PDA

View Full Version : Dave McM shop day

rvrsrvc
03-19-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm up for one soon, maybe early April? There's heat in the garage, right Lyle?

billcooper
03-20-2016, 01:32 AM
Depending on the day I'm happy to come down. I'm fairly certain I can do either of the first two weekends in April.

Lyle4LClover
03-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Thank you Bill, yes, garage has heat, I'll bring the music, beer, brown water, pizza, etc!
I remember a quote re-quoted by Tom Bache once, I think around the time of the "build a Rover" time that said "Many hands make light work".
What may be overwhelming and insurmountable to one may be the easiest "I've done that before" task of another.
We will be around the weekend of April 9-10, 16-17, 23-24.
Thank you

billcooper
03-22-2016, 12:30 AM
Trevor - Which weekend works better for you?

billcooper
03-25-2016, 05:58 PM
I also just checked my parts, I have 4 injectors sitting here he can have.

devildog01
03-26-2016, 09:20 PM
I'm game.

Lyle4LClover
03-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys!
I told Dad to clean out around the G4 orange 109 with the Defender hinges full roof rack and spare tire holder that has been occupying the Lift for the past almost 10 years. He spent a day gathering stuff and relocating. Ever have one of those projects that was just that close but unattainable due to ......? I think we've all had one! I haven't told him I have a plan to help finish it yet. His biggest stumbling block is electrics. I call him David "Tesla" McMullan due to his uncanny ability to create sparks and let out factory installed smoke. He already purchased a new fuel rail, all four injectors, tank, hose, filter, everything, including frame! His biggest issue is the two man parts (Bleeding brakes, installing parking break, clutch slave bleeding) and the "damn Dash is torn apart". I think the electrics are the stumbling block.
If we can get this brightly colored Series off the lift we can all use it for our own projects again as needed, suspension lifts, upgrades, tire/wheel changes, frame changes, etc.
Someone with an electrical meter, a few hours, a little common sense, an electrical knowledge could probably have this running really good in no time at all.
My Dad spared no expense, everything is new, it just needs finished.
Help is appreciated!
Food and drink of your choice on me!

bossongs
03-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Lyle,

I can't make it down for the Trials due to a family event, but am definitely interested in chipping in on your dad's project. Let me know when you set a date.

I can definitely help with the electrical effort and love to tinker with diesels. I do have a bench tester for injectors, not sure you need that as it sounds like you have a new set and can help with the injection pump, etc if needed. I also have both a vacuum bleeder and a pressure bleeder (I find to be the better option on my Series) to help with the brakes and the clutch.

Steve B.

billcooper
03-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Do we have a date?

devildog01
03-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Yea???? Let's get this party started!!!!!!!!

Lyle4LClover
04-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Hello! Yes, sorry, been working nights.
Let's do the weekend April 16th & 17th.
It'll be one of the work days but if we get a jump start the weekend before on the first work weekend we'll be fine. I really appreciate the help! I'm sure my Dad will too.

bossongs
04-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Lyle,

I plan to come-up on the 17th and will bring the following:

1) my bleeder kits, fluid and tools for the brakes and clutch slave. Let me know if any parts/bits/lines are needed ..I'm happy to supply those, as well.
2) My multimeter and shoes with thick rubber soles for insulation while working on the electrical stuff!

It sounds like you have coverage on the injectors, etc.. ... I'll let others weigh in on what they plan to bring and we can sort out what we want to get completed and tools/parts needed to ensure we can get those things sorted out.

Steve B.

Lyle4LClover
04-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Hello Steve! Yes, David "Tesla" McMullan the electrical wiz he is is not allowed to hold AA batteries by the terminal ends for fear of electrocution! Electrical is his weakest point I think. With his work being about 25% electrical, (oil burners for home heating) I spend every chance I get helping him helping his customers instead of him on his projects. He will be 72 years old on May 5th this year. No plans for retirement, nor more education! Help is obviously appreciated. I'll be trail building the next few weekends so we have something fun to drive!
Thanks again, Lyle

Tom Bache
04-07-2016, 04:48 PM
So, is it for sure this Saturday April 9th?

Tom

Tom Bache
04-07-2016, 04:51 PM
OK, further reading and I see you are targeting the following weekend.

Thanks,

Tom

rvrsrvc
04-09-2016, 03:18 PM
I know I proposed early April and have managed to watch my availability evaporate. Motorweek is supposed to come on the 17th to film a 110 for a segment on old cars in modern times. It is weather dependent.
I'm a maybe for the 16th and the 17th

billcooper
04-09-2016, 11:21 PM
I know I have a definite commitment for the 16th (unless the weather is crappy, then I'm free), but will see about the 17th.

Steve Taylor
04-10-2016, 10:42 PM
We'll be there Friday night

billcooper
04-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Sorry to say, but won't be able to make it down this weekend.

Lyle - If you don't get your Dad's truck running this weekend, we can make a trip down after Robesonia.

Lyle4LClover
04-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Hello all! Work day on the old G4 orange 109 in Dads garage went well. We now realize a few things, first of all, the truck came with a Petrol 2.25 liter engine before being retrofitted with the Mercruiserover engine that is now in there. That led to other discoveries such s three different ways the truck had been started in its life, the typical push button on the bulkhead that feeds 12 volts directly to the motor, there was also a starter solenoid found on the bulkhead typical of later designs and furthermore a solenoid located on the starter motor itself! unfortunately, as this work had progressed, no one spent the time to remove the unneeded wiring and correctly add the necessary wiring. After much thought and consideration of those involved, it became apparent that the best thing to do at this point is to strip the wiring down completely. Much of the wires removed had nothing to do with its current needs. A start up was attempted with the discovery of an almost flat battery and a leaky water pump. Looks like proper wiring looms, a new water pump and a fresh battery should push this project forward again. In all this, we realized a lot of junk has accumulated around the Rover and has been cleaned up along with those certain things place in a special place for safekeeping so they don't get lost have gone and done so anyway. Thanks to those that helped on the 109 project so far, Steve, Liz, Tom (especially since he sourced and brought proper wiring diagram), Tom and others. We'll be tackling this again tomorrow and even more in a bit when all the new necessary wiring bits arrive, to see if we can get it running again.
Thank you

Steve Taylor
04-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks to those that helped on the 109 project so far, Steve, Liz, Tom (especially since he sourced and brought proper wiring diagram), Tom and others. We'll be tackling this again tomorrow and even more in a bit when all the new necessary wiring bits arrive, to see if we can get it running again.
Thank you

Most fun I've had with wire cutters for years. What a mess. Tom and I need to do repairs on the front loom too. And I am rebuilding the dash - is G4 orange a standard Krylon or Rustoleum colour by any chance ?

Steve

Lyle4LClover
04-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Hello all, another successful shop day! Thank you to Steve, and Steve, and Steve, and Tom and Fred. We were able to remove the leaking water pump, after removing all the bolts, it just didn't want to come off with one still installed. Go figure? We were also able to get the hydraulics sorted out. The clutch and brakes should be good to go once we are able to start moving. Again, thank you everyone, I will post again once we have gotten the right bits to go forward on the project.

galen211
04-18-2016, 10:10 AM
And I thought we had a lot of Trevor's....

Congrats and thanks to all of you!

Steve Taylor
11-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Made great progress with Tom on the Landy while the autumn bash raged. New looms EVERYwhere, dashboard rebuilt, mountings made for the front sidelights, because the ali's shot round them. Battery wires made up. Everything looking great for a December run up.