PDA

View Full Version : Need a good screw!

mlp141
10-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone have a spare locating pin for the gear shift ball? I need one -- my lever is all out of whack :(

mlp141
10-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Anyone? I'd hat to pay AB $3 for the screw and probably another $3 for shipping!

galen211
10-26-2006, 03:07 AM
When the same thing happened to me I just took out my coffee can of nuts and bolts and tried the ones that looked about right for the hole. I had one that worked.

I know you gotta have a coffee can of nuts and bolts somewhere, everybody who works on things has one or two.

mlp141
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
G -- I have tons of misc. stuff. Give me a description of what worked for you.

galen211
10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
G -- I have tons of misc. stuff. Give me a description of what worked for you.

I had a socket head bolt that did the trick. Fine thread, no idea what the size was I just kept trying different ones till something fit.

mlp141
10-27-2006, 05:28 AM
I suppose that I've just had one true Series moment. I was home on a half-day today because I have to go back to school tonight for parent-teacher conferences, so i figured I'd mess with the truck some.

Honestly, I thought that I'd just hop outside, rattle through some old screws and get the gear lever all sorted out.

Upon further inspection it appears that the original locator pin is somehow wedged in between the ball on the end of the gear shift and the mount.

That said, I pulled the floor pans up, removed the tunnel cover and finally unbolted the gear shift assembly. I spent plenty of the time thereafter using Simple Green and a variety of brushes and rags trying to remove all of the old grease and sludge that was built up on everything.

Once that was taken care of I discovered that the one set of ring pullers that I own is too fat to remove the ring inside of the assembly. So, a trip to Sears tomorrow after school should sort that out.

That said, what SHOULD have been a 5-minute job has now turned into several hours requiring too much labor and a tool purchase.

And yet, for some odd reason, I am truly enjoying myself.

crazyfish
10-27-2006, 10:56 AM
lololol

I mean, I mean I have NO idea what you are talking about.

bens101fc
10-27-2006, 08:32 PM
That said, what SHOULD have been a 5-minute job has now turned into several hours requiring too much labor and a tool purchase.

It's whenthe uknown job turns out to be simple and easy--that's when you have to worry. What you decribe is par for the course.

FWIW, when I couldn't find that screw on mine, I retapped the hole and used a standard bolt. I used the bench grinder to narrow the end fo the bolt to a smaller diameter so that it would fit in the slot. So far it's working

Ben