PDA

View Full Version : Rover Treasure Hunt!

solihull109
01-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Just found out some interesting news. Back in the late 60's, early70's Williamsport(of all places) had a Land Rover dealer...Del Hon Land Rover. Well, the dirt is that there is still a location here that has left over storage of NEW parts from the factory as well as a bone stock NEW series truck. Now, this info is coming form a very credible source who knows the owners who have confirmed this. So, the hunt is on, I'm looking into EVERY old building, storage shed, warehouse up here( I'll probably be in jail though for B& E, but it'll be worth it.) If anyone else has info about Del Hon Land Rover that would be great.:cool:

mlp141
01-26-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't have info, but put me at the top of the list -- if there really are NEW Series trucks I got dibs!

Please keep us informed!

Apparently, according to Google, there is a Del Hon car dealership in Beaver, PA. But, the fantastic SonicWall we have at school will not let me open the link. I suppose it doesn't like the word BEAVER. It might prove a good starting point though.

crazyfish
01-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Del HON Auto Sales
630 State Ave
Beaver, PA 15009

Of course, I'd just tell them you are making a map of old time Land Rover dealers, just in case they forgot about the stuff!

galen211
01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
So Carey,

Where do you want to start? Any idea where the dealership was in Billyport?

solihull109
01-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks, I've already checked that out. The L.R. dealer was right here in Williamsport. I've been asking everyone that is a native to here. Some remember, but most do not. I've been told that it was a small shop, actually talked to someone who purchased a 71 lla from them. The problem up here is that this is HUGE blue oval country, and if you don't drive a ford, well....
One person I came across said they remember when there was a place selling those Japanese trucks(? say what?) a long time ago.
From what I've been told to date, there was 1 series truck, I don't what model or any other specifics. Do I think the series is still around,....no. But I do think that the parts might be, from what I've been told so far it's a very good possibility.
So what I'm looking for is proof of this place, ie.-dealer brochure, or anything with the dealers name. I do know that it did exsist, because I've located a series 3 sitting under a huge Hemlock up on rte 14, and on the back it reads Del Hon Land Rover Williamsport Pa. So, at least I know I'm not totally nuts.

galen211
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I do know that it did exsist, because I've located a series 3 sitting under a huge Hemlock up on rte 14, and on the back it reads Del Hon Land Rover Williamsport Pa. So, at least I know I'm not totally nuts.

Will they sell it?

solihull109
01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
So Carey,

Where do you want to start? Any idea where the dealership was in Billyport?
Yes, I was told it was right near Williamsport Mirror and Glass, would make sense, that place is at least 110 yrsold, and that area is filled with buildings/warehouses etc. I've asked the fellow who works at W.M. &G and he said he didn't remember any Land Rovers and he has worked there since 66.---but he's getting up there so I don't know how fresh it would be in his memory. The one fact I do have is they weren't open all that long, so like said, most poeple didn't even hear of them.

solihull109
01-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Will they sell it?
No, it just sits there COVERED in a 2"thick layer of sap. I even offered to build and install a new kitchen for them, no luck. It just sits there.......:(

crazyfish
01-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Get Steve Hoare on it, he has connections to LR, I'll be willing to bet they have a list somewhere.

solihull109
01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
OK, how do I contact him?, is he a member of ROVERS?...I'm new, so you can laugh away if that is a funny question

galen211
01-26-2007, 02:39 PM
If it was anything like the place in State College then it wouldn't have been a "dealership" in the sense we know. The garage in SC would sell them but you had to order it there was nothing on the lot.

It was not uncommon for one of these places to have one on hand, say a 1966, but not sell it till 1968 or something along those lines....

