PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood Clean Up March 4th

Frank84
01-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Next Ringwood State Park Trail Clean Up is scheduled for Sunday, March 4th. Trip runs all day (9am to around 4pm) and we meet at my house as usual. Where we go and what we haul out will depend on the weather and trail conditions (snow?).

Bring lunch, drinks, work gloves, and recovery gear.

The park needs a head count (and # of trucks are limited) so please RSVP. Email me at fbatters@stevens.edu to sign up, get directions, and for any questions.

Thanks,
Frank Battersby

cboy
01-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm in! This is always a fun and productive day.

rmuller
01-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Email Sent! I'm in.

rmuller
01-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Email got returned:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

fbatters@stevens.edu

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: DNS Error: DNS server returned answer with no data

Frank84
01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I have no idea why that email didn't go through. I've gotten a few emails today and I'm at only 30% of my quota. Don't worry, I put you down on the list though.

jason
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm in!

Frank84
01-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Jason - you're on the list!

Craigness
02-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm bringing the UNION labor!

In other words...

We are going to be carding you guys....

I'm In with 1 or 2 others in my truck. Is this the Area 51 trail behind Rt 17?

Also, I'll bring some corless sawzawell's and I have an inverter in my truck to run high power saws and stuff. I've done these before and trust me, a sawzawell makes it much easier. My truck also has a winch and roof rack.

Craig

Craigness
02-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I was in Jonfund about a year ago and we did the Ringwood trail up to the pumphouse.

Whats up with these Ringwood guys?

They let you clean and clean until the place is shiny but then they still don't let you wheel there.

Is there a hidden agenda here?

Are we hoping that they might change their minds in a few mellenia?

Or is there something i'm missing?

I have also been up this road with the NY parks department with mountain biking. They will let you clean anything you want but still will impound your ride if your there the next day. IN FACT the same ranger that unlocks the gate for you and your clean up crew is writing you the ticket the next day while telling you about the great job you did with the trash bags.

Is that the case here?

Frank84
02-11-2007, 11:50 AM
IN FACT the same ranger that unlocks the gate for you and your clean up crew is writing you the ticket the next day while telling you about the great job you did with the trash bags.

Is that the case here?

Yup! Welcome to government.

For the clean ups though - the rangers that i have worked with have been extremely accommodating and trusting - especially considering that they let a group of us go up there unsupervised. There are a bunch of little rules that we need to follow, and this time we all need to fill out a simple volunteer form for insurance reasons in case someone gets hurt.

I think I'm the only lucky one with a year round permit to go up there so I can plan out these trips - but for everyone else it is a one day deal. Of course, I can just set up another clean up date when everyone wants to go back. Sawzall and roof rack will certainly come in handy - bring some rope/tie down straps if you've got them.

We will end up close to Area 51 off route 17, but will be entering in from the opposite side of the park (Ringwood side). So called Area 51 is not part of Ringwood State Park (I think it is Bergen County property) and we're technically not allowed in there even on our trip. The pump house you speak of is about where the two parks have their boundary lines drawn.

Unfortunately for us, Area 51 has tougher trails.

Rob P
02-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I would come up to play (I mean work of course) but since it is far away:

Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 39 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 190.82 miles

And I don't want to come in my Geo, I'm gonna stay home.

Frank84
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Rob - I understand, but once you get the Rover - no more excuses. I make the 3-4 hour drive to the events in PA. Getting up at 5am is tough - especially for a college student that didn't even own a rover till yesterday. By the way - I have an '01 tracker as my daily driver and light wheeling vehicle. You'll miss the gas mileage and regular unleaded.

flippedrover
02-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Rob - I understand, but once you get the Rover - no more excuses. I make the 3-4 hour drive to the events in PA. Getting up at 5am is tough - especially for a college student that didn't even own a rover till yesterday. By the way - I have an '01 tracker as my daily driver and light wheeling vehicle. You'll miss the gas mileage and regular unleaded.
Wait you mean i shouldn't be running regular in my 90??:D

solihull109
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Wait you mean i shouldn't be running regular in my 90??:D
I second that, I have an '88 Rangie with 200,000 on the clock and I know it's NEVER seen anything but regular..:)

Frank84
02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
i guess i should have asked what year, but our '99 gets premium - it'll run on regular of course, but not as well - mileage is even worse

rmuller
02-12-2007, 04:51 PM

You finally got your own rover?! :)

Frank84
02-12-2007, 06:42 PM
You finally got your own rover?! :)

Yup! No more showing up to events in a tracker. I inherited Paul Vuoso's red '89 classic. It needs a new trans and a bunch of other little things. It's not at my house yet - too cold to work anyway. Best part about it is that it comes with dents already so I don't have to feel bad about really using it! It won't be my DD, but I'd like to fix some of the leaks and a couple other issues on it.

