PDA

View Full Version : Spring Robesonia Trials 2017 official thread

Lyle4LClover
02-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone!
Due to a trip my wife and I are making to Moab to go offroading (don't be jealous!) this early Spring the dates for the Spring Trials will be as follows:
Work Days: April 15th & 16th
Work Days April 22nd & 23rd (Yes that's Easter, I'll be in the woods after church and a good meal)

Event days April 29th & 30th.

I know it's a little later than normal but it may be nice to wheel when there is foliage on the trees.
I hope everyone can make it out for a day or weekend, always a good time. Plan on running some of the Fall trails backwards this event! That will be interesting.

My Dads 109 project is also pretty much where it was left in Fall as he's been having problems with his knees and not quite as spry as he was a few decades ago. Would still love to see a diesel 109 make it down to Tony's for a lunch run!

Also, if you're in your calendar please mark down July 15th and 16th as the official "Robesonia Red Raspberry Rover Run". This appears to be about the peak time for the local raspberries. We'll do camping and raspberry picking along with culinary treats centered around the delicious raspberry. Maybe some vanilla ice cream and such too. Still working on the details on this one, open for input.

Thanks!
Lyle

ollietruck
02-02-2017, 02:27 PM
I now live closer so I am looking forward to being able to help with a work day on the 109. Let me know when. Also love the raspberry run idea!

TJ91SurfTDi
02-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Hey Everyone,

As a new member to the Defender and R.O.V.E.R.S community I looking for a little more information. Coming out of Philadelphia I'm looking to map out the trip. Could someone share the exact location of this event? Addiotnally some of the particulars. Agenda, Accommodations (I love to camp), Etc. I recently imported a 1991 RHD D90. It clearly needs work so Im not 100% sure it is trail ready. Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

TJ

galen211
02-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Hey TJ,

The physical address is 101 East Mountain Ave. Robesonia, PA.

There really isn't an agenda per se, we try to start by 9 a.m. each day and the event is all held on the property. The trials is an event where you drive through gates trying to avoid hitting them, similar to downhill slalom skiing, except there's big rocks and trees. :) It's a perfect event to participate and spectate at the same time.

We camp on the property at the top of the hill, find a spot and set-up. We have a large fire ring and most people just bring food and share what they have. Most people roll in Friday evening.

The cost is $25 per driver/vehicle with $5 for each additional person. We usually have a raffle and prizes so you can usually make back your entrance fee.

What else do you want to know? Ask away. :)

TJ91SurfTDi
02-09-2017, 12:00 PM
That is exactly what I needed.

Best TJ

Lyle4LClover
02-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Bunch of my neighbors came out last weekend and completed a trail from my back yard over to the pines then up an impossible hill climb (if it's raining) and Tee'd off to a trail that leads over to where Rob broke his tie rod. It is now a complete loop on previously untraveled terrain. Should be fun! As for the lower 11 acre playground below my Dad's property, they are logging it shortly and it may be impassible for the Spring event. We'll have to see how much cleanup they do. Not a big deal, we'll make more trails behind my house until we get that area cleaned up. There is a gully that runs parallel to one of the trails behind my house that I'm sure I could get a locked truck on 35's stuck for a while! For the work weekends, if your'e not into a walkabout in the woods with a chainsaw to clear trails, my father is still looking for some help on his 109 project. He's very close. It turns over, but not fast enough to fire off the diesel. If anyone is mechanically inclined, I'm sure he'd be appreciative of the help! Work days are also camping days if you need to get away for a weekend. We have free primitive camping with the deer on top of the mountain. All are welcome!
Lyle

pushngo
03-23-2017, 03:16 PM
So is it locked in for the 29/30 weekend?

It works as it is the week after Scarr but it is the same weekend as the Icebreaker which I would miss to do Robesonia just asking

galen211
03-23-2017, 04:36 PM
What's the Icebreaker?

