PDA

View Full Version : Last week to place an order for a new Defender

Disco96JSWB
07-09-2015, 06:54 PM
This is a nice article about the demise of the (true) Defender, although the politics of the situation as presented (i.e., that production is ceasing because of EU regulations) is a little difficult to understand/accept from this side of the pond. "Killed off by the Nanny State!" is part of the headline.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3154286/RIP-Queen-s-favourite-bone-rattler-Killed-nanny-state-MAX-HASTINGS-pays-tribute-Land-Rover-Defender.html

Frank84
07-10-2015, 09:19 AM
As much as I hate to see the end I guess it was bound to happen. It's been a while since we could get a new one here anyway. As long as spares are readily available they are easy enough to keep rebuilding thankfully.

Disco96JSWB
07-10-2015, 11:07 AM
As much as I hate to see the end I guess it was bound to happen. It's been a while since we could get a new one here anyway. As long as spares are readily available they are easy enough to keep rebuilding thankfully.

Yeah, and the fact that Jeep can figure out how to sell a new JK in Europe kind of makes it seem like Land Rover doesn't really want to continue to sell Defenders, at least not enough to invest in making it happen.

So the impact for us is that in 25 years the supply of Defenders which are newly-eligible for import into the US will dry up.

Frank84
07-10-2015, 12:00 PM
So the impact for us is that in 25 years the supply of Defenders which are newly-eligible for import into the US will dry up.

Ha! Americans still have 25 more years of new Defenders to look forward to then!

The number of imported ones really is starting to grow. It is no longer uncommon to see one on the road and it seems like once a month or so I spot one. The last spotting was about 3 weeks ago on I-95 in Delaware - a beautiful, red 110 double cab pickup. They stand out in a sea of otherwise boring cars on the road.