PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

Disco96JSWB
03-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Now that we learned that Facebook may potentially have (privacy) weaknesses, should we find a better place to communicate about club news and events? Maybe set up a page on Myspace? Or all buy CB radios and talk on channel 19?

galen211
03-27-2018, 03:51 PM
I wish the forum had better use. Have racked my brains about communication and how to get better results. I send out a group email and never get feedback. The forum has about 3-4 users. Our webpage is old and shows Robesonia from years ago as the next event.

I'd love to have a full leadership team to help. Feel like all I've done the past couple years is keep things status quo. We could be a better club with some resources.

Sorry, not catching me on my best day, work is making me extra grouchy...

For the record I hate FB. Wouldn't even touch it if it weren't for the club.

jakeb44
03-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Or all buy CB radios and talk on channel 19?

There's probably an app for that.

Steve Taylor
03-27-2018, 10:27 PM
I wish the forum had better use. Have racked my brains about communication and how to get better results. I send out a group email and never get feedback. The forum has about 3-4 users. Our webpage is old and shows Robesonia from years ago as the next event.

I'd love to have a full leadership team to help. Feel like all I've done the past couple years is keep things status quo. We could be a better club with some resources.

Ping me if I can be of any help. I don't, and refuse, to use Facebook, and use script blockers on any webbrowser, to stop Facebook looking at everything - its amazing how many sites use it for some sort of user admin.

For the record, I don't think I've ever seen a group email from you. Is the system working ?

Steve

Steve Taylor
03-27-2018, 10:30 PM
Now that we learned that Facebook may potentially have (privacy) weaknesses, should we find a better place to communicate about club news and events? Maybe set up a page on Myspace? Or all buy CB radios and talk on channel 19?

Frankly, some of us have known this for years, and don't use FB or allow some of the shadier Google services access to our computers. There is no "potentially" about it, FB is a massive data security hole.

If people knew about it, then this forum seems to me to be a great "better place to communicate about club news and events". Its ours, it seems to do nothing it shouldn't do, and there's lots of space.

billcooper
03-28-2018, 12:03 AM
Steve - Drop me a PM with your email and I will make sure you are on the list.

galen211
03-28-2018, 08:09 AM
I miss the days when this many people responded to a thread. At least I know there's a couple of you out there. :)

Tom109
03-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Yeah, no & never to FB for me as well and a big YES to blockers.

I only ever get Club info from this site or Galen's e-mails.

Disco96JSWB
03-28-2018, 12:11 PM
In the initial post the idea was absolutely not intended to be critical of anything other than Facebook, specifically regarding the potential privacy breaches . . .

The R.O.V.E.R.S. forum serves a useful purpose in my view.

We had a great turnout for Spruce Cabin (nice article and pictures in Alloy & Grit magazine too).
We have Robesonia coming up.
A few of us are going to drive some roads around State College in May.
We have the picnic in July.
Then no doubt we'll have Fall Robesonia.

It's all good!

galen211
03-28-2018, 02:27 PM
I know you weren't being critical. I just get frustrated about how much more organized I could be.

The truth is our turnout at Robesonia is directly related to FB.

SCC and others are either me texting/emailing lots of people or this forum. SCC is usually 3/4 full before the date is announced!

kun109
03-29-2018, 02:42 PM
So, years of procrastination have finally been a benefit to me!

Disco96JSWB
04-12-2018, 10:20 AM
So, years of procrastination have finally been a benefit to me!

Never do something today that can be put off until tomorrow . . .

mpruiks
04-15-2018, 05:31 PM

We use the app "GroupMe" for the fire dept. kinda like the FB messenger app. Just a thought.
Im always check in on all the forums at least once a day just never post to much.... in fact this might be my first one.. LOL