PDA

View Full Version : Sunbury Trials December 10th

galen211
11-22-2006, 08:51 AM
We have decided to put on another trials December 10th. Sunbury is about an hour north of Harrisburg. Right off of Routes 11/15.

The terrain is mostly soft ground and mud so damage is very unlikely as far as the body is concerned. This event will be a great compliment to Robesonia as it is quite different with a creek crossing or two.

There will be a work day December 3rd, starting at 9 a.m. both days.

I'll post more information as it comes along. I will get a better address in a few days as right now all I have is an RD #.

flippedrover
11-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Hmm.. I might be able to make that depending on how work Saturday night goes.

87xj95disco
11-23-2006, 05:59 PM
i gess i should use my rover for this event so i can win something
for my rover haha
see what i can do to get off for that day

mlp141
11-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Who's in for this so far? Do we have a list of expected participants?

I am not sure if I'll compete, but I'd probably come up to watch and photograph things.

GadgetRick
11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I have to see if I can make it as I'm just getting back from vacation on the 6th and will be meeting with clients on that Saturday. I may be able to make it though. I'll let you all know...

pushngo
11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure everything is questionable with an 8 1/2 month prego wife

jason
11-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Canadian gestation is 11 months, no?

rvrsrvc
11-28-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm in

sven
11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I'll be there too.

Peter
11-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Can you post an address or coordinates to the event?

galen211
11-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Can you post an address or coordinates to the event?
I'll try to get them, all I have right now is an RD address.

I've been there, it's 20 minutes from my house , but that doesn't help much....

galen211
11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Who's in for this so far? Do we have a list of expected participants?

I am not sure if I'll compete, but I'd probably come up to watch and photograph things.

Michael,

You could compete at this one, there isn't much to damage a stocker. Just mud and some creek crossings. Most of the brush that I encountered last time won't be there since it now cold.

87xj95disco
11-30-2006, 11:07 AM
not worred about the bruch
just have to get the rover up and running
inspection is due and i need part put on and
now the damn master brake is leaking so i
have parts coming for that would like to try to
get it done this weekend but so much needs to be done
just need the address to punch it in my gps i should be able to
make it just have to keep brake fluid with me thats all
count me in

rvrsrvc
12-01-2006, 08:53 AM
So you go first then!? Is there an award for fastest time of the day with and with out brakes?

galen211
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
what are brakes?

I currently have the optional double pump system and will soon be upgrading to a triple pump system.

I have a new master cyclinder to install but what fun is that?

galen211
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
BTW

The guys are going to be setting up the course this Sunday.

If you want to go you can meet Jeff Wilson at the gas station at the corner of Routes 890 and 61 just outside of Sunbury at 9 a.m.

His email is jw2asub at aol.com

Still working on directions, should have them tonight.

galen211
12-01-2006, 11:01 PM
OK, got an address but there's a hitch...

The address is 1042 Foye Road. Sunbury, PA. 17801

The hitch is that Northumberland County is in the process of creating there 911 addresses (versus old R.D. #'s) and this address was created a week ago.

Some of you guys with Nav GPS may be able to find Foye Rd. If you plan on doing it that way let me know if it works. Otherwise you'll want to get to Sunbury then travel South on Route 61 until you come to Route 890. Turn right onto Route 890 and travel about two miles to Foye Road. They plan on putting a big Rovers sign at the end of Foye Rd. but I can tell you it's at the bottom of a long hill and the turn is a hard right so it is easy to miss.

If you are coming from the south we can probably meet at the gas station at the intersection of 61 and 890 (it's about 100 yards after you make the right onto 890). If you are coming from the north across I-80 or something like that there is a group meeting at my house in Milton about 20 minutes north of the place. You can always meet there and follow the convoy down. My address is 400 Broadway St., Milton, Pa. and is very close to the intersection of I-80 and Route 147.

Also my plans have changed and I am now going this Sunday for the set-up. If anybody wants to come just email me or pm me on the forum and I can lead you there. 9 a.m. start time both days.

Hope to see you there!

87xj95disco
12-02-2006, 05:26 PM
is there an entry fee and what about prizes
same rules, should we bring our own lunch.
and what is the count of rovers so far
trev wait for me and we can roll together ok call or email me on
what time to meet.
we need to be there by 9 right its about 2 hours from
my place gess i better leave early.
c u all there on the 10th

galen211
12-04-2006, 09:33 AM
OK, for all you folks with GPS here are the coordinates.

N 40 degrees 49.233'
W 076 degrees 44.557'

This mark was taken where the Wilson's driveway meets Foye Road. There is a sign at the driveway that reads, "Who's Hill Farm"

Yesterday the property was more wet than when I was out in July. Bring Wellies if you got'em. The first stage is entirely in water filled ruts. The second stage cuts the corner of a swamp and the third or fourth stage drives down the creek bed.

