PDA

View Full Version : OK, so it's sitting in the driveway!

mlp141
10-09-2006, 09:19 PM
OK, my 65 IIa is sitting in my driveway -- after a lengthy trip east from Iowa.

Anyway, there's plenty of work to be done. Plenty. Mission one is to get her to run. So, I have a few major questions:

I want new spark plugs in there ASAP. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive -- really just something to get her going. Suggestions?

Also need a battery. Not planning on going Optima or anything right now -- money is a bit low already :o . What are my battery options? Again, suggestions are welcomed.

I checked the stick when she got here and the oil looks like BLACK INK. Liquidy, but dark as hell. The oil will be changed before I do anything else. I've already bought the oil filter spin-on converter and will get the oil out of there as soon as I can. I have that pretty well situated, but is there anything I need to know before I dive into that.

Then I plan to drain the fuel tank and add some fresh regular unleaded. Once I deal with the fuel, change the oil and spark plugs and add a battery, I should be ready to TRY and start her -- right?

Peter
10-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Congratulations!

crazyfish
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Congrats, the adventure begins.

drain the entire fuel line including the fuel pump bowl. Ask peter how much crap can build up in there.
check the wiring for smoke, don't let it out. Genuine Lucas smoke is hard to find and expensive.
Before you start it check the lights, the brake lights, wipers etc looking for bad wiring and grounds
check to see if it is neg or pos ground, I once forgot.....
try and hand crank it - not to start, just to see the pressure
really really make sure it is out of gear
get a good distributor, you are going to need one any way

and most important
add all the series guys cellphone numbers into speed dial.

bens101fc
10-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Spark plugs: Champion N-12Y for SIII 8:1 heads, N-5 for 7:1 SIIA heads, and N-9Y for 8:1 SIIA heads. For some reason I have 11Y in, but that could be what the 101 is supposed to use and I mixed up the boxes.

Batteries: Series size is 27F. I currently use what I can get at BJs. In the
past I've used Sears Die-hards. Go to whatever is local and use that.

Ben

LC Rover
10-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Michael:
First thing I did, drop the oil pan and got all the sludge out. Change the filter, give it a hand crank to make sure oil is being pumped throughout the motor.(Take the valve cover off and see if the oil is making up to that point). Do what you have to do to get the motor to run. Change the oil a couple of times after that( use el-cheapo oil the first few times, then the good brand). That should keep you busy for a while. Keep coming back and asking for advice. Tell Crazy to e-mail you, his phone list.

LC Rover

mlp141
10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Anyone buy this kit? I need new plugs, wires et al and this seems pretty fair. Thoughts?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/3170.cfm

crazyfish
10-10-2006, 11:59 AM
pictures! pictures!

get to know george at rovers down south, forget the other suppliers.

Peter
10-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I recently installed a Ducellier (at a car show) and I really like it. I think I bought it from RDS or Wise Owl.

Another bit of advice-memorize George's phone number and leave a credit card on file. It makes life easier.

galen211
10-10-2006, 01:24 PM
pictures! pictures!

get to know george at rovers down south, forget the other suppliers.

Are his prices that much better? I never got the impression they are and I've heard he's a little weird to deal with.

Peter
10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Are his prices that much better? I never got the impression they are and I've heard he's a little weird to deal with.

Eccentric, not weird. He knows Series really well and is always willing to spend time helping. I have called him, wrench in hand and completely confused and he has talked me through the process. His prices are right inline with everyone else and sometimes he has used parts at great prices.

That is why I use him.

galen211
10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Sounds good, I think I am going to try him for the parts my newly acquired hoop set is missing.

Peter
10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
BTW-Happy Birthday

crazyfish
10-10-2006, 10:19 PM
damn 31! Happy birthday!

crazyfish
10-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I recently installed a Ducellier (at a car show) and I really like it. I think I bought it from RDS or Wise Owl.

lol we are sitting around at a local british car show, bored to tears. Ours our dirty, dented and full of gear. Peter pulls out the distributor and we all gather round to abuse him as he installs it. bonnet off, wd-40 every where, greasy guys, it was funny.

galen211
10-11-2006, 09:20 AM
BTW-Happy Birthday

thanks guys, as a birthday present I got to go pick up my mother in law an hour and a half away. I was promised some rover parts in payment though.

jason
10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Happy birthday!

Before I start gluing Land Rover emblems on my Crown Vic, perhaps I should give George a call. Sean, how 'bout it? The furthest I've gotten with my '69 is new plugs, oil, fuel, and battery as well. Haven't gotten it started yet, though. I would love to have at least one Rover back on the road in time for Robesonia.

crazyfish
11-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, have either of you two gotten something running?

