PDA

View Full Version : Recommend tire stores in Mid-Pa ?

Steve Taylor
05-27-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm going to be needing some big new rubber for my 101s soon. Any recommendations for where to shop in mid-Pa. ?

Steve

airbornrover
05-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Depends on what type of tire you are looking for. Most new tires are cheaper and easier to get via online stores, shipped right to your door.

Steve Taylor
05-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Depends on what type of tire you are looking for. Most new tires are cheaper and easier to get via online stores, shipped right to your door.
Thanks for that.

sven
05-29-2014, 10:29 AM
LMR Tire has good prices for Cooper tires (my favorite). Also, you could do the internet thing and LMR will only charge $40 to mount and balance all 4 tires (no size restriction).

http://www.lmrtires.com/

galen211
05-29-2014, 10:46 AM
x2 on LMR. I switched my tires from Series steel wheels to Disco alloys and removed/discarded old tires on the alloys and they only charged me $40 for the whole thing. Others wanted well over $100 to do the same thing.

Steve Taylor
05-29-2014, 03:10 PM
The GS has some quite decent re-treads on him, but they are a bit too small for a 101 really, and some unkind souls suggested they looked like skateboard wheels. :mad:

The Ambi (the project - no offer of help refused) has bar-grips, and any sharp braking on a wet road in them means you need a change of underwear. :eek:

I had a bunch of new rims made, but no centres in them yet IIRC they are 16", and 10" wide. What would be a good tread for local conditions ? Mudders ? Not Rock crawlers ?

315/75R16 sound about right ?

Steve

galen211
05-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Depends on what you want to do. We have lots of mud and lots of rocks. I currently run BGF AT's and they cover pretty much everything we have around here. Mud tires would be a good choice too.

Steve Taylor
05-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Depends on what you want to do. We have lots of mud and lots of rocks. I currently run BGF AT's and they cover pretty much everything we have around here. Mud tires would be a good choice too.

I likes lots of mud I do....

Lyle4LClover
06-01-2014, 09:29 PM
As for tyres, I ran McCreary crossbar military tires in 7.00 x 16 on my series for about 12 years. Finally picked up a set of used CoOp GripSpur 7.5 x 16's and have been running ever since. Are they loud? YES! Do they suck on wet pavement? Absolutely! Do they go off road? YES! I finally made a trek into town today and stopped at the garage to get fuel and check the tyre pressure, I had 0 psi, 8 psi, 16 psi and 0 psi. Would have never known. These tyres are so stiff they look and act the same with 0 psi as they do with 35 psi in them. As for tyres, just make sure they match your needs. I'd shop around and have them shipped to you once you find what you need.