Turns out I can't make this weekend either now, but pretty sure it's locked since we have communicated it in a lot of places.

pushngo
03-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Icebreaker is a Big Dogs event at the Cove

pushngo
03-25-2017, 08:40 AM
That's the wifes Birthday too I may be iffy

ollietruck
04-02-2017, 09:51 AM
So it looks like I won't be able to make it to the event but still want to help with the workday on the 22nd. Lyle, is it alright if the boy and I camp Friday night into that saturday?

Steve Taylor
04-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Hey Lyle,
I keep saying I'll be there for your dad's truck !

Steve

Lyle4LClover
04-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Had a good work day. Thanks to everyone that came out to help, Steve, Stephen, Steve, Liz, Jeff, Shea, Tom.
We have 5 sections completed so far. One brand new area we've never used before too. We only have 5 more sections to make for the event.
Remember, free primitive camping, free firewood! Come on up this weekend. Might do a night run if there is interest.
Have to put my Rover back together, had a little issue with the brown muddy water trying to lubricate the front wheel bearings. Thanks to everyone for helping scold me for only checking my bearings every 17 years. Always a good time!
Thanks again, Lyle

TJ91SurfTDi
04-19-2017, 09:06 AM
I'm planning to join you guys this weekend to help with the clean up. What time will you be getting started on Saturday and Sunday this weekend?

I also wanted to confirm this is the best place to meet at that time?
101 East Mountain Ave. Robesonia, PA.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone this weekend.
TJ

TJ91SurfTDi
04-19-2017, 09:14 AM
I'm planning to join you guys this weekend to help with the clean up. What time will you be getting started on Saturday and Sunday this weekend?

I also wanted to confirm this is the best place to meet at that time?
101 East Mountain Ave. Robesonia, PA.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone this weekend.
TJ

Lyle4LClover
04-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Hello TJ, we'll be starting at 9:00 both days and the address you listed will get you here. If you have any questions or problems you can always text or call me at 484-357-9058.
Thanks and hope to see you here!
Lyle

billcooper
04-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Testing the new trail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DdFb4fYJDM

Lyle4LClover
04-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone, thanks to some good help this weekend all the trails are set! I was happy to see some new faces at setup along with the regulars. We ended up with 11 sections. Really counted 10 all day but then wrote them all down and found there were 11. Hmmmm. Anyway, we have several new trails in sections we haven't used before and some that we've either turned around and made them completely backwards or changed them in fun ways. We have some mud (provided we don't have a drought this week) and of course the rocks! We have firewood for a campfire already to go. Everyone is more than welcome to come up early and camp for the weekend. Porto Potty was called in today and we'll take it up to the campground for the weekend. The apartment will be open this weekend, RSVP now if you like to "camp" in a little more creature comfort. Well behaved children and dogs are always welcome, leash as necessary. Please let me know if you have any questions and hope to see you here!

pushngo
04-26-2017, 04:09 PM
So what's the schedule going to be Novice one day and the rest Sunday or everybody both days?

Just trying to see if I can shoot home for the wife's birthday for a few minutes

Lyle4LClover
05-01-2017, 06:54 AM
Thank you everyone! I hope everyone else had fun, I know I did! Congratulations to Randy for a good win. Everyone did great as there were some very difficult trails this event. It was great to see some familiar faces and meet some new people too. I need to get Galen in touch with two people for membership yet, the family with the bugeye from Whalusa (SP) PA and Rich from E-town PA. We ended up with a few leftover items after the event, no children, pets or Rovers, just some camping/cooking items. Will post when I get home from work.
Thanks again everyone for your support on work and event days!
Lyle

Lyle4LClover
05-01-2017, 08:50 PM
What do you have? Anything digital to upload to the site? There's gotta be some pics at least. Who's got footage of the ridge?
There was more than one truck in a precarious position up there.
Share!
Lyle

billcooper
05-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Only had time for a few video's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dlmd10vcw