You haven't seen any yellow series parts for sale cheap lately have you?

mlp141
11-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Not yet -- I'm waiting to install my new gastank before I put fuel into the system. It should be running the Sunday after Robesonia (well, maybe).

Fuel aside (and the yet to be reassembled gear shift lever) she's in good shape -- fresh oil, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condensor.

galen211
11-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Batteries: Series size is 27F. I currently use what I can get at BJs. In the
past I've used Sears Die-hards. Go to whatever is local and use that.

Ben

Ben,

Is 27F correct? I went to NAPA last night to get a new battery and the 27F is 12-1/2" long and the plastic tray that sits in the battery holder is only 12" long.

I guess my question is, should my truck have a plastic tray that sits down inside the battery cage?

bens101fc
11-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Ben,

Is 27F correct? I went to NAPA last night to get a new battery and the 27F is 12-1/2" long and the plastic tray that sits in the battery holder is only 12" long.

I guess my question is, should my truck have a plastic tray that sits down inside the battery cage?

Ummm, plastic tray? (For 12v trucks) The battery sites on top of a metal stand with a metal surround that also includes the oil bath air cleaner mount. Sometimes the 27F might have ears coming off of the battery that are a few mm too long and I've shaved them. For a battery tiedown I've used whatever I've found at Pep Boys, etc. Usually it is a rod that hooks into the metal surround and has a top clamp that goes on top of the battery and connects to these rods.

I've always used the 27F in Dora. For the 24v trucks I think a type 24 is what fits. In general use whatever fits. In general you want the battery posts to be towards the inside of the engine and not on the wing side and
you want the ground post forward (this the difference between the 27 and 27F--the order of the posts). This way you are not wrenching on the hot lead close to a grounding surface like the breakfast.

Ben

galen211
11-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Mine has the metal surround that is part of the oil bath mount, but sitting down inside of that surround is a plastic tray. I'm guessing this tray is the non-standard part. Mine also has a tie down over the top that is hinged and connects to a threaded rod with a wing nut.

I was alarmed at first becuase the first time I saw the 27F it is a big battery, bigger than the 24 used on the newer trucks. Just seemed strange that the little 4 banger needed such a large hefty battery. At NAPA there is not much difference in price between the two and the CCA and recycle times are all the same. So I guess it comes down to me either tossing the plastic tray or leaving it under the battery.

mlp141
11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
G -- I got the 24 and it fits fine. My battery tray would probably accept something bigger, but the 24 takes up most of the tray.

GrFa
12-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Good to know either the 24 or 27 will fit, hopefully I am going to be needing a battery soon. I saw some of your other posts, I bought a similar IIA (except a little newer, 71) to yours last fall, paid $750 and picked it up myself.

Long story short, it is still not on the road. It sat outside down in the Barnegat area for 7 years (rusted through front frame horns and a blown rear axle). Then it sat in a garage in NY for three years. Now its been in my possesion for a year and a half. First thing I did was plugs, wires, condensor, rotor, points, etc. and got it running which was a few months after I got it.

Up to this point I have replaced: the chassis with a new galvanized (went to Maine to get it second hand new), new radiator support, bulkhead completely rebuilt with all glavanized panels, axles rebuilt with all new parts, good used door tops and bottoms, all new hydraulics, blasted and painted 16" wheels and tires, all wiring in the truck replaced.

The only major items which haven't been replaced are the engine and transmission (pretty sure the transmission is toast). It is currently at a Rover shop in NY state getting wired up and having the bulkhead, body, doors, etc. aligned. Lets say I have a lot more money in it then a 20yo college student wants invested in a toy.

If I get it together I will have it down at the Jersey shore for the summer, family has a house down there. Good luck with yours!

crazyfish
12-15-2006, 12:57 AM
damn dude, call a shop day, have a BBQ and get this cranked out! It's amazing what Series guys will do for a six pack or food!

Peter
12-15-2006, 10:56 AM
I will have it down at the Jersey shore for the summer, family has a house down there.

I'm in OCNJ-Where are you?

kirkt
12-15-2006, 02:47 PM
damn dude, call a shop day, have a BBQ and get this cranked out! It's amazing what Series guys will do for a six pack or food!

For example:

http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2172#post2172

let's get the deal done! - I am looking at the same basic "assess and tune" type issues. Congrats on the Series - come join the fun during the holiday break.

GrFa
12-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm in OCNJ-Where are you?

Ocean Beach, quite a ways north.

mlp141
12-15-2006, 11:24 PM
"It sat outside down in the Barnegat area for 7 years..."

Barnegat area? I grew up in and live in Barnegat. Where (and from whom) did you get it?

Also, where is the family house on the Jersey shore?