PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for recommendations...

ssbrad
10-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Hello,

I'm a new member to R.O.V.E.R.S. and new to the world of Land Rovers. After lusting after a Discovery for years, I finally got one earlier this year (1999 1/2 Disco Series II) and somehow talked my loving wife into getting a new LR3 more recently. We had the opportunity to go off road a few weeks ago (in my Disco) - it was amazing and I'm hooked!

Not content to leave well enough alone, I've been scavenging around for a used, less than perfect older Range Rover that I can start to try working on and spend sweat equity instead of dollars. I honestly don't have a lot of experience in wrenching but am willing to get my hands dirty and try to learn.

This is where the questions come in...

Knowing that I won't be able to fix everything, is there an independent repair shop in the Philadelphia area that folks recommend? I actually like my dealer (West Chester LR) but know that there is no way I can pay their rates and costs for this project.

Are there better or worse years in a Range Rover that I should avoid or steer towards? I'm looking at them anywhere from 1988 to 1995. Are earlier RR's easier to work on?

Greatly appreciate thoughts here and look forward to meeting folks IRL!

Thanks,

Scott

rvrsrvc
10-25-2006, 09:39 AM
First off, congratulations! I have a Disco I as well as a 95 Classic SWB.
There are many opinions on what's the best or better years for the Rover but I'll offer my .02.
87-88 have a Center Differential Lock. Very desirable off-road as a traction aid. They also have a 3.5 liter engine that is not the most powerful.
89-92 used a 3,9 liter engine and a viscous coupling in the transfer case instead of the Diff Lock. Also, ABS was available.
93/94/95 was the introduction of electronic air suspension and a 4.2 liter engine in the long wheel base model.
95 was a transition year for the introduction of the second generation Rangie. The Classic had an interior freshening that had a similar layout as the Discovery I. It also included air bags in the dash. (Also known as a soft dash). The electrical harness and many of the components are straight out of the Discovery I.
The newer the year, the more 'stuff' was added- Cd changers, air suspension, glass sunroofs, abs and traction control.
Mechanically, all years are very similar, ex. a '94 4.2 engine will fit an '88 model year, and there is a lot of interchangeability of the major components. The biggest thing I feel is to find one that has as little rust as possible! It's imperative that one ck thouroughly and I'd even suggest it's worth a premium price for a rust-free example.
There's more, I just wouldn't know where to start! Come to the Trials event in November and find out for yourself!
As far as shops near Philly, I don't know.
I have a Rover-only shop just outside of Hershey.
I hope this was helpful!
Trevor

crazyfish
10-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Don't know anything about Rangies but ROVERS is really strong in Shop days. Head to Robesonia and meet some folks. It all falls into place there.

Where are you from? Doylestown has a really good Series guy who also gets into the later models as well. Not so much electrics as mechanicals. Also works on the D-90s.

ssbrad
10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Trevor and Crazyfish,

Thanks much for your posts - especially the info on the differences in the model years. I'm trying to make it to Robesonia (and will RSVP accordingly).

I'm in Bala Cynwyd - start of the "Main Line" and right outside of Philadelphia. Doylestown is ~30 minutes from here so that could be an option.

There's an independent foreign shop nearby and I'm planning on asking them about their LR work and rates...

Best,

Scott

jason
10-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Scott, you should definitely try to make the trek to Robesonia. You'll meet some great people and get your truck dirty, if you wish. I also wanted to give a thumbs up to your dealership, West Chester. They've been good to our club in the past, and although I don't have personal experience with their service department, I can at least vouch for their accommodating attitude. Nice people. I also know of a yellow 5 door 109 in your area. If you can find it, you can have it.:)

crazyfish
10-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I also know of a yellow 5 door 109 in your area. If you can find it, you can have it.:)

lol you bastard!

Frank84
10-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Scott - If you want to get your hands dirty on a classic rangie, there's a shop day coming up near Princeton (NJ). We're installing an engine in a truck- at least that's the plan. Check out the thread in the event section of the forum.

ssbrad
10-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I can't make the Princeton shop day due to prior pland but still working on going to Robesonia. In fact, I appreciate all of the online and offline information that I've received after posting.

Question though - is Robesonia a family friendly event? I was planning on bringing my son (just under 5 years old). Would that be a good or bad idea?

galen211
10-30-2006, 08:19 PM
I can't make the Princeton shop day due to prior pland but still working on going to Robesonia. In fact, I appreciate all of the online and offline information that I've received after posting.

Question though - is Robesonia a family friendly event? I was planning on bringing my son (just under 5 years old). Would that be a good or bad idea?

Yes, Robesonia is one of the family friendliest events we have. Usually lots of kids there and we always like to start them early in there Rover addictions.

rvrsrvc
10-31-2006, 06:44 AM
Plus, we can stack them like rocks for some of the trickier sections...

jason
10-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Apple juice and graham crackers make excellent traction aids. My 5 yr old daughter Ryen will be there to keep the adults in line.;)