PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood, NJ - July 15th

Frank84
06-04-2006, 08:14 PM
July 15th (16th is raindate): 9am - 4ish

We're having another trip to Ringwood State Park (North Jersey) to continue maintenance work on the trail system up there. We've got a pile of junk deep in the woods to remove from last time in the morning and then we'll hit up a new trail in the afternoon. Stock rovers should be fine, but the afternoon run will be a little more challenging then in the past. Bring lunch, lots to drink, and work gloves. To sign up and get directions or for any questions email me at fbatters@stevens.edu

- Frank Battersby

jason
06-05-2006, 11:18 PM
I'll be there with my Defender 130 pick-up. It now has a Ford F-250 cab, bed, engine, drivetrain, wheels, and axles, but it leaks random fluids just the same.:D

Frank84
06-05-2006, 11:51 PM
We'll have to put those mods on your defender to the test. Don't forget the straps because we've got to move that load from last time - i'll bring some rope.

Paul coming? Tell him to bring the rangie if it's running for the afternoon trail - should be enjoyable if i can get time to clip it back before the trip. The 130 may be a bit large for the afternoon trail - i don't think a vehicle has driven it for 10+ years (maybe never) - mother nature has tried to reclaim her lost territory.

My suzuki has been pretending to be a land rover lately as well. The steering column froze ($$$) and now the horn doesn't work, the air bag light is on, and the 4WD front axle pneumatic actuator decided it would rather take a nap than be put to work. The transmission also leaks a little and first gear requires double clutching above idle speed - this is an '01! The rover (the disco not the freelander) hasn't had any NEW problems in over a year on the other hand - go figure.

jason
06-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I hope your Disco doesn't read your last post. The kiss of death is saying "there haven't been any new problems", or "my truck is running GREAT!"

cboy
06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
I would like to join this cleanup if there's still room. I've done it once before last year with Ryan M. and a few of the others guys.

thanks,
.eric

Frank84
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Sure thing Eric. I'll put you on the list. We'll meet at my house again at 9am. Address is 37 Wanaque Terrace in Ringwood, NJ. If you're running late call me at home 973-962-4729 so we know to wait.

jason
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Eric, since you live around the corner from me, you can either ride with me or follow me there.

Alvin
06-09-2006, 07:40 AM
I wish I could join you guys, but the mods I put on my Disco make it much more like a Mazda Millenia than anything else and I am not sure it could make it offroad. Seriously, I have bought an engine for the disco and I am in the process of rebuilding it. There is a possibility that the engine would be ready and installed by the 15th. If it is, I hope I can get a spot on this trail ride/cleanup.

Frank84
06-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Good luck with the engine swap - that's a big job! If you get it done in time come to Ringwood - there should be room for one more.

cboy
06-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Eric, since you live around the corner from me, you can either ride with me or follow me there.

Sounds good. I'll follow you up.

Alvin! When are we doing you enigne swap??:D I'm free Saturdays in July.

Alvin
06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
The pistons are cleaned and polished, and so are the heads. I am getting the block dipped and magnafluxed this weekend, along with the crank re-ground. Also, I am ordering the gaskets, bearings, seals, and everything else tomorrow. So they should be here by the weekend. Hopefully I'll start assembling by this Sunday and should have it together by next week. So it could be around 2 to 3 more weeks for the install. I'll keep everyone posted, and anyone who wants to drop by and help (or just watch) is more than welcome. We'll have BBQ that weekend. It'll be something like a shop day. I'll post the details when we are almost ready.

Jarek M
07-02-2006, 05:36 PM
U guys have space for one more. I like to go. :o

Jarek M
07-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Cancel the last post, I just got reminded that on the 15th, I have to usher on my friends weding #@#$$@!!!

Frank84
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
was away for the long weekend - maybe the next one will work out for you

jason
07-14-2006, 09:49 PM
I just broke the rear right spring on the F-250, the rear is leaking pretty good now, and it's been overheating the last couple of days. Ready for Ringwood!:D Eric, I'll e-mail you my phone # and we can meet up in the morning, if you would like to follow me.

Frank84
07-14-2006, 10:52 PM
despite the 90 degree weather, i guess you'll be running the heater tomorrow!

just biked the trails this evening - morning run should be cake but the afternoon...

Frank84
07-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Despite the fact that 95% of the time was spent driving, we still managed to pull a volkswagon, a toyota, a tailgate, cooler, toilet, and four bags of trash and bottles! Much thanks goes to Chris for the extensive use of his winch and a round of applause to Eric for being the only one to not need it. However, the award for most daring goes to Jim for taking a new LR3 and actually using it for its intended purpose.

jason
07-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I have to agree that the LR3 was most impressive. Seeing it perform the way the engineers intended was very reassuring to me that Land Rover still has off-road capability as a major priority in it's design philosophy.