I drove most of the course yesterday and there are only two parts that may be harder for longer trucks. One is a creek exit and it is already been decided as optional. The other is a crossing of an old mill race, more of a muddy ditch. The longer may actually be OK here. My 88" was bumper to bumper width sitting in the ditch. The newer trucks may do better with at least one axle out of the ditch at a time. We'll find out Saturday!

I'm not sure about lunch I will find out if something is going to be provided. Also I know prizes are trying to be worked out so there will be something.

galen211
12-04-2006, 05:22 PM
ok, so far I got:

Bill Simone
Jeff Wilson
Peter Monk
Tom Bache (non-competitor)
Cary Knause
Sven Schulz
Trevor G.
Me
Mike Stevens
Derek and Erica Dilks
Our hosts Hugh and Lynn Wilson's will also be there but not competing.

Anybody else?

87xj95disco
12-04-2006, 06:31 PM
last name
stevens (87xj95disco) HAHA

rvrsrvc
12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Galen,
You said that we'll find out Saturday. Did you mean Sunday?
Add Derek and Erica Dilks to the list.

galen211
12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Galen,
You said that we'll find out Saturday. Did you mean Sunday?
Add Derek and Erica Dilks to the list.

Yeah sorry, Sunday not Saturday.

Also, I found out, we will either order pizzas or the Wilson's will be grilling burgers. Either way we will feed you for coming out.

jason
12-08-2006, 09:31 PM
G, how did Jeff make out on prizes?

galen211
12-09-2006, 10:00 AM
G, how did Jeff make out on prizes?

No idea, he said he was going to call you.

galen211
12-09-2006, 05:08 PM
OK, I've been asked to try and give some better directions so here goes:

Bill Simone plans on coming up 81 North to the Minersville exit which is Route 901. On 901 you will head Northwest. In the town of Mount Carmel 901 intersects with Route 61. Take Route 61 North towards Shamokin and Sunbury. Just before you reach Sunbury Rt. 61 intersects with Route 890. There is a bar at this intersection called Dan's Den. About 100 yards back on Rt. 890 there is an A Plus minit mart/gas station. Coming from this direction you will turn left onto Route 890. From here you will continue about 3 miles. Foye Road will be on your right at the bottom of a steep hill it is a hard turn so slow down quite a bit. There is supposed to be a sign placed at Rt. 890 and Foye Road that will point to the farm. After making this right you continue maybe 1/4-1/2 mile and the driveway is on the left. You can't really see the house or barn from the road but it not a hard turn into the driveway more of a slight left.

For anyone that wants to come up Routes 11/15 that is pretty easy also. Continue up 11/15 from Harrisburg. In Shamokin Dam the highway becomes two lanes through traffic lights, stores and restaurants. About 2-3 miles into this area Route 61 will be a right exit. This is also the exit for Sunbury and the exit will immediately take you over the Susquehanna River. Once on the bridge you will want to be in the left lane. The left lane is Route 61 as it comes off the bridge and goes through the town of Sunbury. Keep following Rt. 61 all the way through town. As you start to come out of town on the other side you go under a railroad underpass and make a 90 degree left turn. About 1/2 mile after that bridge is the intersection with Rt. 890. You will be making a right onto Rt. 890 from there follow the directions above.

Anybody that may be coming from either direction on Interstate 80 can meet at my house from 8:00 to 8:15. For me you will want to take the Route 147 South exit off of I-80. Go one exit South on Rt. 147 to the Broadway St. exit. At the end of the ramp turn right and continue into town. I am about 1/2-3/4 of a mile in town and I will park the Series in front of the house. My address is 400 Broadway St., Milton, PA 17847 My cell number is 570-898-4280. I already have two people meeting at my house so this is no problem for me.

I will also stop at the gas station that is at the intersection of Rt. 61 and Rt. 890 between 8:45 and 9:00. Anybody that wants to meet there I will also take you down to the trials.

If anybody has any questions they can call me on my cell phone.

Thanks,
Galen

jason
12-09-2006, 07:56 PM
No idea, he said he was going to call you.

He did. Have a great time. Sorry I'm going to miss it, especially since it's so close to my inlaws. Definitely next time.

rvrsrvc
12-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for putting on a great event! Tyler, Frannie and I had a great time, loved the property and the trails! Sorry we didn't get a chance to say goodbye to everyone, but we did make it home without any temp issues. ( I was missing all of the fan blades after a dunking in the stream).
See you all soon!
Trevor

galen211
12-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks to the Wilson's for letting us play on the property and thanks to Tom and Jeff for their work setting the place up.

