PDA

View Full Version : RRC door lock cylinders, remote - Q&A

Tom109
03-10-2015, 09:45 AM
For reference, this is a 1995 RRC alarm system with the single button remote.

Our LWB came with two door keys, two ignition keys, and one remote. Does this indicate either the door or ignition cylinders were changed, or did the 1995 LWB come with both keys from new?

Next, when turning the door cylinders with the key, nothing happens - no locking/unlocking, no alarm activation. Is this lock cylinder related, linkage-related, or a bad door handle?

At the moment I can only lock using the remote, and I only have one. So, I'm a little hesitant to travel and lock it without the mechanical key means to unlock and open it. I have not tried a key in the rear hatch, but I do not believe it is tied into the alarm system or central locking (with a key).

Any suggestions on the door cylinders?

Anyone have an extra single-button remote?

Tom109
03-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Issue resolved. I removed the door lock cylinders and checked the handle/latch linkages - everything seemed OK. Upon re-installing the cylinders the door key worked fine. I think it was a misalignment with the eccentric beneath the e-clip.

I wanted to drive the RRC this weekend, so I buttoned everything back up. In the future I'll attempt to match the door cylinders to the ignition so I can carry only one key.

Disco96JSWB
03-23-2015, 02:00 PM
In the future I'll attempt to match the door cylinders to the ignition so I can carry only one key.

Interesting to read about the door locks.

So from this statement above it seems that the door cylinders can be replaced.
My rear hatch lock (cylinder) doesn't match my door locks and I don't have a key.
Is it possible for me to get a cylinder that matches my door and ignition locks (so the same key would be used)?

Tom109
03-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Yes, at least the doors are easy to change. There is a small e-clip retaining each cylinder. I have not checked the upper liftgate, but I hope to remove it this week for some rust work. I'll take a look at the lock cylinder then..

The ignition lock cylinder is more involved, so what I hope to accomplish is to re-cylinder the doors/liftgate to match the ignition key. Not a huge priority as everything now works, I would just like to get down to one key.