PDA

View Full Version : Shop Day between Christmas and New Years

kirkt
12-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Anyone up for a shop day between Christmas and New Years? I have a high-bay (14 ft), covered, heated garage area (~2500 sq ft) at my office and will bring refreshments. I figure, bring your own snacks - we can make it a potluck thing to finish off those holiday leftovers. I'll bring what tools I have.

I need to learn how to tune a Series III lightweight (timing, carb, etc.) and learn the general lay of the Series land. I need to assess the overall strategy for frame repairs (outriggers, footwells) and what maintenance items need servicing and replacing (hoses, fluids, etc).

Besides this vehicle, there is room for two more vehicles easy. Need to get some work done, or install those goodies you got for the holidays? Let me know if you are interested in helping me and using this pretty sweet workspace in return.

My office is 5 minutes from the Philadelphia International Airport, in Essington, PA. I am right off of 95 near the 420 exit. Should be pretty convenient.

You can find directions by setting your destination to:

439 South Governor Printz Boulevard
Essington, PA 19029

Hope we can pull this off and get the lightweight rockin! I'm hoping Santa will be bringing me some neon rocker panel lights, a fat exhaust tip and a big spoiler wing for the rear soft top.

Kirk

kthibault AT biomechanicsinc DOT com

Peter
12-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Sounds great. Let me know the date and I will be there.

crazyfish
12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Lightweight? I used to own one of those!
Count me in. I'll bring sandpaper and duct tape.

kirkt
12-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Sweet - thanks guys. The talent pool is growing deep! I heard Mr. Zen might make an appearance....:eek:

kirkt
12-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Lightweight? I used to own one of those!

Did someone steal it?

Peter
12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Here we go again.

Peter
12-15-2006, 12:53 PM
If there is room, I'd like to bring the 88 and replace the swivel housing oil seal.

kirkt
12-15-2006, 02:43 PM
If there is room, I'd like to bring the 88 and replace the swivel housing oil seal.

Well, the response has been overwhelming, but I think we can fit you in.;)

Peter
12-15-2006, 03:36 PM
You know how these things turn out.

A) The morning of shop day 20 people decide to go
B) No one shows, then 2 days later people complain that "no one has shop days"

crazyfish
12-15-2006, 11:41 PM
We'll have to kidnap Evan and Larry C on that day. Set the date and promise more food :)

Got a grill down there?

LC Rover
12-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Just got a e-mail from Kirk," let the fun begin". The way it looks now I will have spare time that week. The IRS-CIS spent the day at our office, one for the books. My day book looks pretty open now. LC Rover:mad:

LC Rover
12-16-2006, 09:40 AM
And no, I am not sending this post from the Fed Detention Center
LC Rover:D

Peter
12-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Kirk has a nice grill at the garage.

kirkt
12-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Kirk has a nice grill at the garage.

Indeed. What kind of meats do you like folks?

I like beer too and there will be some at the garage. I will follow the thread and supply accordingly as the week approaches. Any day during that week except the 29th is good for me.

Kirk

crazyfish
12-16-2006, 07:56 PM
ok the 29th it is, we'll drink the beer, grill out and leave a nice note saying that we were there.

LC Rover
12-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Do we have a day yet?? Maybe the 26th?

LC Rover:confused:

kirkt
12-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Do we have a day yet?? Maybe the 26th?

LC Rover:confused:

The 26th sounds good - I would prefer to schedule around you Larry, as the rest of the group that has responded so far, including me, has a reputation for eating food and drinking beer but possessing little in the way of actual knowledge. Although this makes for an entertaining day, we clearly need a leader.

Let's say the 26th for now - do you have a 2nd choice, just in case?

Thanks,

kirk

LC Rover
12-19-2006, 12:07 PM
:D Does not matter.

LC Rover

crazyfish
12-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey! I take great offense to that statement.

I have great amounts of knowledge in eating and drinking beer.

kirkt
12-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey! I take great offense to that statement.

I have great amounts of knowledge in eating and drinking beer.

I offended myself, actually.

LC Rover
12-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Has the 26th been confirmed? And Kirk, working on rovers comes in a distant second to drinking beer and eating on my skill chart.:p

kirkt
12-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I think the 27th is the date. Is this still okay with you Larry? Peter? Sean? Bueller?

Let's start around 9 or 10 AM or so. I'll be there whenever you want to show up.

crazyfish
12-22-2006, 12:24 PM
27th is fine.

LC Rover
12-22-2006, 01:20 PM
The 27 is starting to look a little iffy for me. Might be able to show up late, 1 or 2.

LC Rover

Peter
12-23-2006, 10:40 PM
The 27 is starting to look a little iffy for me. Might be able to show up late, 1 or 2.

LC Rover

2 is fine, you can meet us at Turk's.

crazyfish
12-24-2006, 12:12 AM
We'll start early.