For short notice and not a lot of advertising (my fault, sorry) we had a pretty decent turn out.

Thanks to Trevor for dragging me around everywhere.

Next time we get together (hopefully Spruce Cabin) I'll have a much better sounding truck if I get the time to install my exhaust before then!

sven
12-11-2006, 09:44 AM
I was pleasantly surprised about how the trails turned out. I had a great time. Spent about $6 at the local carwash last night :rolleyes:

PS Nice to finally meet Carey and Stuart!

galen211
12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I was pleasantly surprised about how the trails turned out. I had a great time. Spent about $6 at the local carwash last night :rolleyes:

PS Nice to finally meet Carey and Stuart!

Next time you'll have to come to a work day and give us the LWB perspective.

Watching you though you do very well in long truck!

solihull109
12-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the outstanding time, first trials( in a vehicle) and I'm hooked. Was so nice to finally put faces with names and to get in the woods.:)
Ditto to what Galen said, Sven you did a great job in a LWB----how's the new bodywork though? I left the mud on my truck for now, it's hiding ALL of my new bodywork( maybe the wife won't notice?):D Thanks again, I had a blast and if you need help setting up the next one you know where to find me.

Carey

sven
12-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Believe it or not, once I cleaned it, it doesnt look as bad!

87xj95disco
12-11-2006, 08:53 PM
had a great time that is the first i realy took the rover off roading
like that. my boy loved the mud on it .the only real damage was the
running boards no big deal and the back bumper and corner piece
nothing major. the only thing done to it was
mud tires.thanks to everyone there and hope to see you all soon

crazyfish
12-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Pictures!

galen211
12-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Pictures!

Pammi was on hand with camera so we'll have to bug her for some.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing the pictures of Trevor dragging me through mud so deep my wheels weren't even touching the bottoms of the ruts! I was just riding along on my axles.

derekdilks
12-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Big thanks to the Wilson's for hosting, I enjoyed meeting everyone, can't wait for the next gathering (what a GREAT property) not to mention the cookies, pizza, chocolate, cider, Land Rovers, etc. VERY impressed with the series trucks performance, I think me wants one. But what would I do without traction control, CDL, Viscous coupling, adjustable air susp, etc etc???

solihull109
12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Howdy Derek, you know all of those "goodies" can be added to a series rig if you so desired......, what about coils, how about a turbo diesel transplant?:D

rvrsrvc
12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Maybe I should get a "Official Land Rover Series Recovery Vehicle " decal made up?

jason
12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Glad everyone had a good time. Sorry I missed it. Were there prizes and places? Who actually competed?

galen211
12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Maybe I should get a "Official Land Rover Series Recovery Vehicle " decal made up?

No, just an Official Galen Recovery Vehicle sticker will suffice.:rolleyes:

galen211
12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Glad everyone had a good time. Sorry I missed it. Were there prizes and places? Who actually competed?

We had some great prizes courtesy of Atlantic British. First was $100, Second $75 and Third $50.

We had six competitors but several others out to watch.

Competitors:
Bill S.
Sven S.
Cary K.
Trevor G.
Mike S.
Galen L.

Derek and Erika (sp?) Dilks came out in a week old LR3, Tom B. and Jeff W. officiated. Stuart came out but wouldn't run his BMW on the course.:p

Bill took first, Trevor second and I was third. I think fourth was a three tie. Bill and Trevor both gave their gift certificates back and Tom held a Land Rover quiz to award them. Sven won one with a whopping one correct answer out of seven or six (I guess we all need some LR history lessons). Somehow my wife answered the question correct for the other prize (I quickly told her she was wrong and much to my chagrin she was right.)

We finished the course in the morning with one stage left after lunch. After that we went back into the woods and had play time. This is the point where Trevor was dragging me through mud so deep my wheels weren't touching the bottom of the ruts.

I think this can be a more sucessful event but I take some of the responsibilty for the low turn out. I have been so busy with the house transition and ridiculous commute that I had no time or money to make up postcards.

jason
12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm looking forward to joining you on the next one. If we can schedule it far enough in advance, like two months perhaps, then we can generate some more interest and promote it better. I really like the 'Rover Trivia' idea! Maybe Tom could come up with some more for Spruce.

rvrsrvc
12-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I'd liek to request that the trivia include some coil spring Rover questions!

And, I have a number of pix of a green series who was frequently on my winch....

galen211
12-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I'd liek to request that the trivia include some coil spring Rover questions!

And, I have a number of pix of a green series who was frequently on my winch....

Any pics of a red one?

sven
12-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Somebody should post pics ....