PDA

View Full Version : Strange Rover Noise

spechols
01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
OK, I know there are no truly strange rover noises, but I was taking one and a half blind beagles to the vet today and on the way home I hear a new noise. It seems to go with the tire rotation. I am a little paranoid, as some of you know, but this time it is because I just adjusted my front bearings. Turing left or right makes no difference. I know my front brakes drag a little, but this sounds different and when I step on the brakes it does not stop. I tried different gears to see if it is in the transmission or transfer box, but no luck. I turned off the heater blower and no luck. Speed up (it was down hill), slow down, no change. There does not seem to be anything else wrong, rover is driving OK. I turned off the windshield wipers and no change (yes, I have windshield wipers and they work). Finally I got home and pulled into the garage. When I stop the noise is still there. I set the brake and it works fine, even holds. The noise is the same with the motor idling. When I turn of the motor and the noise stops. About five seconds later the noise starts again and I solved it.

Anyone know what it was?

jason
01-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Could it be something as simple as the fan hitting the shroud?

spechols
01-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Could it be something as simple as the fan hitting the shroud?

NOPE - That was not it.
But is was very simple.

jason
01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Since I'm the only one playing, I'll guess again. Was it a grounded or shorted speaker wire humming through a speaker? I know it's presumptuous assuming you have a stereo in that thing.:)

spechols
01-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Since I'm the only one playing, I'll guess again. Was it a grounded or shorted speaker wire humming through a speaker? I know it's presumptuous assuming you have a stereo in that thing.:)

NOPE - No radio - but I sing a lot.

solihull109
01-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I GOT IT !!, You had the other half of the blind beagle there..(under tyre)

spechols
01-22-2007, 07:09 PM
I GOT IT !!, You had the other half of the blind beagle there..(under tyre)

I wish!:D
Actually, I had one blind and one half blind beagle - I guess that would read a little strange.

solihull109
01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
You checked the coolant level at some point, and forgot to fully close the cap, which when pressure built up would cause the cap to "bobble and thump", when you turned the rig off, goodbye to the noise, and it starts all over when fired up!

spechols
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
You checked the coolant level at some point, and forgot to fully close the cap, which when pressure built up would cause the cap to "bobble and thump", when you turned the rig off, goodbye to the noise, and it starts all over when fired up!

It was cooling related - very good!
But the noise started the second time with out the rover fired up.

solihull109
01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I dunno, must be overthinking this one, heck my John Deere is more complicated than a series....:D :confused:

crazyfish
01-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Carey's pet guinea pig got loose in your engine compartment?

spechols
01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Carey's pet guinea pig got loose in your engine compartment?

The noise was not comming from the engine compartment.

spechols
01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
The noise sounded like someone whispering thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt . . . Try it.

As is turns out, this is a common noise in many but not all Series III Land Rovers.

sven
01-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Heater blower?

spechols
01-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Heater blower?

Nope - I turned the blower off and the noise kept going.

crazyfish
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
The dogs tail on the seat.

spechols
01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
The dogs tail on the seat.

Very close!!!!!!!!!;)

sven
01-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Dog farting on the seat?

spechols
01-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Dog farting on the seat?

whooo - "thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt, thunt":eek:
I hope not, but who would know in drafty old Land Rover.:D

solihull109
01-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Your windscreen vents weren't connected properly and would make said noise

spechols
01-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Your windscreen vents weren't connected properly and would make said noise

I have windscreen vent????

Fact is:
It was the blind dog panting behind me.
When I turned off the motor, she stopped to listen.
Then she started panting as soon as I opened the door.
But, I truly thought the Rovers wheel bearings were about to self-destruct.:confused:

solihull109
01-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Yes, you have two of them, directly below your windscreen, they have nifty little levers/handles.

kirkt
01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
That's easy to fix - call your preferred series parts dealer, order a new old stock blind dog and a rebuild kit for original blind dog, then have a shop day, replace the perfectly good original blind dog with the new one and now you have a spare and a rebuild kit to add to the box of perfectly good other spares you have replaced in the past. Also, order a box of 90W dog biscuits.:D

Oh - make sure Sean helps at shop day - he's handy.

spechols
01-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes, you have two of them, directly below your windscreen, they have nifty little levers/handles.

Those are farting vents! Galen needs some in his rover.

spechols
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
That's easy to fix - call your preferred series parts dealer, order a new old stock blind dog and a rebuild kit for original blind dog, then have a shop day, replace the perfectly good original blind dog with the new one and now you have a spare and a rebuild kit to add to the box of perfectly good other spares you have replaced in the past. Also, order a box of 90W dog biscuits.:D

I have too many spare beagles now. In fact I have two spare blind beagles.
Would you like one???? Please:D

solihull109
01-22-2007, 09:56 PM

Now that's funny!

jason
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Post of the year. Well done, Sir.:D