On the food and beer.

Has anyone told LC that he has to work a 12 hour shift on the lightweight? :)

LC Rover
12-24-2006, 01:23 AM
12 hour shift? 11 1/2 hours eating and drinking and 1/2 hour stumbling around
the LTWT. You think Lucus electrics are bad now, wait, they can get worse.

LC Rover:p

kirkt
12-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Folks! Hope your Christmas was merry. Shop day tomorrow. I am going to be running out to buy beer and meat. Any other special requests? Given the responses I;ve had regarding the engine oil contaminated with lots of gas, I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump as well as a repair kit. I did not want to pay $30 for shipping overnite, so we can at least take the old one off tomorrow and inspect it, drain the fuel tank, etc. as part of our adventures.

if anyone has the following, can you please bring it/them:

- timing light
- compression test equipment
- brand new Xbox 360 still in the box with "To: Kirk, From: Santa" on the tag.
- any other specialized rover equipment that you know we will need, and want to hide from me until I get upset that we need special tools we don;t have.

See you tomorrow!

Kirk

my cell number is 267-918-6908

kirkt
12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Shop Day Menu

Chicken Wings
Brats
Hot Italian Sausage
Assorted Chips/Salsa

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Bring Your Own Other Beer/Beverage/Meat/Snacks

Sean told me he is going to bring his Winger and Slayer cassette tape collection and his shoulder-mounted boom box.

Hells yeah.:eek:

DISCLAIMER:
Due to the merciful nature of Eagles fans, Cowboys and New York Football Giants fans will be allowed at shop day; however, they will, of course, be subject to a more intense than usual dose of verbal abuse. It's all about the spirit of giving.

crazyfish
12-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Moron, I said REO Speedwagon and Journey cassette tapes. Don't go confusing your collection with mine! I also have a fabulous ABBA collection on 8 track.

lol

Peter
12-27-2006, 12:56 AM
I think I have a well used fuel pump I can bring. Will look throught the parts bin tomorrow morning before leaving.

Peter
12-27-2006, 08:31 PM
What a day! Kirk, thanks for being an excellent host. I am ready to move into your heated garage.

crazyfish
12-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Now THAT's a shop day. 2 kinds of wings, two types of sausage, a heated large 5 shop bay sized work area and a bunch of guys trying to make sense of some exploded diagrams.

I mean, hell, it only took me 3 tries to get the fuel pump diaphragm on correctly!

LC Rover
12-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Two types of wings!!!! I quess that's what I get for showing up late. Had a good but brief work day. What a nice area to work on your rover. These old bones did not have to lay on a cold concrete. Nice and warm!! Kirk, you have your list; let the fun begin. Don't hesitate to call. Only a half hour away.

LC Rover

kirkt
12-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Sean, Peter and Larry,

A HUGE thanks to you guys for helping me start my adventure with the Lightweight. I appreciated the wisdom and sage advice from you folks and we got some stuff sorted out.

Recap:

If you recall, the Lightweight was running super rich and had gas in the engine oil. After probing several different forums, etc., I had decided that the fuel pump or the carb were the first to check out.

We removed the fuel pump and, in the process, found that the two bolts that attach it to the engine were loose and the sediment bowl had a half inch of crud in it. Further, the gasket that goes between the fuel pump and the engine had been "enhanced" previously with some gasket in a tube, but poorly, to the point were the gasket material had set up in ridges on the original gasket, probably resulting in a less than stellar seal. After opening up the pump and checking the diaphragm, we reinstalled it and that seemed to cure some of the issues. I will run the engine for a while and then recheck the oil level, but it seems to be okay for now. I have a brand new pump and a rebuild kit for future use as well.

We disassembled the Zenith 36IV and found flakes of paint from the interior surface of the elbow leading from the air cleaner to the air horn of the carb. Cleaned the inner workings of the carb and checked the float level (33 mm).

Reassembled the carb, reinstalled it - vehicle wouldn;t start. Lunch break.

Wings, brats, eye-talian sausages and beer, chips and salsa.

We then set about trying to find the timing marks, etc. Approximated TDC with the screwdriver in Cyl. 1 and the dist. rotor pointing at 1 and painted some White Out on the crankshaft pulley. Close enough.

Then Larry showed up and, shazam. We were finding timing marks, setting the distributor and idle mixture and eventually diagnosing a faulty ignition wire. Seems the timing is pretty good, with one cylinder missing. She starts right up.

Overall, the Lightweight is in much better shape. Definitely a decrease in black and blue smoke. I have ordered a new set of ignition wires and will report back after changing them in.

I am now entertaining the notion of electronic ignition and a Rochester carburetor. Here we go.....

Thanks again - Looking forward to the next shop day!

Kirk

crazyfish
12-28-2006, 11:27 PM
"Hello Land Rover, Goodbye Wallet"