PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!! Need Advice On Series Iii

tightlines
01-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey Guys,
So I am looking to add to the collection and the headache, it is time for a series. Can you guys take a look at this truck and let me know what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-seriesIII-1973-series-III-60k-miles-no-rust_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6296QQihZ001QQitem Z110080513947QQrdZ1

I appreciate all your help in advance!!

-J

crazyfish
01-17-2007, 09:31 PM
12,000 buys you alot of series. It certainly looks and sounds nice, but like anything go look at it. If you want a ready to go series - probably good. I like series II's better, no plastic dash... and that sexy front end.

I think a series is about time and money and skill. I have time, some money but no skill, so I bought a decent one and threw money at it ( with lots of help )

Tom Bache always has a line on something and Steve Hoare has a Series III with only 5200 miles on it - find him and offer some cash to see if he will part with it. This club has lots of series, links to series, friends with series etc.

GrFa
01-17-2007, 11:36 PM
If you are looking for a complete/done truck that sounds like a pretty good deal. Lots of money spent on it. If you don't want to spend that much money or want more of a project check out the 66 IIA in the classifieds thats in Jersey, running and moving for $3k.

I bought a $750 Rover and its not on the road yet more than a year later, choose wisely:D

solihull109
01-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Personally I think you should answer some questions to yourself, which Sean has already mentioned.
What type and how much skill do you have, as anyone that owns/drives thier series will tell you, if you don't like turning a wrench, this may not be for you. Which leads me to the second part, if skill is 0 or so, are you ready to hand over the greenbacks to fix it? If so, then I would say buy the most pristine example that you can afford that has been mechanically serviced well(not by someone who only repairs domestics).
The truck looks nice, but I see NY tags(I know I'm going to get flak for this), but all the trucks that have been shipped to me from NY (even those in a garage) ,have corrosion issues....something to think about. (Then again what series doesn't have a corrosion issue?...lol)
My shop does offer a service of pre-purchase inspections for my customers, I go over everything with a fine tooth comb, so when I'm finished I'll be able to give you an accurate depiction of what it needs, just thought I'd throw that your way.
You may contact me here or call

Carey Knause
Eastern Woods Research

tightlines
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I am looking for a project but I don't want a total nightmare. This truck seemed like a good option becuase so much work had been done. I am willing to invest 15K to start, this menas either getting a truck that needs lots of work and hopefully 15K will get it up to speed, or just get something that someone has done most of the work. If you guys see or know of any other Series II or III that
are looking for new owners, let me know. I am going to try to take a look at this truck this weekend. I am fairly competant when it comes to life under the hood or under the chassis, I've done lots of the work myself on my two LRs and have lots of help form the guys at Rovers North. Is there anything in paticular that I should look at when I see this truck except the obvious, like rust? Thanks again guys.
-J

kirkt
01-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I remember reading this FAQ years ago when I started looking:

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

Good luck!

kirk

KevinNY
01-18-2007, 11:28 AM
The seller is on D-90 source quite often. If you are interested get in the car and drive up there. You may get lucky but I would never buy a series sight unseen. Its an easy 5 hour drive, cruise control all the way.

EDIT: too late, sold (Unless you bought it of course)

Tom109
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
If I didn't already have a 2-door 109, I'd be bidding to win this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260076130234

Witha $15k budget, you would end-up with a VERY nice, unique 109. From what I hear, the lower 1-ton gear ratio is terrible on the highway, even for a Series, but how cool are ENV diffs and 900x16 tires!!!

Regards,

Tom P.

galen211
01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
If I didn't already have a 2-door 109, I'd be bidding to win this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260076130234

Witha $15k budget, you would end-up with a VERY nice, unique 109. From what I hear, the lower 1-ton gear ratio is terrible on the highway, even for a Series, but how cool are ENV diffs and 900x16 tires!!!

Regards,

Tom P.

I like it! Something has really turned me on to those 1 tonnes. There stance just makes them look even tougher than a regular Series.

Tom109
01-18-2007, 03:21 PM
This 109 also has a lot of potential, and a lot of early original equipment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-Land-Rover-Series-II-109-3-door-Truck-2-25-Petrol_W0QQitemZ110079572969QQihZ001QQcategoryZ629 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards,

Tom P.

GrFa
01-18-2007, 06:13 PM
$15k should buy you a perfect series or allow you to start with a basket case and build it up the way you want it. Depending on how much time you want to spend and how long you can wait to have it finished. For some reason I have seen lots of 88s for $5-6k recently that either have newer frames or solid frames.

I would say the one biggest thing needed in a series truck is a solid frame, next biggest is a solid bulkhead. If you find a truck with a solid frame and bulkhead everything else is "easy". With a crappy frame you are looking at a doing a frame swap which is a big job and time consuming.

If I were to do it all over, I would have looked for a truck with a solid/useable frame and bulkhead in the $3k range. Then you can drive it and at least use it and there will always be something to do to it. On the other hand my truck is going to come out VERY nice for way less than 15k and will have when complete (new frame, rebuilt bulkhead, new radiator support, full rebuilt axles/brakes/everything underneath the truck, ashcroft high ratio transfer case, all new wiring, all new hydraulics, fresh paint, etc.). But that is a year and a half and doing a lot of the work myself.