I'll still be driving my dad's DII this weekend at spruce and then in ringwood on the 4th.

Ryan - you make any new mods to your truck lately? Last time I saw it you had just bought the rovertym bumper but hadn't gotten it yet.

rmuller
02-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Yup! No more showing up to events in a tracker. I inherited Paul Vuoso's red '89 classic. It needs a new trans and a bunch of other little things. It's not at my house yet - too cold to work anyway. Best part about it is that it comes with dents already so I don't have to feel bad about really using it! It won't be my DD, but I'd like to fix some of the leaks and a couple other issues on it.

I'll still be driving my dad's DII this weekend at spruce and then in ringwood on the 4th.

Ryan - you make any new mods to your truck lately? Last time I saw it you had just bought the rovertym bumper but hadn't gotten it yet.

Nice! We do shop days at least once a week.. at this time of year in Jarek's heated garage.. so as long as you can make it down there, we'll definitely all help out.

Hmmm... since you last saw me there was probably a good amount of mods done... RTE front bumper.. synthetic winch line... dual yellow top optimas.. rovertym rear bumper.. new CDL transfer case(!)... I'm probably missing some.. next in the plans is 3" RTE.. some bigger tires.. then its on to the axles & diffs... never ending project!

By the way, if there is still room on the list, can you add Jarek Maras to the ringwood trip? I was over his place tonight and he expressed interest.

Frank84
02-13-2007, 09:40 AM
A shop day at a heated garage would be great! I think hooking up the cdl on my dad's DII was the best mod for the money - though we didn't need a new tcase since it was a '99 - you'll enjoy it if you haven't already.

I put Jarek down on the list.

Tom109
02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Frank,

I owe you a little shop time when you decide to do the trans!

Let me know when & where...

Tom P.

Frank84
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks Tom - I may have to host a shop day at my house this spring to get the trans done. Bring that huge adjustable wrench with you - that thing was great on the trans cooler lines!

What seals did you replace? Crankshaft end seal, input and output on the trans, and input on the t-case (borg-warner) were the four that came to my mind. Of course I'll need fluid and a new filter as well. Anything else that you remember needing? Perhaps some exhaust manifold studs.

Tom109
02-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Frank,

Yes, new ZF input & output, t-case input and output, and the V8 rear main seal. I had a set of exhaust studs and nuts, and replaced the t-case mounts and parking brake shoes too. Also a new filter in the replacement ZF, and removed the LT230 solenoid.

I had been collecting parts for the swap for over a year - I put the job off as long as possible. Having a new exhaust, etc. really helped with the disassembly.

Tom

Frank84
02-13-2007, 02:15 PM
T-case mounts would be a good idea as the truck is 18 years old. I think the exhaust was done recently, but I think it was done at a local shop.

Maybe Jason will know - is the exhaust fully welded or can it be unbolted? Maybe I'll just have to wait to get the truck to check it out.

galen211
02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I almost bought that truck before I settled on my Series. Enjoy it!

Frank84
02-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks Galen. I did want a series (and still do), but I couldn't pass up the offer. Also - I still have a '62 impala awaiting restoration so I think this is a much better route for me. One old car is enough for now. I should be able to get this truck running quick and Paul had it set up well for the types of events the club puts on.

jason
02-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Where the truck is now would be a good place to do the work. Inside the shop is a lift and pretty much all the tools we need. Of course, it's heated. I'll be getting the whole donor truck from FL, so we'll most likely be parting it out in that shop. The exhaust is new from the cat back, but like he told you, there isn't a muffler, only a resonator. They do come apart fairly easy, though.

crazyfish
02-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Also - I still have a '62 impala awaiting restoration so I think this is a much better route for me. One old car is enough for now.
I had a 60 buick lesabre in college, damn I loved that car. When I moved I put my mattress and box spring inside the car and drove for hours with no discomfort. That car didn't accelerate fast but boy could it move, swayed all over the highway. Someone stole it the week before Hersey so I'm willing to bet there were parts there.... I'd love to work on that. Post a few pics.

As a side note, I'm still drawn towards pre WW2 Panel trucks, probably someday have to have another pokey mobile.....

Frank84
02-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Jason - you're bringing the whole truck up?! I hope that wasn't on account of me asking for the window motors in addition to the trans. Anyway, I guess we'll figure all the details out over the weekend.

Sean - Pictures of the Impala - hmmmm. I don't recall taking any recently, at least since I've gotten my digital camera. I'll have to get on that next time I'm home (at college now). Right now it leaks brake fluid very badly - but I can't find the leak for the life of me. It was my Great Grandmother's car so has been in the family since new. Here's a picture of somebody else's Impala - mine's very close, though without the nice paint and lack of rust. White w/red, 2 door, hardtop.

