PDA

View Full Version : Trail Database

tightlines
10-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey Guys,
Wondering what you all think about trying to collect a database of local trails and contacts for trail access. I know of some quality spots in Vermont and New Jersey and hope that if we get everyone on board it would give all of us an opportunity to explore some great new places, have some hysterical times, and get our trucks nice and dirty.
-J

galen211
10-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Sounds good to me!

sven
10-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I know of some in central PA and upstate NY. I even know of some lame ones in Long Island :p

tightlines
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I am not sure who the admin of this forum is but I think we would need to put aside a spot on the website for people to post the locations. Maybe just a database by state and then broken into regions ie. Northern New Jersey...just a thought...lets give it a few more days to guage the response before we start sharing...there needs to be some level of reciprocity on this.
-J

bens101fc
10-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Jersey would be good. The only legal place that I know is the Pine Barrens and that's 1.5 hours away.

Thinkin of Jersey, a fellow Series LRO from Bridgewater and a one with a Lightweight she found in Lebanon and I got together Friday night to chat and kick the tires. We thought that it might be good to have a regular NJ gathering of members. Or at least the 3 of us and anyone else that we could scrounge up.

Ben

tightlines
10-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm game, let me know when and I'll be there.

Frank84
10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
this sounds like a good idea - but for jersey i only know of the pine barrens being open to the public

some of the shore towns will let you ride on the beach during certain times of the year if you're going fishing - but it's not worth the drive

through the club though you get access to some other places (both public and private) at the events - the Northeast is very limited

Frank84
10-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Jay - I just noticed you're in Hoboken - I'm in school at Stevens! Ringwood is home.

tightlines
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Frank,
Yup...good old Hoboken! I've been here for three years now after a stint up in Vermont but I am originally from Chatham. I'll keep my eyes open for your truck.
Jersey isn't the best but I do have some access to some private property and I am sure that I could get a few more in. My family also has about 400 acres in southern Vermont covered with logging trails, so thats always fun.
-J

mlp141
10-03-2006, 10:09 PM
This is a fantastic idea. We just need to come up with an easy to use/read format. Sean -- any ideas?

crazyfish
10-03-2006, 11:19 PM
i'll set up a new category when I get back from MAR and we'll let it run a bit an reformat as needed.

bens101fc
10-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Chatham? Ack! I went to HS in Chatham and my parents are still there.

As for off-roading, I've got a short trail on my property in Readington (12 acres). Mostly tight through the trees with some short climbs and drops. Maybe 1/4 mile long so it's not exceedingly interesting after the first lap or two. (Though a Jeep got badly stuck going downhill on a stump one night).

All of the Township owned open space might have some fun trails, but use of cars on that land is prohibited by law. Too bad I don't have the $$$ to buy land before the Town can.

As for a NJ meeting place, let's aim for sometime at the end of October. Let me poke around and see what looks good. The ice cream place will start having shorter hours soon. Maybe a diner on US 22.

Ben

rmuller
10-04-2006, 12:23 AM
we've been doing a few informal gatherings over the past few months.. just like a once a month thing.. mostly they have been in northern jersey at a Hooters or similar... have had anywhere from like 2-10 trucks show up..

solihull109
10-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Greetings,

pardon me for sticking my nose in, but I'm located in Williamsport Pa, and have access to outstanding trails, approx. acreage unknown but it's over 30,000. Yes it's private, but I'm a member and have keys and the such. There is an area of concern, these trails are NOT for stock trucks. I'm a Rover fanatic and only drive Rovers, but stock WILL NOT make it through without SERIOUS damage.
I'm in a R.R.C. with 3" lift, custom drop kit, gears, winch and lockers. I instruct off road driving classes and this is SERIOUS terrain.
Now, with that out of the way, the trails are a BLAST. You can ride all weekend and never cross the same path, come back next weekend and still never cross paths. There is camping provisions and the cabin is open during off season. We do have a rule, no group is less than 3 trucks and not more than 8. If we have 15 people then we split groups, we keep it simple. There is wildlife, even though the game commission denies this, we have seen mountain lions in the area, this place is remote, so kids are always welcome, but keep them close. If anyone has interest please feel free to contact me at solihull109@yahoo.com.
For the really sick individuals, we have 350 acreas that is devoted to nasty hardcore terrain. The local jeep club showed up one weekend and they turned right around-they were all shod in at least 35" tyres and the trucks were built ! This place is scary, YOU WILL break equipment, but to master this stuff is awesome----just food for thought. Hope to see you guys soon.

