PDA

View Full Version : It's ALIVE!!!

mlp141
11-19-2006, 12:07 PM
OK people -- I am proud to announce that my little Series IIa breathes life! Grover is alive!

Thankfully I had some spare bucks after payday and so I finally got around to buying a new battery. Yesterday I removed the old (and rusty) gas tank. I had to hold off on installing the new tank because the outrigger is rusted to hell. So I figured no sense trying to rig something up, but I really did want to see if she'd start.

So, I hooked up the battery, stuck the fuel line directly into a five-gallon gas can, squirted in some starter fluid and gave it a shot. She cranked right away and with a little bit of coaxing (and some more started fluid) finally started!

I let it run for quite a while; I shut it down and used some carb cleaner to remove some of the filth. She will now start nearly every time, but if the choke is fully closed she'll eventually stall out. I am guessing that some minor adjustments will sort that out.

That said, the next mission is to try and get my clutch back. When she first arrived the clutch pedal gave some rather still resistance; now it goes right to the floor. I am not sure what the deal is, but I know it needs fluid. I am going to pick some up today and see if that does the trick.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my joy!

--Michael

crazyfish
11-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Congrats! The journey begins, the wallet empties....

Oh, you might not want to call it Grover, there is another Grover, and he's not, well, you know.....

sven
11-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe he meant G-Rover> Kinda like G-Money. YO:p

galen211
11-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Awesome!

bens101fc
11-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Well done! Another Rover brought back to life!

Ben

mlp141
11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Jason -- does your Series run? Got any photos of it? (or its pieces:D )

mlp141
11-20-2006, 06:51 PM
That said, the next mission is to try and get my clutch back. When she first arrived the clutch pedal gave some rather still resistance; now it goes right to the floor. I am not sure what the deal is, but I know it needs fluid. I am going to pick some up today and see if that does the trick.

Update ...

Good news:

Progress made today. Much to my delight, I rigged my fuel tank (aka jerry can) back up, turned the key, closed the choke, hit the starter and Grover fired right up! First Try! Plus, I was also able to adjust the carb so she'll idle with the choke fully open.

I got the clutch system bled and the pedal has come back to life. It took me forever to find that slave cylinder BTW. The green bible really is a remarkable book, but sometimes the illustrations are too "zoomed in."

Anyway the pedal is giving what I assume is the proper resistance -- rather firm (far firmer than my little Sonoma) but solid.

The truck will go into gear with the clutch depressed. However, here's the bad news:

While running, I can depress the clutch and get the truck into gear. But, when I attempt to get the truck to move forward nothing seems to happen. I am able to remove my foot from the clutch completely and the truck does not move forward. Moreover, she doesn't stall either. I tried reverse too with the same results. However, in an inquisitive effort, I tried to put the trans into gear without the clutch she grinded as expected.

So, WTF? Obviously, the clutch is doing something right, since I can put it into gear. However, something along the way is not Kosher since the truck will not drive.

Can this have anything to do with the transfer case? Is it something else?

Thoughts?

rmuller
11-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Try taking it off the jack stands and putting the tires back on? :rolleyes: .. sorry im of no help :)

rvrsrvc
11-20-2006, 10:37 PM
You didn't mention the positioning of the other gear levers. This was towed from sowhere far far away, right? Possibly somebody put the transfer case in neutral to get it on a trailer? Oh, and congrats!

crazyfish
11-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Red lever forward, yellow knob up. Steve and Evan once got me by putting the transfer case in neutral, and the overdrive in neutral. Took me a few seconds to figure out both....

galen211
11-21-2006, 08:25 AM
yeah, it sounds like the transfer case is in neutral. Hope it really is that simple.

galen211
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Oh and the red lever can be forward or backward, just not in the middle.

Forward=high range
Backward=low range

for around the house with no brakes I'd go with low range myself.;)

mlp141
11-21-2006, 08:42 AM
I hope is that simple too.

After I cleaned everything up long after sundown, I was inside talking to my dad on the phone. I was filling him in on my progress and was questioning him about the situation when it dawned on me that perhaps the transfer case had something to do with it.

That said, I won’t have time to mess with things today. However, I plan to work Wednesday afternoon since we have a half-day at school.

Next mission: brakes!

jason
11-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Congrats Michael! Now that I have the RRC back on the road, I can divert the river of money to the Series puddle. I also got a new battery for it with high hopes, but didn't share the same results. I really don't have many spare parts other than radiator, hood, doors, rear tub, 2.25 non running engine, and windshield. Everything else was given away or sold on e-bay.

crazyfish
11-22-2006, 11:31 PM
You would think, a great photographer like Michael, would post some shots of this progess..........

mlp141
11-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm too busy wrenching to be shooting ...

Seems to have been the transfer case in neutral. I started her today, put the red lever up and when I released the clutch, she wanted to creep forward. So, the trans seems OK for the mean while.

However, since I am sans-brakes, I didn't drive it anywhere.

The brake situation scares me. I cannot seem to find the servo assist, so I am guessing that my truck doesn't have this option. That said, how do I bleed the brake system? Are the wheel cylinders the only option?

I filled the fluid reservoir and still the pedal goes right to the floor. What do I need to do?

PS -- for the most part, she regularly starts with little/no help. And, believe it or not, the headlights actually work!