I certainly understand the highway sway! The only thing worse than that is the non power drum brakes, though I guess many on this board are used to that. Acceleration isn't that great either with the 283, powerglide, and 3.08 rear end. But you can't beat it for cruising around town in!

crazyfish
02-15-2007, 01:23 AM
power brakes? is that new? I had a 401 in it, on the highway, it was quick -Scary, but quick. The three on the tree was rather fun, loved that big curved windshield and the vent windows. The front seat was like a sofa.

jason
02-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Jason - you're bringing the whole truck up?! I hope that wasn't on account of me asking for the window motors in addition to the trans. Anyway, I guess we'll figure all the details out over the weekend.

To ship the tranny and seats: $450
To ship the whole truck: $650
To see the look on my wife's face when it gets here: priceless.:D

Frank84
02-15-2007, 10:57 PM
To ship the tranny and seats: $450
To ship the whole truck: $650
To see the look on my wife's face when it gets here: priceless.:D

hahaha!

How many dead rovers will be in your yard now?

jason
02-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Only two, now.;) I'll probably leave it at the shop to strip it. Too cold in the driveway.

Frank84
02-20-2007, 12:55 AM
the trip is now full (actually, a little over booked). if anybody can't make it please email me since there is a waiting list fbatters@stevens.edu

went for a spin up in the woods today to check out the snow - only about 2 inches of packed stuff, but i was the first to make tracks over most of it

jason
02-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Have you decided what type of clean-up we're doing? Cars, garbage, brush?

cboy
02-20-2007, 08:27 PM
My truck is out. I blew my rear diff up at the Romp, I don't think FWD will cut it. I'll still come up to help if I can ride along with someone.

Jarek M
02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
My truck is out. I blew my rear diff up at the Romp, I don't think FWD will cut it. I'll still come up to help if I can ride along with someone.

If I get the PS gear box in time, I’ll come and get U. What you're doing with the diff, Abe got a spare one, little loose but good.

cboy
02-20-2007, 09:15 PM
The whole busted 3rd member is going out to GBR tomorrow. I don't think it'll be back by the 4th. But when it comes back...it'll be better and stronger :D

rmuller
02-20-2007, 09:30 PM
I'll have available seats in my truck for whoever has a broken truck at the time :)

Eric, quit being a wimp and bring the series ;)

Frank84
02-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Jason - I'd like to start working on some of the bigger stuff like the cars. If we can cut up stuff to fit it on a trailer that would be great. If you can bring your trailer that would make life easy, if not I'll ask Tom or we'll deal without it. We'll bring out to recycle what we can - i think they close at 4:30. Whatever we can't haul, we'll just pile up in the usual place for next time.

Eric - sorry to hear about the diff. I guess that is a good excuse for an upgade! I'm not planing on running the tough trail from last time, but I still don't think front wheel drive will cut it! When you know for sure if you're taking your truck or not let me know because I have 5 trucks on the "waiting list". I really hate the limit the park sets.

cboy
02-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Eric, quit being a wimp and bring the series

now there's an idea...I'll have to give that some thought ;)

jason
02-21-2007, 08:08 PM

I can pick you up. I don't mind adding an extra 5 minutes to the trip.:D

jason
02-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Frank, if you could, please post the list here, including the waiting list. Since this is an official club event, we need to make sure participants are current. I'll contact anyone on the list directly if they need to pay up. Thanks

Frank84
02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Here's the list of drivers:

1. Me
2. You
3. Tom B.
4. Joe Weinkam
5. Frank Peticca
6. Craig
7. Eric Choy
8. Jarek Maras
9. Abraham
10.Rick Farmer
11.Alvin Brandon
12.Ryan Muller
13.Don McFarlane

+ two friends that spent monday clearing brush with me (we had fun though)

"Waiting List"

1. John Vigg
2. Andrew Web
3. Charlie P. (last name?)

2 others just canceled last night so John is #1 on the waiting list now.

As I've told Jason and some others before, the park sets a limit of 8 trucks (this is not an OHV park). I can push it a little, but this is as far as I feel comfortable - in the winter there isn't the mountain biking and hiking traffic on the trails like there usually is so I think they'll let it go this time of year.

Frank84
02-21-2007, 08:52 PM
One more thing - I'm fairly confident about this list, but my Microsoft Outlook just "crashed" yesterday and had to be reinstalled - i kept all this info there. I lost a lot of stuff so if you were on the list and your name isn't above, please let me know.

UofRichmondRover
02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Frank,
Wish I could make it this time, I'll be getting home that day for spring break, but without the Rover:(

Chris

Frank84
02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
That's too bad Chris - you're welcome to come ride along if you want - though you may be a little beat after the drive (or flight?) from virginia - there will be plenty of emty seats I'm sure.

There will definitely be more of them this summer. I've had such a great response for this one that I'll have to have another one real soon. There is still a lot of work to do up there.

flippedrover
02-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Wholly cow its over 5 hours from the DC area!

