PDA

View Full Version : Snow run?

GadgetRick
11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
I overheard some people mentioning something about a snow run up in Maine. What's the deal with this? I'd be interested in doing this then doing some skiing at Sunday River. Just depends on when they're doing it. Unless, of course, I'm mistaken. :)

solihull109
11-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Well, that would depend on which "run" you meant. I know that BSROA is having a trailride on Dec. 3rd. Might go to that one.
I also spoke with Bruce Fowler, he puts on the " Winter Romp" every year in Unity, Maine. You may have read about this in Rovers North news, they publish an article of said event yearly. I know that John Robinson also has trailrides quite often, so it would depend on which ride you were inquiring about. If interested in obtaining some info about the " Winter Romp", drop me a note.
Note-Maine in the winter is beyond cold, I personally enjoy sub zero weather, but others do not. That being said, properly outfit your truck accordingly.
:D

Disco4X4XFar
11-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Being a BSROA member as well I can tell you that winter romp is no joke. I know most of the guys who go to it and there all FN NUTS. The wheeling in the snow is fun but it "wicked cold"!

Monte

bens101fc
11-30-2006, 09:45 AM
www.winterromp.org

President's day weekend every year.

Only a few of th more insane people camp out at Bruce's. (Nights can get down to -30F some years). Most people stay at the Holiday Inn in Waterville. The format is breakfast at Big Gs (also a place to get huge sandwiches for lunch) trail drives during the day and eating in town at night. The central meeting point is Bruce's house. This year there will be up to 6 trail groups. Bruce has already had some work weekends to clean up the trails. All of the driving is on private land--something like 10,000 acres. I think there were 75 Rovers there last year. Not bad for a word of mouth event.

Some of my photos:
http://www.fourfold.org/bens/Events/WinterRomp2005/
http://www.fourfold.org/bens/Events/WinterRomp2006/

From central NJ (at Disco speeds) it usually takes me about 8 hours to get up to Bruce's.

As for FN nuts, Bruce usually drives his Series I 86" on the trails--sans heat and open no door tops.

The event is a **lot** of fun and I always plan on going.

Ben

bens101fc
11-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Note-Maine in the winter is beyond cold, I personally enjoy sub zero weather, but others do not. That being said, properly outfit your truck accordingly.
:D

Being prepared is important. I always go out with extra food, a tent and sleepingbags. Even though you might only be a few miles from a road it can be a long time to get out.

One year a few people went for a quick jaunt down one of the roads. Other LRs just joined the convoy. After long slogging they got
to the end and found just as it was getting dark...a locked gate. So 8 to 10 Rovers turned around. But the ice had broken over the swamp. Those in back (now in front) weren't prepared. In the end they were out until 3am or 4am. No food. Many without adaquate cold gear for the -20 to -30F temps. In the end they abandoned 1 to 3 Rovers and pushed on out. They came back the next day to get the remaining Rovers.

Always respect the winter in Maine.

That said, last year there was no snow and one day the temps were above freezing. So odd.

Ben

GadgetRick
12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
The Winter Romp is what I was thinking of. I may be interested in going so I can have an excuse to make it up to Sunday River and make some turns.

I'd be one of the guys staying in the hotel. I don't like camping in warm weather! :)

cboy
12-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm down for the Winter Romp, Rick. We can caravan if you want.

GrFa
12-14-2006, 02:02 AM
The original goal for finishing my 71 IIA 88 was to take it to winter romp 06, suffice to say it is still not put together. I guess I can chalk that up to being a poor, full time student and going from minor restoration work (more like just repairing) on previous cars to a full frame up on my LR.

I hope it is done for winter romp 07. My entire winter break, which starts this Friday and lasts six weeks, will be devoted to getting my rover on the road.

On a hopeful note, do you guys think that tire chains on 235/85/16s will work on my otherwise stock IIA for the romp?

GadgetRick
12-14-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm down for the Winter Romp, Rick. We can caravan if you want.
Sounds like a plan. You down for some skiing while we're up there?

Also, I don't have chains. You think I'd need them?

bens101fc
12-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I bring chains to the Romp. I only put them on the first year. After that I've run just on aired down tires. From what I know Bruce never (or almost never) puts chains on for the Romp.

I'd suggest bringing chains if you have them. But if you don't, don't sweat it.
That's what winches and tow straps are for.

I'll be heading up the Thursday before the Romp from NJ and coming back on Monday.

Ben

GrFa
12-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I'll be heading up the Thursday before the Romp from NJ and coming back on Monday.

Even though I live in NJ I will be starting out from school in MA, I would love to join up then. Any idea what route you guys will take?

bens101fc
12-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Even though I live in NJ I will be starting out from school in MA, I would love to join up then. Any idea what route you guys will take?

You eventually want to get on I-95. Usually I head up 287 to the Thruway,
cross over the TZB, cross westchester to I-95. Then in New Haven I head North on 91 to 84 to the Mass Pike. Then 495 to avoid Boston and rejoin I-95 near NH. From there it is 95 with a brief diversion onto 295 up to Waterville.

It's about 450 miles from my place to Waterville and it takes me about 8 hours.

Ben

GadgetRick
12-21-2006, 04:06 PM
If Eric and I are going we'd be happy to caravan up. We'll keep you posted.

GrFa
12-23-2006, 11:03 PM
If Eric and I are going we'd be happy to caravan up. We'll keep you posted.

I would probably hop on the Mass pike west and meet up with you guys at 495. That is if the truck gets finished by then of course. All I really need is for the shop to get it done, and to make sure it works (the whole truck that is).