My point is the guy next door may have never known there was a dealership there.

solihull109
01-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I agree, and that's what I think it must have been. I can't believe if it was an "actual" dealership that more people wouldn't have remembered.
So, I'm going to be talking with the guy who purchased the 71 from them later tonight, hopefully I can get some more info....

galen211
01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
BTW, I love your new sig line. I hear banjos everytime I read it.

solihull109
01-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Why I thank you. I think Sean hears them as well, because he seems awfully nervous about venturing up this way.

kirkt
01-26-2007, 02:56 PM
can you check old civic documents or maps/surveys in town hall or the equivalent? Tax documents that may have an address? That is a really cool story - can't wait to see how it turns out. History Channel....

kirk

crazyfish
01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
No, it just sits there COVERED in a 2"thick layer of sap. I even offered to build and install a new kitchen for them, no luck. It just sits there.......:(

yeah but that dealer plate might just fall off in the dark.....

crazyfish
01-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm new, so you can laugh away if that is a funny question
We laugh at you either way.... :p

flippedrover
01-26-2007, 05:23 PM
English to the Rover Treasure Hunt thread. Paging English to the ROver Treasure Hunt thread thank you.

solihull109
01-26-2007, 07:14 PM
yeah but that dealer plate might just fall off in the dark.....
If you knew the area in which it's located.....you don't go there when its dark....it scares me! It's in a location where the locals only go into town once a week for food, if that. Watch Deliverance and you'll get the general idea.

crazyfish
01-27-2007, 11:34 AM
If you knew the area in which it's located.....you don't go there when its dark....it scares me! It's in a location where the locals only go into town once a week for food, if that. Watch Deliverance and you'll get the general idea.

What? Aren't you all related to each other up that way? 'fraid of the kinfolk after dark are ya? :D

solihull109
01-27-2007, 11:42 AM
What? Aren't you all related to each other up that way? 'fraid of the kinfolk after dark are ya? :D
Laugh away fish boy, at least I can tell them I live up here, wait until they see you.....fresh meat, you'll have no where to run:D

Treasure hunt update.....spoke with the fellow who purchased the 71 lla, actually his father did, but anyway, his father still has the original bill of sale etc, and is digging it out as we speak. So at least I have an invoice to track a location.....I hope. I'l keep you posted.

mlp141
01-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Treasure hunt update.....spoke with the fellow who purchased the 71 lla, actually his father did, but anyway, his father still has the original bill of sale etc, and is digging it out as we speak. So at least I have an invoice to track a location.....I hope. I'l keep you posted.

See if you can SCAN or take a photo of the original bill of sale. I'd love to see what that looked like.

mlp141
01-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Actually, I just came across this link:

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.invoice.html

crazyfish
01-28-2007, 06:53 PM
lol in 1973 Land Rover actually has to list Windshield Washers as Standard.

"Oh honey lets get this one! It has Windshield washers AND bug screens!"

One of you NJ guys should be checking out those NJ addresses listed.

sven
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Actually, I just came across this link:

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.invoice.html

Damn, $4200? Wasn't that a lot back in '72?

solihull109
01-28-2007, 09:17 PM
HHHMMMM, good question, but wasn't a VW beetle like $3000 new?....

mlp141
01-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Damn, $4200? Wasn't that a lot back in '72?

According to a website I found: $4200 in 1972 translates to these values using several different indicators.

$19,600.00 using the Consumer Price Index
$15,694.66 using the GDP deflator
$18,869.39 using the unskilled wage
$29,869.86 using the nominal GDP per capita
$42,246.92 using the relative share of GDP

derekdilks
01-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Any updates? Ever get that address from the bill of sale????

solihull109
01-29-2007, 04:02 PM
not yet, I'm out of town all this week, won't have any details until I get home.....

solihull109
01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Okay, found out a little more info tonight. The person who drove that 71 is named "Paul', well his father was looking for the invoice and still has yet to find it. If this guy was like Seans age I'd be bummed, but this fellow is well into his 80's so......can't really get too upset:) , but he did seem to think that it was a Texaco gas station, so Galen, you hit the nail on the head. When I get back home I can at least ask around about the old Texaco and maybe get somewhere with that.
Galen, you mentioned that a service station in State College had sold Rovers at one point. Do you know them? Maybe they might be aware of this station in Williamsport that sold them as well, maybe they could also shed some light....???

