PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has this problem with their DII?

ccalado1
01-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Hello, I had the serpentine belt changed and the belt tensioner replaced, however, the belt still makes a lot of noise especially on cold days. This belt has been replaced twice in the last month so I think something else may be the source of the noise. If I put WD-40 on the belt the noise goes away but not completely for the day. Any ideas?????

Its a 03 Discovery.

Thanks
Cristina

G4Jeffro
01-27-2007, 08:21 AM
try using belt dressing you can get it at an auto parts store.

WD-40 can possibly damage the belt

kirkt
01-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Try inspecting and potentially replacing the idler pulley - this was a known issue on D2's (at least my old 2000 SD).

Good luck,

kirk

solihull109
01-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Ditto that.

rvrsrvc
01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I remember seeing a bulletin relating to belt noise that had to do with replacing both the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley. The updated units are metal instead of plastic.
www.landrovertechinfo.com At least you can do a search for related topics and then subscribe if you need more info. I believe a daily subscription is $10.

One thing I've done in the shop is to apply a water based valve grinding compound to the belt surface. It will "clean" the surfaces of the pulleys and the belt in case they've been contaminated with something. Usually comes in a couple of ounces- sized container. Doesn't take much to be effective. If you choose to apply it while the engines running, use caution and don't get caught in the belt! And wear safety glasses so that a big glob doesn't sling off and hit you in the eye!

Make sure it's water based.

Trevor

ccalado1
01-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I had the belt tensioner replaced a couple of months ago and that did not help. It just came out of the shop again and now makes a lot less noise. It still makes a little noise in the cold mornings but nothing like before. Since its the 4th belt they put in they changed to a non-genuine belt and that seems to help. I have to check the other pulley, maybe that will get rid of all the noise. Is the idler pulley easy to change? I am tired of taking it to the shop, if its not hard I may try it. As far as belt dressing I tried that and the noise would come back the next morning.

Thanks
Cristina

rvrsrvc
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
There are two idler pulleys, one which is often sold as part of the belt tensioner.
Not hard to do: remove the upper fan shroud (4 screws on the panel directly under the top radiator hose; unbolt the shield over the ACE pump (if equipped): draw a routing diagram of the belt before taking it off; and remove the belt in the usual manner.
Hope this helps..

TRUBRIT
03-21-2007, 06:16 PM
another possible soultion is french chalk..(fine talc) on the inside of the belt if it squeals...

oscar
04-07-2007, 09:19 PM
No WD, chalk or other home remedies....... "Belt Dressing" is what it says on the can.....NAPA, Pep Boys etc.... BUT you're treating the symptom, not the cause.

ccalado1
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
So it has been cold and I have been working on the series so the disco has been whining for a while. I am going to have the iddler pulley replaced in the next month and let you know if the noise goes away. I don't like to have to spray the belt every cold morning. :)

Cristina

TRUBRIT
04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
belt dressing (rubber solvent and petroleum distillates)..= belt deteriation. and french chalk is not a home remedy bmw and mb techs have been using this stuff for many years ....fyi :rolleyes: