PDA

View Full Version : starter trouble

Jarek M
06-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm changing a 3rd starter in my 95' Disco. The problem is always rusted inside drum with gear not retracting all the way back. I do like mudd and water and I live down the shore.

If any ideas on how to prologne a life of a starter?? For instance packing a new one with grease on the inside before installing and siliconing all the seams, does that sound like a good idea or am I going to waste my time on this.

I got to do something each started lasts give or take 4 months. :confused:

JohnC
06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
The problem is that that's not mud in the Pine Barrens, it's sand and water. I would strongly recommend you stay away from that stuff 'cause it gets into your brake pistons, CVs and every little orifice on your truck.

You can try getting a MG starter but I don't think it will resolve your issue. Get in touch with Garrett on this board for more info on the MG starters, I get my alternators from him.

Good luck.

rvrsrvc
07-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I've used a few Mean Green startes with varying success. My Disco sits for weeks at a time and always starts no matter what.. Tyler K used his everyday and would fail whenever the weather got cold. On two MG units!

The worst sand episode i ever had was a rear crankshaft seal after a particularly wet and sandy stuck at Rausch. The bell housing was full of the abrasive and it had made it's way into the end of the crank (and probably the engine as well!)

Trevor