Frank84
02-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Wholly cow its over 5 hours from the DC area!

Yup - Ringwood is on the border with Orange County, NY. It's a long drive from DC.

flippedrover
02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah main reason I pass on it. Now make it a weekend and I'm game.

Tdi Guy
02-26-2007, 06:20 PM
If I would have seen this sooner I would have been in. Tyler, its only about 15min from me... :)

flippedrover
02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
If I would have seen this sooner I would have been in. Tyler, its only about 15min from me... :)
Hmm.. I'll trade you 90s :D

Craigness
02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I have 2 slaves, err, unsuspecting people coming with me. Where and when?

Duh, I know it's for Sunday.

Gotta get my inverter plugged in.

I'm bringing two sawzawls, cordless circluar saw, whatever else I can steel.

Garbage bags?

I have a SD rack but no trailer.

Whats the wheeling difficulty?

Snow factor?

Are the yankees going to do it this year?

How do you feel about Randy Johnson being gone now?

And Pettit?

C

Frank84
02-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Craig - check your PMs

Anybody else need directions? We meet at my house as usual at 9am and leave shortly after. Bring lunch, drinks, and work gloves.

dmcfarlane
03-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Frank -- apologies but I am not going to be able to make it after all. I still have a pile of work that I need to get through before Monday, so on due reflection I am going to have to unhitch the trailer and keep working. I have been trying to persuade myself this afternoon that by now I would be in a position to come, but it just isn't going to happen.

Y'all have fun, now!

Hopefully some opportunistic individual will see this note and fill the spot...?

Craigness
03-04-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm out the door. Wait up for me.

I'm going solo. All my nizzles bagged out when they found out they might have to work.

My truck is so screwed up, i might need my own sawzawl to cut it up and haul it out :D

L8r.....

jason
03-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you Frank for another great outing. Does this make number 9? I was amazed at the turnout, perhaps the largest one yet, no? See you on Saturday the 10th.

Jarek M
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Thank you Frank for another great outing. Does this make number 9? I was amazed at the turnout, perhaps the largest one yet, no? See you on Saturday the 10th.

First one for me, Thanks Frank and everybody else great outing.

Frank84
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I really must thank everyone that came - we had a great turn out and hauled out a sizable amount on Jason's cool rover trailer.

Jason - I had to double check my now meticulus records(thanks to the state park) and this was only number 8:mad:

I guess we'll just have to go again then:D

Next time I promise to be better organized though so we can get in some more trails - I tried just winging it and I don't think that worked as well.

Frank84
03-04-2007, 11:27 PM
This Saturday (March 10th) -anybody that likes removing heavy old things is more than welcome to help out removing a transmission in Bridgewater (NJ).

Craigness
03-05-2007, 08:40 AM
I can tear it out with my hotwired winch if you like..

Where do I post all those pictures I took?

GadgetRick
03-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Another great event Frank. We had a lot of fun and got a lot of junk out of the park. It was my 3rd time and keep me on the standing list for future ones. :) Driving only 30 minutes for LEGAL wheeling is AWESOME! :)

Can't wait to see the pics. I didn't bring my camera so I didn't get any. Gotta see the videos of tearing that car apart, too. :)

Great meeting those of you I hadn't met yet.

Frank84
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Craig - I could be wrong here, but I think the best way to get pictures posted is to snail mail Sean a burned CD. I don't have his address, but I'm sure somebody does.

Craigness
03-06-2007, 10:31 PM
So Frank,

When can you convince the power dat be?:D

Frank84
03-07-2007, 01:58 AM
So Frank,

When can you convince the power dat be?:D

Haha - let me get my rangie on the road first, then I'll set another day. I wasn't planning on another one till early summer (after I finish school) but since everyone seems to want to go....maybe late April? After Robesonia of course - which is not to be missed!

Frank84
03-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Here's a shot after you got the winch going. Those were some tough door hinges - the frame crumpled but the hinges stayed strong! I've never heard of so many winch problems in one day - we had three right?

Joe
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Frank, thanks for the great event. I sent a disk of 121 pictures to CrazyFish last week. I hope he gets a chance to post them soon.

crazyfish
03-22-2007, 09:41 PM
probably tomorrow....

and thank you for sending them, better than those other lazy photographers :)

Frank84
03-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for coming Joe. As for lazyness - I never even took any pictures despite bringing my camera along. Too much else going on!

crazyfish
03-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Pics posted. Nice pics too!

http://gallery.roversclub.org/thumbnails.php?album=17

jason
03-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Great job on the pics, Joe! That's quite a fast trigger finger you've got. ;)

Frank84
03-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Wow! Nice work Joe. Now we get to have a Ringwood section in the Photo Gallery!!!

Joe
03-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the comments about the pictures. A 1G card gives me over 1,000 shots, so I take a bunch and weed-out the crap!