PDA

View Full Version : Electric radiator fans

galen211
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
OK, here's the situation. At some point in my trucks life someone put a more "modern" radiator in. When I bought the truck from Tom it had an electric fan on it but it did not work. So Tom and crew removed it and replaced it with the original fan on the motor.

The problem is that the original shroud does not fit the new radiator and fan together. The fan is completely out in the open and I am just waiting for the time I cross water a little too deep. I'm afraid the fan is going to sling water with nothing stopping it what-so-ever shutting me down in a hurry.

So my question is, how do the aftermarket fans work? Do they use a temperature sending unit to know when to kick on? Also, I thought I had read somewhere that you can put in a bypass switch so that the fan can be shut off when you cross water. Is that possible? The radiator works well and someone took the time to fit it in. I think putting a fan behind it might be easier and cheaper than switching to an original radiator.

Ideas? Suggestions? Don't worry about?

spechols
12-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Galen,
It uses a temperature sending unit.
I have one on my rover and I have the mounting and wiring instructions.
I will make you a copy.
Yes - you can add a cutoff switch.
Stuart

flippedrover
12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Don't bother with them. Between Trevor,myself,and John Bradshaw we've all had electrics and went back to the mechanical. My case the fans just up and failed when it got hot. Plus they stopped pulling a lot of air. Trevor might chim in with his expierence since I don't remember the reason why his failed. Might want to have a shroud made for the current fan you've got. I'm sure someone around here can help with it.

rvrsrvc
12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
In all fairness, we were driving twice as many cylinders and who knows how much more weight.
I had wired our fans through a temp sender in the intake manifold/thermostat housing. I'm not sure I trust the type that get shoved into the core or pinched under a hose.
Wired a switch on the dash with a warning light to tell us when the switch had disabled the fans.
I'm not sure there is a another port in the cylinder head of a 2.25

galen211
12-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I did a little research and found the switch that flex a lite sells to disable the fan. I was curious about where to put the sending unit.

So Trevor are you saying that an electric fan may do better in a Series truck that isn't pushed as hard as your own truck?

jason
12-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Galen, fabricating a shroud isn't as hard as it sounds. I did one for my Jeep and one for my Cougar back in the day. I've also had problems with electric units, so I agree with Trevor to stick to the mechanical.