PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood State Park Trail Clean Up - Dec 6th

Frank84
09-16-2014, 03:49 PM
2014 marks the 12th year of doing trail maintenance in Ringwood State Park, NJ. We've hauled out hundreds of pounds of garbage, junked cars, and all sorts of weird items that people have dragged into the woods. We've spent hours and hours clearing back branches and removing fallen trees from the trails after Hurricane Sandy. But the work isn't done and lucky for us there is still plenty to do and keep us busy in the park.

Saturday, December 6th will be the next event and it may end up being a little different than past ones. At this point, they are going on year 2 of pipeline construction that essentially divides the park in half and blocks access for most of where we need to go. Originally, my understanding was that construction was supposed to last 4 months but things always seem to take longer than planned. Depending on the state of construction, we may not be able to go to the areas we normally visit. If that is the case the park has agreed to grant us access to an area of Norvin Green State Forest that they patrol and manage. This forest is on the opposite side of town and should provide us with plenty of trail clearing and garbage removal opportunities.

No matter where we end up, you'll get plenty of time driving in low range on trails not normally accessible to the public for 4x4 use. When we started these events, the trails were generally suited for most any rover and even scratches were a rare thing. I must warn you that this is no longer the case. The trails have gradually eroded and become more challenging over the years. You are guaranteed to scratch your paint - especially if we end up in Norvin Green. If you have been to Rausch, I'd say that 90% of the trail mileage will be a Green rating and 10% will be Blue. Problem is you can't just skip the Blue parts.

If you've never been before, feel free to ask questions.

Details:

When: Saturday, December 6th. Meet at 8:45 am and depart for trails at 9:00am. We generally finish up around 5pm but I can't guarantee a time so don't make evening plans. Also, there is no way to find us mid-day and it will be difficult to navigate back out of the trails on your own early.

Where: Meet up at the park office to sign volunteer forms. 1304 Sloatsburg Road, Ringwood, NJ.

What to bring: Dress for being outside all day, rain or shine or snow. (If the weather is truly terrible, I might postpone) At least 3/4 tank of fuel. Bring lunch, snacks, and plenty to rehydrate with (NO Alcohol). A few garbage bags, work gloves, branch clippers, bow saw. A chainsaw may be a good idea if you have one, but I will let everyone know when the date nears what the plan is for fallen tree clearing.

Disco96JSWB
09-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Jake and I will be there (but with a Disco and not an LR3).

hilltoppersx
09-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Hey Frank, I been wanting to do this for years now. I can actually make it this time. I'll be by myself but will bring proper tools and have no back seats so plenty of room to take stuff out.

Frank84
09-23-2014, 09:55 AM
So far looks like we have Jake, Jeremy, and Ed. Thanks guys!

The event is still pretty far out, but as it gets closer I'll figure out what the best plan of attack is for the day so we can pack accordingly. We may be mostly hauling garbage, mostly clearing trees, or a combo of the two.

Just this morning I got a tentative green light from the park to reopen an old mining road that would let us get to an area that needs some garbage removal. The benefit of this old road is that it doesn't require us to cross the pipeline so we wouldn't be affected by whatever construction is going on.

Jarek M
11-14-2014, 04:39 PM
If I could speak for one spot on this fine and noble endeavor.

Frank84
12-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Just a reminder - this is still on! Looks like a small group but we should have about 5 trucks. I went on a recon trip yesterday and it looks like we'll be primarily removing trees and limbs that have crossed the trail but we'll try to get back to the clean up area in the afternoon. At the request of the park and a local hiking group, there's a trail/logging road that we'll be helping to resurrect that hasn't been used in decades.

We'll be meeting up here at the park office at 8:45:

1304 Sloatsburg Road, Ringwood, NJ.

Bring lunch and dress for being out in the woods.

Disco96JSWB
12-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Brett should come along with his LR3.
I'd like to see how to drive one offroad since I never figured it out with mine.
And it's practically in his backyard anyway. :D

- Jeremy

Frank84
12-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Brett should come along with his LR3.
I'd like to see how to drive one offroad since I never figured it out with mine.
And it's practically in his backyard anyway. :D

- Jeremy

Brett should definitely come!

hilltoppersx
12-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Hey Frank, you will have to count me out, I am now working Saturday. Upsetting to say the least..... I've been waiting to go on this trip with you for a few years now.

Frank84
12-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Hey Frank, you will have to count me out, I am now working Saturday. Upsetting to say the least..... I've been waiting to go on this trip with you for a few years now.

Sorry to hear Ed, but there will always be next year!

Frank84
12-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Weather looks cold and rainy tomorrow so bring your rain gear!

mlp141
12-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Pix por favor.

Frank84
12-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Pix por favor.

I was too busy (or lazy...) to take any, but a few others took some so I'm sure they'll post.

It was rainy, cold, and foggy for the entire day but we still had fun and a decent turnout. We spent most of the day clearing fallen trees rather than doing our normal trash pick up. Quite a few new faces as well as some very familiar ones.

Thanks to all who helped out. I'll probably set up another one in the spring.

Disco96JSWB
12-07-2014, 09:10 PM
That was a good day despite the weather.
It's great to be able to do something worthwhile and mess around with Rovers at the same time.
Thanks to Frank for organizing it.

Jake put together an album:
https://plus.google.com/photos/109077591298154301420/albums/6090258628782023041

- Jeremy

mlp141
12-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Whose G4? God I miss mine.

Frank84
12-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks for posting up the picts Jeremy, I'm going to steal some to send to the park.