PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent starting.

Steve Taylor
04-24-2017, 09:07 PM
On the very EDGE of being able to take the damned D1 to inspection we hit this weird problem when it won't always start. Starts on the first pull sometimes, in fact, just as we put a new battery in it. 10 minutes later, nada, all yesterday afternoon, nada. This evening nada. Offspring tries, worked first time, second and third time. I come home, nothing.

The non NAS spec versions of the later D1 (1997) didn't have the same immobiliser as the faulty UK ones - so what gives ? Any ideas ? Its booked in for inspection on Wednesday !!!

Thanks for any tips.
Steve

Tom109
04-25-2017, 10:21 PM
When you changed the ignition key switch, did you reuse the electrical switch from the old (original) key switch? Sound to me like that could be the fault.

Frank84
04-26-2017, 08:58 AM
I had a bad starter relay at one point that would give intermittent issues like that. To rule out the electrical system from the starter itself, can you try crossing the terminals on the starter next time you have the issue? Without a heat shield on the starter, access is really easy. If you have a heat shield still then it is hard to get in there. I found an adjustable wrench opened to the match the distance between the two terminals was the easiest way to jump it.

Steve Taylor
04-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Its CRANKING fine, just not running. Except yesterday it was starting like a thoroughbred.
I HATE intermittent faults.

Steve Taylor
04-26-2017, 02:54 PM
When you changed the ignition key switch, did you reuse the electrical switch from the old (original) key switch? Sound to me like that could be the fault.

No, we used the new switch too.

Tom109
04-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Its CRANKING fine, just not running.

So, does "running" = "starting"? In example, it cranks but just won't start (run)?

Steve Taylor
04-26-2017, 10:21 PM
So, does "running" = "starting"? In example, it cranks but just won't start (run)?

running=starting. Its always cranked, but not always starting. Except for the last two days its been OK

Tom109
05-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Steve,

With a GEMS engine, I have only experienced stalling and difficult starts related to the IACV. Once replaced and base idler reset, the problem was sorted. Sorry I can't be much more help than check for Air/Fuel/Spark.

With the 14cux system I've had to dig a LOT deeper!

Steve Taylor
07-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Turns out to be the immobiliser box, the 10AS module in the passenger doorpost. The fix is to send it to a nice man in Germany who can create a replacement unit.

Disco96JSWB
07-09-2018, 03:42 PM
My 96 D1 always (from new) would sometimes not start (ie, crank but not run). It might have happened once every other month for the 18+ years I owned it. I'd pull the key, try again and it'd start right up.

You didn't really need to send the immobilizer to Germany, did you?

JonT111
08-03-2018, 08:22 PM
We knew it was the box as when we disconnected it for a few minutes and reconnected the 10AS box it would start again no problem.