PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood State Park Trail Clean Up, Saturday Dec 5th

Frank84
10-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Saturday, December 5th will be the next event and pipeline construction is over with so we should be able to get back to our old areas to clean up garbage, clear overgrowth, and move off downed trees. You'll get to drive about 8-10 miles of trails not normally open to 4wheel drive use on public land with permission granted by the NJ park service for the day.

If you haven't been to one of these before, time is split about 50/50 between driving and cleaning up. We don't go joy riding but it just happens to take that long to get out and back to the clean up areas. Most of the trails are mild to moderate but there are a few tricky spots that cannot be avoided so if you're squeamish about your paint and bodywork then this might not be the best trip for you. As on any off road trip, damage is possible. Scratches are guaranteed.

Details:

When: Saturday, December 5th. Meet at 8:45 am and depart for trails at 9:00am. We generally finish up around 5pm but I can't guarantee a time so don't make evening plans. Also, there is no way to find us mid-day and it will be difficult to navigate back out of the trails on your own early.

Where: Meet up at the park office to sign volunteer forms. 1304 Sloatsburg Road, Ringwood, NJ.

What to bring: Dress for being outside all day, rain or shine or snow. (If the weather is truly terrible, I might postpone) At least 3/4 tank of fuel. Bring lunch, snacks, and plenty to rehydrate with (NO Alcohol). A few garbage bags, work gloves, branch clippers, bow saw. A chainsaw would be good if you have one.

Disco96JSWB
10-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Jake and I will be there for it.

Frank84
10-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Jake and I will be there for it.

Excellent!

mlp141
11-07-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm in. QQ will make her debut.

Frank84
11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm in. QQ will make her debut.

Most excellent!

mlp141
11-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Plan is to tow her up. Is there someplace "safe" I can leave my F150 and trailer.

Frank84
11-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Plan is to tow her up. Is there someplace "safe" I can leave my F150 and trailer.

We meet up at the park office and there is a big parking lot there - very safe place to leave it.

mlp141
11-09-2015, 08:12 PM
OK, good. Not sure how long of a drive it'll be towing it but it'll be a hell of a lot shorter than driving QQ herself!

Frank84
11-23-2015, 11:30 AM
I did a pre-run of the trails on Saturday and we are looking set for a good day on the 5th. There are a few trees I'd like to move off the trails so if anyone has a decent chain saw please bring it along. I'll bring mine but at least one more would be good to have. We'll have some of the usual garbage to pick up and I noticed that the front fenders and radiator support from the '55 Belair have finally separated themselves from the cab of the car - thank you rust! If anyone wants some severally mangled and rusty Chevy fenders they are all yours.

The pipeline construction is complete up there, however, they have gone and installed a ton of gates that make it hard to navigate back there with a vehicle now. The pipeline is technically private property (I think) and is not property of the state park and they have made it pretty clear they don't want anyone on it. We used to use it as a short cut of sorts and we cannot do that now. So, please try your best to be on time in the morning because we'll need all the time we can get to beat the sun setting.

And for those who came last year for the old trail resurrection - you'll be happy to know that the Boy Scouts came through and put some trail markings on it. The path is on the new maps that they are starting to print and is called "Bear Swamp Trail".

mlp141
11-27-2015, 01:15 AM
Just ordered some load ramps for the trailer. The axle tie downs are in, wheel tie downs will be here tomorrow. Everything is shaping up. Can't wait for next weekend.

jakeb44
11-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Can't wait for next weekend.

X2-

Here are a few photos from last year.

https://goo.gl/photos/Rek1SuFn8DHR1mvFA

galen211
11-28-2015, 11:14 AM
I was hoping to make this but was informed by my wife she invited my mother in law over for a belated thanksgiving. I think it goes without saying I'd rather be with you guys. :)

Frank84
11-30-2015, 08:58 AM
I was hoping to make this but was informed by my wife she invited my mother in law over for a belated thanksgiving. I think it goes without saying I'd rather be with you guys. :)

Yeah, that goes without saying!

Can't wait for Saturday - weather looks great (knock wood). 48 and sunny

mlp141
12-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Not sure about up north but here on the coast we are going to slammed with rain Tuesday and Wednesday. Might make for some muddy fun Saturday.

Frank84
12-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Not sure about up north but here on the coast we are going to slammed with rain Tuesday and Wednesday. Might make for some muddy fun Saturday.

We're getting rain here now through Wednesday night though not really too heavy. I'm sure there will be mud. Things don't dry up to quickly this time of year.

Disco96JSWB
12-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Jake and I will be there in his D2.
We will leave the LR3 at home in case my wife wants to go to the mall.

Frank84
12-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Jake and I will be there in his D2.
We will leave the LR3 at home in case my wife wants to go to the mall.

Tell her to watch out for the parking lot obstacles. They can be pretty tricky.

mlp141
12-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Hey Frank - what's the best way to get there from the shore? Parkway to 280 to 287?

mlp141
12-04-2015, 08:43 PM
I've been looking forward to this for weeks! Now I might be out. Well not me, my truck. Was loading her onto the trailer and something happened. I lost drive. Engine revved but nothing. I managed to get the truck off the trailer. It will drive in 4 high and low. Nothing in 2 hi. I guess that means a broken axle shaft in the rear?

jakeb44
12-06-2015, 08:25 PM
A special thanks to Frank for organizing an awesome event. It was a great weekend with great weather!

Here are a few photos -

https://goo.gl/photos/kMB7AnEd396qi3hu8

-Jake

mlp141
12-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Jake - nice photos. Made me sad looking at them though. As will hearing stories of the day. But please - fill me in.

Frank84
12-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Thanks for posting up the pictures Jake! It was a great day out in the woods with no major issues. Special thanks goes out to Bill Schofield for bringing all the heavy duty cutting equipment - we have a pile ready to pick up for next time already.

galen211
12-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Maybe the club needs to buy you guys an "off-road" trailer to haul more out. :)

Thanks to everyone for helping out, to me this is one of the most important events we have because it's giving back when off-roaders aren't always known as the best stewards. Thanks to Frank for the hard work to establish this and make it happen!