PDA

View Full Version : The Magical Mystery of Heat in a Series

crazyfish
12-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Heat. Heat. Heat. On the Quest for some type of warmth, I'm told that JC Whitless has a nice heater that someone else used before. $300. That seems like alot of money to keep my skinny little ass warm, when I need other things, like more spray paint, and 90wt. So a bit of searching and I turn up the manufacturer.
Find www.danhard.com (http://www.danhard.com/sub2.htm) and realize it's the same thing..... $145

I bought model 01416 thinking the defroster part would work, but it doesn't due to the design, the air runs fast from back to front with none of the air going up....

Get the 01415 and the heater controls and head to NAPA and plunk down the money for a 12v defroster, nice to warm up those frosty hands too while the big heater warms up.

I'll post pics of the install later, but in short, the thing COOKS. My wife loves the heat at full blast in the middle of winter. Other people with a normal tolerance to high temperatures might find it a bit uncomfortable and the term "roasted chestnuts" comes to mind due to its under dash position and directed airflow.

Since only I seem to be crazy enough to ride in it in the winter, this is usually not a problem, and a large 109 5 leaky door uninsulated land rover makes for quick heat dissipation. If driving for more than 15 minutes I actually turn the 3 speed fan down to 1.

Winter boots still required as the footwell of the drivers side seems to avoid heat, except in summer time. Now that the Smiths Round shin lightly toasting noise maker has been removed, I may try to mount it in the center, facing up or down.

I had to cut two round holes in the bulkhead for the radiator hoses( hey what's two more ) and two holes up into the passenger shelf. Avoid the "defroster" model and save yourself two holes and have extra time to enjoy the cold beer in the sunshine.

Quick Picture: Heater Installed (http://gallery.roversclub.org/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=4) Before Install looking so pretty (http:/http://gallery.roversclub.org/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=54)
When I installed it, it seemed to stick out to far but no one has smashed knee caps into it yet, or else I only choose short people to ride up front....

galen211
12-06-2006, 09:03 AM
So they are willing to sell their products direct?

I like the idea of mounting it more in the middle, but I'm not sure that would work with an SIII dash.

Guess I will just have to buy a IIa!

bens101fc
12-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I drove Dora (SIII 88) to the train station today for the commute. It was 16F out. In a Parka with gloves and hood (to block that annoying draft right on my
left ear from the door seals) it wasn't that bad. Not balmy or roast your chestnuts, but ok.

Ben

solihull109
12-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I have a question?, I drove my 109 every day through the winter last season, I'm not sure about this word you guys keep talking about.....heat? I'm not famailiar with that word, I thought that it was normal for it to actually be colder INSIDE than it was on the outside.
Funny thing too, when it would rain/snow, it did so just as much on the inside. I just thought this was British engineering , to keep dust and dirt to a minimum on the inside.....All winter and no heat, I love sub z temps, but I froze my butt off, however I wouldn't have traded it for the most comfy/plastic clad/no low range/please don't touch the paint/ luxury sport ute ever. Just add another layer, keep the ice scraper inside(and handy) and enjoy the smells and sounds that acompany a series rover. Happy trails:D

galen211
12-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I drove Dora (SIII 88) to the train station today for the commute. It was 16F out. In a Parka with gloves and hood (to block that annoying draft right on my
left ear from the door seals) it wasn't that bad. Not balmy or roast your chestnuts, but ok.

Ben

Funny, I get that draft on my right ear.

Truth be told I don't mind the heat in the Rover at all, I find it quite adequate in the SIII, BUT my wife doesn't. She hates to be cold and anything I do to keep it warm would be for her. Unfortunately she hates the smells that Cary mentioned too. I don't have the heart to tell her that isn't going away.....

bens101fc
12-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately she hates the smells that Cary mentioned too. I don't have the heart to tell her that isn't going away.....

Ahh, the smell of used hypoid 90weight. You are right, that doens't go away.
It smells so...right! The number of women who find that smell to be an aphrodesiac is *very* small.

