PDA

View Full Version : power brakes

spechols
12-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Can brake assembly with pedal, servo, master cylinder, reservoir (basically the whole unit) from a DEFENDER 90/110 be adapted to fit a 1976 88”?
Thanks - Stuart

solihull109
12-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Hello Stuart, the answer is it depends. Nothing is impossible, but remember this is a series truck. My suggestion, if you like the look and character of a series, but want a rig that's a little more"modern", sell the series and buy a defender. Going from a quality German vehicle to a gloried farm tractor is tough, a defender might prove the transition to be a smoother one....just my .02.

You can "update/upgrade" your series with defender bits, but you'll have $ invested. I don't know the level of your mechanical or fabrication abilities so please don't take offense. We can discuss a whole host of conversions, upgrades etc at the monthly meeting over a fine pint of stout:D

pbmonk
03-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a vague recollection reading that the Defender power brake pedal box etc can be fitted to a series landrover but that the booster is too large so that the hood has to be modified (and of course the wing has to be cut away to get the SIII style cutaway). Also I think the holes in the footwell have to be enlarged. All this needs to be checked....

The hood/footwell modification can be avoided by using a SIII pedal tower (but the wing still needs to be cut back).

Maybe the simplest change is to use a remote booster. This requires no changes except to the brake lines.

There is a lot of discussion of all these aspects on the SII club forum - see

http://www.nhua.co.uk/smf_1-0-5/index.php

(conflict of interest warning - I am the east coast SII club rep).

Peter (M)

Tdi Guy
03-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I attempted this and yes, it bolts up fine to the bulkhead but hits the bonnet. IT will only work if you are going with a Defender front end or a stage 1 front end which is the same..