PDA

View Full Version : Disco 2 engine tap

Todd
04-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I have a 99 d2 and ever since i've had it , there has always been this typewriter taping sound from the engine, i've taken it to the dealersip, but the said it was a burned out gasket in the y pipe, and they replaced it. I still have the tapping even after that. I've heard that it's normal, is it true? what can I do?

Alvin
04-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Where is the tap coming from? Top of the engine or bottom? To me, it seems more likely that you have a sticking valve. That would cause the typewriter sound you are having, but it would definitely be coming from the top of the engine. If it's the Y pipe, the engine would sound "rough". I had loose Y pipe bolts and JohnC. tightened them for me. He heard the sound and he knew exactly what the problem was. I didn't have the typewrighter sound. My dad's car, though, has the sound. And it's definitely a valve. So you might want to check that. There are different methods to get rid of the sound. Some have mentioned adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to your engine oil (others say Seafoam). I have no experience with either, others on the board might be able to provide more info. Good luck.

Todd138
04-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes, The sound is coming from the valve area, I was told this is a normal land rover noise, but it drives me nuts. I didn't know if everyones sounds like this too.

Alvin
04-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Just what I thought. I believe it might be a sticking valve. Try some Marvel Mystery Oil (available in most auto supply stores). Read the directions on the can. If it doesn't clean up the carbon on the valve, then try the seafoam (although I don't know much about it). Although I wouldn't panic as many cars and trucks have this tapping, and I don't know how badly yours is tapping, I would do what I can to get it taken care of. I just blew my engine because of a dropped cylinder sleeve, but we weren't sure what it was before we disassembled the engine. Someone had speculated that it could have been a dropped valve that could have caused the damage. The mystery oil should remove enough carbon to hopefully loosen up the valve and prevent any (or more) damage. Like I said, don't panic as it might not be a big deal, but try the mystery oil in case it works and can be a quick and cheap fix.

Todd138
04-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey, thank you very much, I will give that a try! I set an appointment with the LR dealership cause I still have a drivetrain warrenty on it, but last time I took it in for this problem, they acted like they could not hear what i was hearing, it's not a quite tap haha. but I will try yuor idea before i take it in, once again thank you!!