crazyfish
01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Actually Galen found the place, he bought the NOS rover 88 (actually had 124 miles on it) for $1500 and is bringing it to SCC as soon as he can replace a few bad seals and put a fresh battery in it.

solihull109
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Sure he did, ....you better exhale before you pass out!

derekdilks
02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Found this ad in the 1967 Willaimsport Sun Gazzette, Har-Wel not Del Hon??

mlp141
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Has anyone checked in and around that address?

galen211
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Derek,

Where did you find the Sun-Gazette ad? Excellent detective work there.

Third street is one of the two main drags running through town (the other being Fourth street.) Not sure about the number address though and where along 3rd Street that is.

solihull109
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I know about that shop, it was after Del Hon....I never thought that anyone would even know what a british vehicle was in Williamsport let alone have more than 3 shops who serviced them

derekdilks
02-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Derek,

Where did you find the Sun-Gazette ad? Excellent detective work there.

Third street is one of the two main drags running through town (the other being Fourth street.) Not sure about the number address though and where along 3rd Street that is.

I have a subscription to www.newspaperarchive.com so I thought I'd poke around and see if Williamsport was in the database, would you believe they had 7 local newspapers? I used keywords like "Del Hon", "Texaco", "Land Rover" etc. from 1950-1975 got no hits on Del Hon, but lots on Texaco and some on LR I can send you some ads from the Texaco station of you want....

crazyfish
02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
whoa, that site is excellent!

derekdilks
02-01-2007, 11:40 PM
whoa, that site is excellent!

Yes I've lost many hours on this site.....

not related to this treasure hunt, but I found this ad, pretty cool

sven
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Yes I've lost many hours on this site.....

not related to this treasure hunt, but I found this ad, pretty cool

Is that Clearfield PA? Wow, of all places to have a LR dealership I would never expect Clearfield to have one...very cool.

kirkt
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Is that Clearfield PA? Wow, of all places to have a LR dealership I would never expect Clearfield to have one...very cool.

I thought the exact same thing when I read that ad. Very cool. I am glad to hear that Land Rovers don't rot or rust!

galen211
02-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Rover dealers must have been all over the place.

Clearfield, State College, Williamsport. Evan's came from a dealer in Allentown.

This begs the question, why aren't more Series trucks around? They don't rust so they must be around somewhere.:rolleyes:

solihull109
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
This begs the question, why aren't more Series trucks around? They don't rust so they must be around somewhere.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
I've been on a ton of hunts looking for them, someone tells you this or that and it always turned out to be an old willy's, an FJ 40, or nothing at all.........:(

tikicar
02-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I just looked in my old 1960s Enfranchised Rover & Land Rover dealers booklet. There is no listing for that dealership. So it existed before or after the book. So they were out of buisness or in buisness before this book was printed. It has a series 2 on it but no date. The dealer in York is still listed and I think they were done by the late 60s. My dad worked there in the early 60s. You might want to check the Library for old newspaper ads. They probably ran an ad for the dealership. Good Luck.

bens101fc
02-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Here is a link to a list of addresses for the dealerships in PA for 1969. (The damn forum didn't like the image size and it wasn't going to resize well so it's a link not an attachment). Williamsport is listed. The whole list for 1969 is 28 images.

http://www.lrfaq.org/USdealerships1969/2008-18.jpg

The full list of images is: -02 to -28

Someone asked with all of the dealerships, why are there so few LRs? The concept of a dealership is very different today than back in the 1960s. A garage could be a "dealership" for LR (and maybe other brands). They might only sell one or two LRs a year. Or even get 99% of there income from repairing cars and only sell the odd car every so often.

Ben

crazyfish
02-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Whoa! Doylestown, right up the road, they used to be a dealership for Jeep, but lost that about 2 years ago. They are still there. Wonder if they have back stock.....