PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Lockers

tightlines
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Hey Guys,
Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Detroit Lockers. I currently have a TruTrac in the front and want to install a locking in the rear. I am considering the ARB locking and the Detroit. This is on my daily driver '95 Classic SWB...I love the TruTrac in the front...it drives great but I want a little more stick in the rear. I am a little nervous about the drivability of the detroit, does it really open
up enough to allow for comfortable tight turns when on the road? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...hope all is well and Happy New Year!
-J

jason
12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I've only experienced the detroit in previous Jeeps I've had, and my only complaint would be street driving in rain or snow. A little scary. The ARB is a great unit, if you don't mind the home equity loan required.;)

tightlines
12-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks...yeah I really don't want to screw with the drivability of my classic...I think I need to sac up and get the ARB...it really is the only right option.
-J

KevinNY
12-29-2006, 12:23 PM
In a LWB with full time 4wd the Detroit would be much less noticeable.

rvrsrvc
12-29-2006, 01:56 PM
I could never get used to the banging that went on with the Detroit on-road. Sometimes on throttle, sometimes off, mid corner, coming out of a corner. Never had any trouble in the wet, but then again with 4" of lift, soft springs and no sway bars, I wasn't pushing real hard anyway!

derekdilks
01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm looking to do the same to my 93RRC lwb.... I have a discussion on dweb about it and so far it's about 50/50 on detroit v ARB. Right now she's bone stock, so all I have for traction is the VC and the ETC in the rear only. I was thinking of running the front open, with a locker in the rear and going with the LT230 trans. I'm also being told I should go with a 24spline axles and upgraded shafts?

jason
01-20-2007, 10:05 AM
I've got the 24 spline up front, but I still use the ECT instead of lockers. I'm afraid if I install lockers I'll really start to break stuff. I've only been stuck twice and lockers would not have helped in either situation.