Carey

sven
10-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Um wow! We'll have to meet up sometime. Im in State College, about an hour from Williamsport. I have a RRC with 3" lift, etc...and Im not scared to use it:p

Peter
10-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Greetings,

pardon me for sticking my nose in, but I'm located in Williamsport Pa, and have access to outstanding trails, approx. acreage unknown but it's over 30,000. Yes it's private, but I'm a member and have keys and the such. There is an area of concern, these trails are NOT for stock trucks. I'm a Rover fanatic and only drive Rovers, but stock WILL NOT make it through without SERIOUS damage.
I'm in a R.R.C. with 3" lift, custom drop kit, gears, winch and lockers. I instruct off road driving classes and this is SERIOUS terrain.
Now, with that out of the way, the trails are a BLAST. You can ride all weekend and never cross the same path, come back next weekend and still never cross paths. There is camping provisions and the cabin is open during off season. We do have a rule, no group is less than 3 trucks and not more than 8. If we have 15 people then we split groups, we keep it simple. There is wildlife, even though the game commission denies this, we have seen mountain lions in the area, this place is remote, so kids are always welcome, but keep them close. If anyone has interest please feel free to contact me at solihull109@yahoo.com.
For the really sick individuals, we have 350 acreas that is devoted to nasty hardcore terrain. The local jeep club showed up one weekend and they turned right around-they were all shod in at least 35" tyres and the trucks were built ! This place is scary, YOU WILL break equipment, but to master this stuff is awesome----just food for thought. Hope to see you guys soon.

Carey

Places like that only exist in my dreams.

bens101fc
10-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I had heard of the Hooters meeting. However my wife is not interested in going to Hooters nor is a female LRO in the area. I had heard that your group was unwiling to move the venue from Hooters, hence we decided to start our own thing.

Ben

tightlines
10-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Well I am glad to see that this thread helped to get some of us motivated. Regarding the nasty stuff...My D90 has a three inch lift, winch, rocksliders skid plates and diff guards plus a bunch of other goodies, my RR Calssic is set up the same way. I don't have lockers on either of them but am considering them on the D90. I hope we can get a good gathering of us all together soon.

tightlines
10-04-2006, 06:03 PM
BTW...crazy fish...thanks for offering to put some space aside for this.

tightlines
10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Ben...I know you miss Chatham...number 5 on the most desireable towns to live in the US. I am the youngest of 5 to go through Chatham High...I somehow was able to avoid Delbarton...not that I have anything against it though...it just seems that all my buddies ended up there.

bens101fc
10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
I lived closer to the the boro center (Lafayette Ave) so living on smaller plots didn't appeal to me. I hit at one of the odd years. We moved in summer before Jr. year, so I spent one year that the Boro HS. Then boro and twp merged schools, so my last year was up at the new HS (old Twp HS).

When I moved back to the area in 2001, Chatham was great for commuting into NYC on the train.

As for trucks, mine are mostly stock. 88 with 32" MTs. Disco with 2" lift on the same. 101s are standard on 36", but I have MTs instead of the bar grips. All are open diff. This property sounds interesting. I've driven some harder trails out in Calif, and some in Moab, but not the Rubicon in the 88. The PA land sounds interesting. My wife's family has 250 acres near Tioga, PA that I'd like to cut some trails (other than some old logging roads) one of these years.

Ben

Ben

jason
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
As far as getting together in New Jersey, since there are 39 members in our wonderful state, it shouldn't be too tough to get a small group to materialize. Too bad the summer is over, because a Friday night in Somerville would be perfect. Tons of car clubs and motorheads line main street with hot rods, classic cars, trucks and everything else. Good times!