use it behind the 3.9 V8 in the 88.

I have way too many projects.....

Bob

Bob,

Sounds like an great project, and with your skills should come out excellent.

Is your 109 LHD or RHD?

Tom P.

Tom109
12-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Bob,

From what I have read, I think this is an easier RHD installation vs. LHD, due to exhaust/turbo clearance.

I think a 200Tdi would be the all the icing I need for my 109, I'm just not willing to take on that scale of project right now...

Tom P.

siiirhd88
12-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Tom,

It is easy to see that the LHD steering box and linkage would interfere with the exhaust and turbo. Without the engine in the chassis, it looks like the turbo inlet / outlet hoses could be a tight fit with the left side bulkhead support. The Defender 300TDI exhaust outlet is straight down, and the pipe will be very close to the left side engine mount bracket. I'll have to make up a pipe with a turn immediately below the flange. I'm going to stop by the nearby British / Exotic car junkyard tomorrow to eyeball some pipes and flanges....

Dawn's 109 was originally a LHD truck, but it was far easier to convert to RHD for the 3.9 V8 left side exhaust manifold clearance.

Bob

siiirhd88
01-01-2014, 11:02 AM
After checking a number of cars, we found the exhaust manifold flange is similar to the TR-3, early TR-4 and early TR-6 flange. The Triumph uses a 2 inch pipe with a three hole flange, and the 300TDI uses a 2.25 inch pipe with a larger three hole flange but with the same bolt spacing. I found a new TR-3 partial downpipe in my garage, from when I installed the header on my TR-3 back in '73...... As Dawn says, I apparently don't throw anything away. I can use the TR-3 pipe to fab up what I need for the 300TDI downpipe, and I will order a 2.25 inch blank flange to fab up a usable downpipe.

I still need to gather a few more bits. The right side engine mount block bracket was trimmed to clear the oil filter housing, but then found the mounting bolt holes need filed to line up to the holes in the block.

Bob