PDA

View Full Version : Chassis question

Willard
02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Ok so my 109 chassis is not restorable. So i have found a 109 chassis that is is good condition. As mine is a military 3 door chassis, it was important to use a 3 door military chassis as a replacement. this is what i have found.

So my question is this. As the chassis is an '83. How will this affect any inspections in Virginia? My Series is a '74, and in about 4 months (that is when i will have time) I will start it's restoration. Right now it has Vintage tags and is registered as such. So i can drive it 250 miles from home, for testing and for events and some pleasure use only..(never to work). When i finish the restoration, i can get it inspected (safety) and will be able to drive it every day on the vintage plates if i wish. As i will want to go to the Events around the country i will get it inspected, i am just worried about having a chassis and Body # frame that do not match.....any ideas, suggestions would be great.

Sorry for the long winded post.

crazyfish
02-11-2007, 01:50 PM
There is a 109 chassis on ebay right now, marsland, fitted for v8, brand new. Someone smarter can tell if you can swap the engine mounts, and if anything else is different.

I've never been able to find the # on the frame, and no one else official has ever looked, so - who cares?

Any maybe you had a typo - 1963 right?

solihull109
02-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Lets not put the cart before the horse here. What indications do you have that facilitates the need for a replacement chassis? Are you missing outriggers?, rear x member non exsitant? Or is it in two pieces? If it's any of the first two, they're repairable and could save you some money. If it's in two pcs however, to the scrap yard you go. So, if you can provide some more info as to what sparked the need, unless you just want a new one, maybe I can answer some more questions. Would love to give out any help I can...except for helping Sean that is:)

flippedrover
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
You won't need to worry about it. Just take it and get it saftey inspected and you'll be fine. I've always been under the impression that if you want to daily drive a vintage car you had to have regular tags for it.

Willard
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Ok to answer some questions.
yes i saw the one on Ebay. I have sourced on in very good condition and an actual Military Rover frame with the square rear crossmember.

No not a typo it is a '83. It was shipped from England, the guy did not use it or got two so i was told. It is setup for right hard drive, but has the mounts for left hand drive. so that will work for mine.

My frame is bad. about the rear crossmember is well, completely gone. About 16-24 (have to measure) inches of the rear frame is badly rotted and mostly gone.
Rear out riggers, Left had rear front spring mount is about to fall off. the rest of the outriggers up to about the rear bulkhead are mostly gone and beyond repair.
from the front of the rear bulkhead to the front of the front horns the chassis is good. So just about in 1/2. I thought about getting some metal stock and rewelding the parts that were real bad but upon closer inspection i decided not to. i did not feel it was worth the time to repair it as i got a complete frame (just have to pick it up) for a very good price.
As it is a 109 and an Ex military LHD 3 door (with full hard top) and complete (hey i even got the shovel and the rear bumperetts) with full documentation since release from the military (even have the release papers) i wanted to restore (or recondition it as i am not touching much of the body)

As for daily driving a vintage vehicle in VA, i read the rules and talked to the DMV when i got them and was told just that. If i get it inspected i can use it for general transport. If not i can only drive it for events, up to 250 miles from my house, for some pleasure use and for testing on the roads.

So as the military frames have a thick undercoating on them, i will see where my chassis # is and if it is covered up i will not worry to much. When i replace it this summer, i should be ok for inspection. thanks for the ideas and thoughts and once i start my restoration i will be posting Pics of the fun.....once i get it started (no time to try) i will be taking some better pictures, especially of the Norwegian Military additions (you can see some of the outside ones on the pics in my sig).:D

galen211
02-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Isn't '83 when Land Rover switched from Series leaf to 90/110 coil springs?

Is the frame meant for leaf springs or coils?

Also, in regards to inspection they won't even look or care. These trucks are re-framed all the time and it has never been a problem. Also, if you have the money and time and I would reframe the truck. You'll be better off in the long run.

Willard
02-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks,

Yes a reframe is the way to go for sure.
I was told it (as was the owner) was an '83 and yes it is setup for leaf springs. I will know more when i see it in person. It is setup for both right and Left hand steering, so it is a later model frame as the earlier model frames i have seen were either left or right but without the ability to do both.

flippedrover
02-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks,

Yes a reframe is the way to go for sure.
I was told it (as was the owner) was an '83 and yes it is setup for leaf springs. I will know more when i see it in person. It is setup for both right and Left hand steering, so it is a later model frame as the earlier model frames i have seen were either left or right but without the ability to do both.
Let me know if you need a hand since I'm just down the Greenway from ya.

Willard
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Let me know if you need a hand since I'm just down the Greenway from ya.

hey thanks and will do. Might just need that extra pair of hands.....