Regarding the ice scraper: Mine has a rubber squegee on the flip side so that
I can be used to wipe off the condensation on the inside of the windscreen on more humid days.

Ben

crazyfish
12-06-2006, 01:18 PM
I get the draft on the left ear - it's quite an odd feeling that one little direct air flow is so consistant.....

bens101fc
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I get the draft on the left ear - it's quite an odd feeling that one little direct air flow is so consistant.....

...and so damn irritating on a cold day.

I think that the air is entering along the top of the door top and then when it
hits the door post it is reflected forward towards my head. I've got new door
seals on all but the top and bottom of the driver's door, so that's my current
guess.

Ben

GrFa
12-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Is it worth going for one of the Mt Mansfield heaters from Rovers North or should I try and engineer my own from a JC Whitney? The heater matrix/fan/etc. was completely rusted out on mine. The truck is just coming together now and the passengers side bulkhead is new and uncut leaving me to do what I wish. I do have the stock distribution box which is in okay shape. I would love to spend 100-200 and some time rather than 800.

crazyfish
12-14-2006, 03:44 PM
The problem with the danhard unit, is where to place it. I've got to figure out a new spot, but in terms of heat, no complaints.

As for distribution - I have lots of wind currents inside that swirl the heat around. lol

galen211
12-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Is it worth going for one of the Mt Mansfield heaters from Rovers North or should I try and engineer my own from a JC Whitney? The heater matrix/fan/etc. was completely rusted out on mine. The truck is just coming together now and the passengers side bulkhead is new and uncut leaving me to do what I wish. I do have the stock distribution box which is in okay shape. I would love to spend 100-200 and some time rather than 800.

By distribution box do you mean what would send the hoses to the vents, defrosters, etc?

The question would be are you trying to do a faithful restoration or a functional restoration? If it is functional then I would use the Danhard unit.

And my hat is off to you because I was once a poor college student and I never had the guts to restore a Series at the same time.

GrFa
12-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I have been trying to keep the value at the end of the day as high as possible. I don't want to do anything that would cheapen the truck. So far it has a new galvy chassis, completely rebuilt axles (not by me, everything new), completely rebuilt bulkhead with galv panels, 16" wheels with 235/85/16s, all new hydraulics etc.

By distribution box I mean the vinyl covered box under the center/passengers side of dash which was used by the stock heater to distribute air either inside the cabin or up to the windshield vents. If there was a way I could use the stock distribution box it would then keep the stock look but maybe throw out some better heat. Once I actually have the truck home I think I will make some mock ups to see where I might be able to fit one.

But....after investing this much money in the truck I want to make it as usable as possible, and everything I have done was to make it last as long as possible.

I'm assuming the Danhard will not fit in the center under the dash correct?

KevinNY
01-12-2007, 12:31 PM
While it may be expensive I can tell you the Mansfield heater makes it HOT in my seriesIII, and I can actually defrost the windscreen.

Tom109
01-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Sean,

Keep lloking for a Kodiak. The Mk.IV heater I have puts out more heat than I can use in my 109 softtop. Next Blizzard we should meet-up half-way so you can check it out...and of course we can have a little fun in the snow!

FWIW, I still get that cold draft straight to my left ear. British Standards I believe...

Tom P.

GrFa
01-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Well my truck is getting closer and closer every day. After riding up to Rovers North and back (254 miles each way) in my friends 109 hard top with a Mansfield lets just say I will be going aftermarket.

I have one aftermarket idea that I think I will be going with. Construction may start as early as this week. Lets just say it will throw out twice the heat of a Mansfield and be completely removable for the summer time. Also no extra drilling or holes in the truck. Approximate cost will be around $300.

Oh and I will DEFINITELY be adding heated seats to my truck, which may be a Series first. Anyone else done that yet? Another $200 for warmth.

KevinNY
01-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I have heated seats from a Saab 900 in my series hybrid. I have not hooked them up yet because I find the velour quite comfy.http://i5.pbase.com/g4/35/542535/3/65000475.nCRBreOa.jpg